2017 RC390 rider seat height adjustment question

RC390SanDiego

Hey everyone!

New to the forum, thanks for allowing me to post!

I am 5'4 and I tippytoe on the bike. Some people tell me this is OK and others tell me its not a good idea. The dealership I bought it from recommended to adjust the spring which will lower the height but I am worried that it will change the suspension geometry for when I take curves or track it eventually. I want to lower the height but I don't want to mess with the suspension if you know what I mean. Those who have done it OR have experience, please let me know what you think.

PS: I don't have my license yet but I bought the bike cuz I got a good deal. Though I have ridden it in my parking lot after watching some YT videos on how to ride. Once rolling, I am comfortable. I get my formal training on Monday and then its off to DMV for license!

PPS: Shout out to all my SoCal / San Diegans!

Last edited:

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
You only need to tippy toe with one foot. You can also always scoot your butt over to one side to get you a little more reach. Anyone who tells you that not being able to flat foot both feet is a bad idea is an idiot. You don't want to adjust the suspension to be able to get a foot down easier when stopped. The bike is going to need the suspension setup for while riding, not while sitting at a stop.

You'll learn most of this at your beginners riders course. Ask the specific question tho, so you can hear them tell you and get their help with your body position and how to deal with a shorter inseam.

Welcome to the RC community! :)

SoCalRC

Country flag
I guess I'll jump on this thread. We are in San Diego too. My 21 yr old daughter is learning to ride and bought the '17 RC and I drove it home. I was already familiar with these as a fan and have often thought of buying an RC, had ridden my friend's 390 Duke before, and I came from liter bikes in the past. Anyway, I skimmed the maunual and service manual as well and found no spec for how far I can raise the forks in the clamps. I mean, I could go old school and throw a zip tie on the fork slider and go for a ride and see how much clearance there is to the front fender from the underside of the OEM running light, etc. But anyway, 20mm or so is prob going to be the starting point along with the 1 inch drop in the rear with the shock eye change. I've softened the preload for her since she is 115 lbs and her boots have a tiny amount of platform on them. Only other thing is to go with a shorter sidewall rear tire...and only 1 brand makes 1 tire in the 140/60/17 size, and that nets us on paper a 1/4" reduction in ride height...not sure it is worth an inferior tire for a 1/4". Lol.