110 mph rev limites

mr-fabricator

183kmph was what i saw when i had a road long enough , from memory that was about 10k and rev limit . Engine is way looser now and have a rev limit of 11k pluss the option of a 44 t rear , unfortunatly no long tarmac to try and hit 200 ! Grrrrr

Interestingly on my tracks longest straight ( witch isnt very long ) i saw about the same top speed before turn 7 with standard 45 and the 44t rear. Im back to standard gearing as it suits the track but perhaps try the 44 again soon as ive found a lot more pace and taller gears may help while still being in the torque zone .

If it was a road bike id go for a 46 rear and leave it at that .

Regards lee

RobbiRob76

Has anyone verified these speeds with GPS? I owned a Honda Motorcycle dealership for 10 years before selling and moving to So Cal. All Honda's were set 5 mph faster on display to keep people legally below posted speed limits. We sold a lot of "Speedo Healers" due to this practice of Honda.

reenmachine

Country flag
Has anyone verified these speeds with GPS? I owned a Honda Motorcycle dealership for 10 years before selling and moving to So Cal. All Honda's were set 5 mph faster on display to keep people legally below posted speed limits. We sold a lot of "Speedo Healers" due to this practice of Honda.
For another KTM data point, my 1190 Adventure reads close to 10% over true speed as measured with multiple GPS units, and this is everyone's experience with that bike that I've spoken to or seen online. I've gotten really good at mental arithmetic!

Ryanthegreat1

Honda was recently in trouble for this with their cars. They were more than 10% fast getting them out of warranty faster.

I know my VFR is WAYYYY optimistic. I think 135 indicated is more like 119 actual. Stock tire sizes and gearing.

On that note, has anyone found a larger front sprocket for the RC390? Does such a thing exist? Would like to lower my highway cruise RPM a bit if I decide to do some light touring. The good roads are a distance from me.

ryandalling

I went down two teeth in back and now I am comfortably at 110 without going anywhere near the rev limiter. Although, it doesn't seem to have anything else to push beyond that. Hits it fast and then loses rev. I was hoping to get more top speed. May try the 44 instead of the 43 and see how that feels. Down two is in back is the closest I could find to going up one in the front. IF that helps any.

Also, every motorcycle I've owned seemed pretty far off on their MPH readings.

Rodolfo

183kmph was what i saw when i had a road long enough , from memory that was about 10k and rev limit . Engine is way looser now and have a rev limit of 11k pluss the option of a 44 t rear , unfortunatly no long tarmac to try and hit 200 ! Grrrrr

Interestingly on my tracks longest straight ( witch isnt very long ) i saw about the same top speed before turn 7 with standard 45 and the 44t rear. Im back to standard gearing as it suits the track but perhaps try the 44 again soon as ive found a lot more pace and taller gears may help while still being in the torque zone .

If it was a road bike id go for a 46 rear and leave it at that .

Regards lee

How did you get the 11k rev limiter?

I was on the open road on a long straight,

On the track I am not even close to hitting the rev limiter, I dont know what kind of straights are on the track of everyone else, but I just ordered the 46 sprocket for a bit better acceleration, as the rev limiter on sixth gear is still a bit far I am doing like 105mph on the straight right now, with stock gearing.

mr-fabricator

Hey rodolfo , i run the race dynamics piggy back ecu , stock rev limit of 10k was terrible so needed it raised , the akra map that ktm can load to your ecu has a raised rev limit to 10250 which is perfect . I dont use the 11k but u need the buffer of a few hundred rpm to stop u hitting the limiter upto sixth .

Regards lee

Fasteddy

Country flag
I have looked on the net and found the rev limiter quoted at 11K , so that is what I entered in the earlyier post about gearing commander. I have now searched again and found references to 10K also, I could not find a spec in the owners manual or the shop manual so I may have been worng with the 11K reference.

Does anyone know for sure?

Fasteddy

Rodolfo

Thanks Lee

Now I just need to get my ktm dealer to load me the ktm map, but they dont seem to know anything about it

It is kind of a new ktm dealer, and the people there are not very informed, lucky me

mr-fabricator

Its a ktm map to suite the akra kit but will work perfectly on the stock bike ,

Stock bikes are way rich the akra is still rich , get the k&n filter or possibly better still the DNA one ( mine is on order )

U need the ecu on the bike for them to load the map , half hour labour charge is typical or around 40-60usd but dont quote me . If u go to a piggy back ecu later on it will work with the ktm map stock or akra as piggy back will work from 7ish k onwards .

I was chatting with a duke 390 owner sunday and claims he had a 11k limit stock . Their seems to be many variants . Try setting the shift light upper limit to max ?? Im not sure but if u set to mak it may allow a few more revs .. i didnt try it as i had the race dynamics prom the go .

Regards lee

guzz46

Its a ktm map to suite the akra kit but will work perfectly on the stock bike ,

Stock bikes are way rich the akra is still rich , get the k&n filter or possibly better still the DNA one ( mine is on order )

U need the ecu on the bike for them to load the map , half hour labour charge is typical or around 40-60usd but dont quote me . If u go to a piggy back ecu later on it will work with the ktm map stock or akra as piggy back will work from 7ish k onwards .

I was chatting with a duke 390 owner sunday and claims he had a 11k limit stock . Their seems to be many variants . Try setting the shift light upper limit to max ?? Im not sure but if u set to mak it may allow a few more revs .. i didnt try it as i had the race dynamics prom the go .

Regards lee

Really? ryandalling said he had his on the dyno and said it runs lean.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I have looked on the net and found the rev limiter quoted at 11K , so that is what I entered in the earlyier post about gearing commander. I have now searched again and found references to 10K also, I could not find a spec in the owners manual or the shop manual so I may have been worng with the 11K reference.

Does anyone know for sure?

Fasteddy

Stock ktm map rev limit is 10k, akra map is 10,250. Look at my dyno graphs in my gallery. Verified lots lol.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Really? ryandalling said he had his on the dyno and said it runs lean.

I suspect its lean in closed loop, and border line rich above 7.5k on if its stock pipe and map. If it has a pipe and akra map, its way rich from 7k up, and same lean(er) below is what mine have shown. Ryan what is your combo and can we see your dyno data?