'15 cup suspension mods

avs

Country flag
Hello,

I just purchased a '15 cup bike with 1mile on the odometer.(KTM had used it for a media event, this one had the least amount of rash) my intent is to use it for track days and club racing in the Sr group (I'm 60+).

the front end seems stiff compared to the rear. the sag front/rear from adding me in street clothes is 18mm/60mm. given it is a smaller bike, I figure my weight may be biased to the rear compared to a liter bike, but the rear does feel more compliant.

My question is for anyone experienced with these upgraded forks/shock components regarding valving. Should I expect to just re-spring for my weight (190+) or will the valving need changing?

Thanks for any head's up on what I am getting into.

avs

Country flag
I started to pull the fork spring but just below the fork cap there is a hood covering the locknut, is there a trick to removing the fork cap?

yowsaboss

Country flag
What ReidMcT is offering goes far beyond what you're looking at, if you just want to swap out the springs. You just need one of these-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

(not my ad, I have no dog in this fight)

As the ad photo clearly shows, the rods on the compressor screw into the holes in the spacer. You compress the spring, put the plate under the nut, holding the spacer out of the way, allowing access to the nut. Break the nut loose, and then unthread/ remove the cap. A good idea to back off the compression/ rebound adjuster needles before you do this. And it helps to have a third hand to insert the plate under the nut. But it can be done by one person, it's an acquired skill.

Hello,

I just purchased a '15 cup bike with 1mile on the odometer.(KTM had used it for a media event, this one had the least amount of rash) my intent is to use it for track days and club racing in the Sr group (I'm 60+).

the front end seems stiff compared to the rear. the sag front/rear from adding me in street clothes is 18mm/60mm. given it is a smaller bike, I figure my weight may be biased to the rear compared to a liter bike, but the rear does feel more compliant.

My question is for anyone experienced with these upgraded forks/shock components regarding valving. Should I expect to just re-spring for my weight (190+) or will the valving need changing?

Thanks for any head's up on what I am getting into.

KFG Motorsports in Auburn Washington has a lot of time and knowledge in the cup forks. I had mine revalved, springs and compression needles installed. This made the from end feel much better. I would suggest to at least get the rear end sprung properly, I replaced the rear with a Penske myself.

avs

Country flag
thanks all for the info. The cup fork internals are not inverted like the standard, i just need to get a wrench in under a plastic bit block access to the locknut.

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
Oops, sorry. The Cup has a different fork than the street version, doesn't it? A 'typical' closed cartridge fork with spring on top?

avs

Country flag
Does anyone have a source for the o-rings on the compression valve needle adjusters? i got to ride this over the weekend, and tried to reset the compression damping. I was surprised to have oil on the screwdriver blade after setting the compression valves, both sides would get a glob of oil when turning out from bottoming the screw.