2018 Ninja 400

Seth

Country flag
Love My RC. Nothing wrong at all. Just stumbled upon the competition...

Article from the motorcyclist::

What does $5,299 buy you in 2018?
Let's start here:

Kawasaki's Ninja 400 ABS, a sport motorcycle made in Japan. Basic specs include a 399cc engine (from a 70mm bore and a 51.8mm stroke) with liquid cooling, chain driven, and a 3.7-gallon fuel tank.
Specifications
Engine
Bore (MM)
Compression Ratio
11.5:1
Cooling
Liquid
Displacement in CC
Displacement in CI
Engine Type
Parallel Twin
Starter
Electric
Stroke
Valve Configuration
DOHC
Transmission
Numer Of Speeds
Transmission Type
Manual
Tires
Front Tire
Dunlop® Sportmax GPR-300: 110/70 x 17
Rear Tire
Dunlop® Sportmax GPR-300: 150/70 x 17
Brakes
Front Brake Diameter
Front Brake Type
Hydraulic Disc
Rear Brake Diameter
Rear Brake Type
Hydraulic Disc
Suspension & Steering
Air Adjustable
No
Front Suspension Type
Telescopic Fork
Rear Adjustable Rebound Damping
No
Rear Adjustable Shock / Spring Pre-Load
Yes
Rear Suspension Brand Name
UNI-TRAK®
Rear Suspension Type
Twin Sided Swing Arm
Seat Height (in)
Other
Fuel Capacity (gal)
Manufacturer Country
Japan
Manufacturer Type
Sport
Wet Weight (lbs)
3662018_Kawasaki_Ninja400_ABS.jpg
Wheelbase (in)

https://www.cycleworld.com/kawasaki-blows-lid-off-entry-level-class-with-2018-ninja-400

Last edited:

karizzle38

i've had the ninja 250, ninja 300 and now rc390. ninja 400 seems like a logical progression lol. i'd be interested to see if anyone on this forum makes the switch and then posts a head to head comparison. i am tempted to make the switch, but even with all the issues with our bikes, i still think the KTM is more unique and special. anyone planning on making the switch?

Seth

Country flag
i've had the ninja 250, ninja 300 and now rc390. ninja 400 seems like a logical progression lol. i'd be interested to see if anyone on this forum makes the switch and then posts a head to head comparison. i am tempted to make the switch, but even with all the issues with our bikes, i still think the KTM is more unique and special. anyone planning on making the switch?

I look at my 2015 and still stare, such a good looking bike. I like that it is a single so its not so wide too.

Last edited:

kayabusa

Country flag
The RC definitely has character over the R3 or Ninja 300

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is why I love my RC

1ed4618e47796cc3ca035b6bff4ff6ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I risk the reliability issues, deal with the shit fuel capacity, all because I think the RC390 is a cool bike full of character. And it's truly a great track weapon! I have multiple bikes so a HG blowing won't keep me off two wheels. As my only bike, I'd reconsider..

Last edited:

green_bread

Country flag
For those of you wondering about how the Ninja 400 stacks up to the RC390, I have experience on both now and I will tell you - the Ninja 400 absolutely blows the RC out of the water, power-wise. With only a full M4 exhaust (no Power Commander or any other mods/tuning done), I was able to hit 115 mph (indicated) in 5th gear on the Ninja 400 before I ran out of road. For comparison, my RC 390 topped out at 111 (indicated) in 6th gear and took a while to get there. The punch out of the corner on the 400 is just as good, if not better than the RC AND you get the top end power from the parallel twin.

Just look at WSS300. The only bikes keeping up with the Ninja 400s are the RC390R's with their $10k+ "race kit" thats giving them around 50 whp. That, and ONE R3 that has an absolutely amazing rider on it who is riding at the limit the entire time (this is also after they said they were implementing changes to balance things out... which, Im not sure if they actually implemented the changes at Assen, or not).

Ive owned my RC390 since it was first released in early 2015. Ive ridden it on the street as a commuter, then turned it in to a race bike and raced it for the last 2 years. As soon as I twisted the throttle on the Ninja 400, I was ready to sell my RC and move on to the bike that is going to be the clear winner in the Ultralight classes around the country. I love the RC, but the Ninja 400 is just better, plain and simple.... and I havent even talked about the rest of the components on the bike which are just as good as the stock RC components, if not better, IMHO.

Andy

Country flag
Was in a local bike shop today looking at the GSXR-125 and GSX250R, shame they don't do a 400 type. Sorry but I'm not digging that Ninja 400 look, not a fan of the H2 type styling and preferred the Ninja 300 look.

However it is a good addition to the class and the Junior Supersport series in various countries which in turn means newer models and new manufacturers!

WannaGoFast

My decision was between the 2017 RC 390 and the 2018 Kawi 400. I went with the RC because the bike was just over a grand cheaper and the insurance was less. I regret my decision, should have got the Kawi... Not even 150 kms on the RC and I'm already having issues. Will be switching over asap.

isaac_

My decision was between the 2017 RC 390 and the 2018 Kawi 400. I went with the RC because the bike was just over a grand cheaper and the insurance was less. I regret my decision, should have got the Kawi... Not even 150 kms on the RC and I'm already having issues. Will be switching over asap.

What kind of issues?

I wish people didn’t give up on the bikes so easily [emoji53]

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I competed against my first ninja 400 with an unknown amount of mods this weekend at PIR. There is absolutely no comparison, that bike is brutally fast.

isaac_

I competed against my first ninja 400 with an unknown amount of mods this weekend at PIR. There is absolutely no comparison, that bike is brutally fast.

Get the KTM race package and beat it! But yes, I competed against a few this weekend and I can’t keep up regardless of what I do.

WannaGoFast

The bike doesn't start every time I try. I think it came with some sort of connection problem, I often have to do the start sequence 5 or 6 times before it will turn over, if at all. When I go in to have my first service done I'll have it looked at. I just find this engine to be a pain in the ass. I have a hard time finding neutral from first when stopped at a light, the single cylinder itself lugs constantly unless you keep the RPMs up, which requires constant shifting and attention... I'm unimpressed with the brake and clutch levers.. There is way to much wiggle in them, and as a result it feels cheap. I'm at 650 kms now, and havn't been exceeding 7500 rpm, so I havn't had the full experience of the bike quite yet. I'm looking forward to after 1000 kms to see if the engine loosens and how it responds to the upper end of the rev range, but to me it looks like this bike will only be around one season.

isaac_

The bike doesn't start every time I try. I think it came with some sort of connection problem, I often have to do the start sequence 5 or 6 times before it will turn over, if at all. When I go in to have my first service done I'll have it looked at. I just find this engine to be a pain in the ass. I have a hard time finding neutral from first when stopped at a light, the single cylinder itself lugs constantly unless you keep the RPMs up, which requires constant shifting and attention... I'm unimpressed with the brake and clutch levers.. There is way to much wiggle in them, and as a result it feels cheap. I'm at 650 kms now, and havn't been exceeding 7500 rpm, so I havn't had the full experience of the bike quite yet. I'm looking forward to after 1000 kms to see if the engine loosens and how it responds to the upper end of the rev range, but to me it looks like this bike will only be around one season.

The KTM likes to be on the higher end of the revs. I heard the new ones are locked until 1000 miles. Give it time. It is a fun ride. Brake and clutch levers can be adjusted.