2020 RC390 suspension troubles

acruhl

Country flag
I really hope someone knows about this and can respond...

A friend of mine bought an Ohlins rear shock and cartridge kit from a reputable online suspension dealer for his 2020 RC390. I'm hoping to do the same thing on mine.

I saw another thread that says Ohlins doesn't make a rear shock for the 2020.

As crazy as this sounds, this may actually be the case. The Ohlins rear shock won't go in, it hits the airbox.

The shop doing the cartridge kit in the forks is having problems too, but not sure yet if it's a 2020 problem.

(I just want to say I hold no ill will toward Ohlins or the dealer, it seems more like a KTM lack of information problem.)

Is it really the case that the 2020 is different in regards to suspension?

Also, I have seen no online parts fiche for the 2020 either. I bought a few 2019 parts that fit my 2020.

Really surprising if this is in fact the case.

matadorCE

Country flag
I put an ohlins shock on my '20, no problems at all with the exception fitting the reservoir. The actual shock goes in no problem once you've loosened the rear fender.

matadorCE

Country flag
It's on another thread, basically you have to find a way to put and tighten the screws for the frame bracket. This has nothing to do with the shock itself fitting on the bike though, that was a breeze one you got the fender out of the way.

acruhl

Country flag
Ok my friend is telling me the reservoir tube is installed incorrectly for the 2020 such that you would have to loosen it and move it to make it clear the airbox (I think, I hope that's what I heard). I'll look for the other thread.

Apparently the 2020 fork is different as well.

matadorCE

Country flag
Are we talking about the KT303 shock? My '20 is all stock and I had no problem with the reservoir hose or any part of the shock contacting any part of the bike or bodywork. If the shock came with the hose oriented the wrong way, that would be a major error from Ohlins or whoever he bought the shock from.

acruhl

Country flag
Now I'm hearing my bike is a 2020.5 and might be different from an earlier 2020. I'd like to hear more about that if anyone knows.

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
I think you should contact KTM customer service to find out if indeed there is a unique 20.5 model.

acruhl

Country flag
It appears the Ohlins KT801 rear shock will fit. It's sold as a 390 Duke shock and it's part of the "street" line from what I'm reading. I don't think that matters, it's an Ohlins and it can be made to do what I would need it to do. The reservoir mounts on the rider's left side using the passenger peg mounts. More soon, hopefully.

matadorCE

Country flag
So is there such a thing as a 2020.5 model, and if so what are the changes? I didn't think has changed considering the RC is due for a total model change

acruhl

Country flag
Still haven't found out yet, but it does appear that our bikes have an airbox not compatible with the KT303 shock. The KT801 has a cutout in the shock body that just clears the airbox, which might mean our bikes have a 390 Duke airbox, or a modified airbox. It's not unheard of for a final model year to start using new parts from the next model year, that might be the case here. More info when I know it.

matadorCE

Country flag
Did you check the parts fiche to see if the part number is the same from a 2018-2019 to a 2020 or if a 2020.5 shows up?

acruhl

Country flag
I haven't found a parts fiche for 2020, have you? Bike Bandit apparently had one up and now they only have a partial one.

matadorCE

Country flag
I've found the engine one for the 2020 but only up to 2019 for the body. Weird that ktm wouldn't put one up considering it's practically 2021

acruhl

Country flag
Thank you! Also according to this the forks are a different part number for 2020 compared to 2019 as well. My dealer ordered the Andreani specifically for the 2020 so hopefully it works.

acruhl

Country flag
Wait I spoke too soon. You gave me a link to the CN bike and I'm looking at the US bike. The forks are the same between 2019 and 2020 in that case. But the airbox is different.

Fasteddy

Country flag
You are correct! I seem to have clicked wrong one, Did you see how the 'usage' search works? enter part number and find all uses of that part...
partsfinder is a great tool from KTM...

acruhl

Country flag
I did not check that. That's a cool feature.

OK, my dealer ordered Andreani internals based on my bike being a 2020, and the parts are wrong. So I believe the forks on my late 2020 bike are not the same as 2019 or possibly earlier 2020. I don't know if they are the same as an earlier type, or Duke, or something else entirely. My dealer is figuring it out. Hopefully.

This is not super duper cool.