2016 RC390 Stock engine sound question with video

Coloradorc390

Hey guys! My 2016 rc390 currently has 3400 miles. I've currently only had one oil change at 600 miles in August 2018. My next oil change/service is next week. A few days ago I noticed no oil in the sight glass when sitting cold. While running i would see little spurts of oil going into the sight glass. After shutting it off and letting it sit I still didnt see any oil sitting in the sight glass. I decided to add just under .2 of a liter of oil to the engine and that brought it up past the minimum line(picture below). My question is does my engine sound normal? Thanks!

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 9
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
You were definitely low on oil, and a year overdue for oil change. Also due for brake fluid change, and a number of other annual items.

Your engine sounds normal to me.

Coloradorc390

For the most part the bike has sat for the last year. All the miles i put on were from aug 2018(when i bought the bike) through the end of 2019. The last year the bike has sat in the garage. From here on I plan on oil changes every 2000 miles. I have a service appointment at KTM next week to get all new fluids and take care of what ever else it's due for. Thanks for your response :) Any suggestion on a good track/stret tire? I plan on doing a few track days this year and would like to get a suitable tire for street/track use. Thanks!

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
For the track I really like Michelin Power Cup Evo tires. They get hot in one lap and are made to run low pressure - about 22 pounds. Others will have other favorites.

2000 miles is hyper-frequent... almost makes me want to ask for your used oil to put in my bike! ;-)

I called out overdue services based on time, not miles, per the owners manual schedule.

1JZSupra

Country flag
Don't forget when you are checking the oil you should lean the bike left and right to get all the oil down into the pan and then stand it upright while checking (Not on an engine stand).