2015 RC390, 7k miles... blown motor

VremGO

Country flag
Bought my 390 about 3.5(?) years ago, warranty expired around 3 yrs ago, only 7k miles on the clock and the motor blew up, electric fan failed with warranty repair in the first 90 miles among several other warranty fixes but anyway...

Coolant in the combustion chamber and a little in the oil, slighty bent exhaust valves from touching the piston, piston frozen in the sleeve and the whole bottom end is pretty much toast from the rod cap separating and being tossed around it looks like...

Motor's in pieces at a local dealer waiting for their KTM tech to get back from vacation to see if KTM will cover it or not, so 2-3 weeks of suspense, KTM didn't sound very encouraging in a "we stand behind our products" kind of way when I called their customer support line probably due to it being way out of warranty (but only 7k miles!), really hoping I don't have to shell out $2000+ to fix a 3 year old bike with 7k miles on it, that's probably worth not even $4000 in good condition... wish me luck gents. I know these bikes aren't the highest of quality coming from india, especially the earlier year ones, but man I've had some bad luck with this thing. If they don't cover it I'll definitely be looking at an ebay motor to upgrade the head gasket/cam/whatever else people do to make these beefier/faster... hoping for the best though.

I know these have had a lot of head gasket issues looking around the forum/google... anyone else have any big failures like this?

20190819_124109.jpg20190819_124202.jpg20190819_131102.jpg20190819_131108.jpg20190819_131113.jpg20190819_131132.jpg20190819_132253.jpg

mdabyo

Country flag
if they don't cover ya let me know. i may be parting out a race bike but would want to sell the motor first. has all the things you would want to do to make it reliable.

Top-end engine upgrade with KTM performance valve spring kit (includes new single valve springs, valve stem seals, hardened spring seats, keepers and Ti retainers) installed by Pro6 Cycle.Page Not Found Thinner head gasket (professional done with a skim taken off the head to smooth it out. i have raced it for 2 years and had NO head gasket issues!!!!)
- Manual Timing chain tensioner (needed as the stock is crap)- Factory Pro F-Pro microbearing Pro Shift Kit includes hybrid ceramic microbearing detent arm and a slightly stronger F-Pro blue shift spring that make shifting quicker and virtually eliminates missed shifts.KTM Store :: KTM Street Powerparts :: 390 DUKE :: Engine Performance :: KTM 390 SHIFT DETENT ARM BY FACTORY PRO

mmatusacebo

In the shop we had a similar case but it was a Duke 200 2018. Blown motor at 690 miles (valve broke and got stock in the piston) and the factory covered all the work and pieces because it was still on the warranty period (bike was 6 months old). In that way, the company really takes care of their customers.

About your RC being 3 years old, i dont't think that they are obligated to cover anything. Good luck mate!

VremGO

Country flag
Any updates?

New motor covered by KTM, it's a fresh 2019 motor with the new head gasket/piston barrel and anything else they've changed over the years so hopefully it'll be good this time. Put 600 miles and 2 oil changes on it, did a valve adjustment (all were slightly out of spec just like last motor... also 2019 has different valve clearance specs than 2015 but i'm pretty sure the same parts numbers, weird), two day trackday at jennings this weekend will serve as the initial proving grounds. Slipper clutch as a free upgrade is a nice touch, it's noticeably smoother for sure.