2022 First Race Review

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Short(ish) 2022 RC 390 review.
TLDR; buy one as it made improvements over the old model beyond my wildest expectations.
Long form:
I raced the 22 RC this weekend at Round 4 of OMRRA in the Ultralightweight super sport classes of which I have spent almost all of my racing career on the old generation RC. This bike is an immense improvement over the old model and I can't exactly place my finger on where the best changes were made. The chassis is the most communicative and confidence inspiring thing I have ever ridden, previously raced an R6, 890 Duke R, RC8, 15 rc 390, 19 RC390R, 1290 SDR, Ninja 250, CB160. The feedback is so impressive that all of my brake markers were shorter by 50-100 ft depending on how aggressive I needed to be. I knew exactly what the tire was doing at all times which allowed me to push beyond what I knew possible. The aero package mixed with the increased corner speeds meant that me and my team mate were able to catch all of the Ninja 400s that raced in the wave before us and beat every single on of them. Sunday air temperatures were around 100-103F and I posted two lap times that were closing in on lap records, ULW SS was .255 seconds off a new record and in the ULW GP I was exactly .1 off a new record.
Of all the parts tested most performed flawlessly, I will be making the following changes as parts availability becomes more widespread.
MTC is a problem and a very aggressive intervention, I turn it off for every race but its annoying. Not sure I am going to change it as I like having the speedo but figured it was worth mentioning.
The factory quickshift is close to perfect but not close enough to work every time for me, which means I will be looking for an aftermarket unit. That being said, my teammate had 0 issues what so ever. This was used only for upshifts as downshifts it is 100% useless.
I am working with Moto Master to get their T drive brake rotors as both me and my team mates are in poor shape after 1 race weekend.
I will be developing an aluminum subframe as that is one of the few areas my rulebook will allow me to develop.
I will develop a front stay that is lighter, the stock one is very good but can be lighter and put the dash in a better spot for real clip ons.
Mod list
RP Exhaust, Sebimoto fairings, Driver Halo Clip ons, Rapidbike racing piggyback module, SBS DC pads, 415 drive kit from Formula 390, WP pro component shock and fork cartridge, DNA air filter, Pirelli Slicks, a few other small bolt on farkels.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220730-140507.png
    Screenshot_20220730-140507.png
    387.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20220730-162746.png
    Screenshot_20220730-162746.png
    359.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20220731-115423.png
    Screenshot_20220731-115423.png
    381 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20220731-154602.png
    Screenshot_20220731-154602.png
    367.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 17504.jpeg
    17504.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 57

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Race 2 happened over the weekend and me and Austin specifically took it to the 400's a couple times and had ok results. We can catch and pass most mild prepped 400's but the really top sbk bikes we didn't have much hope on. I tested the Moto-Master Halo Floater rotor and HM quickshifter and am thrilled with their results. Completely flawless for both products!.
https://ibb.co/X2rRVk6
https://ibb.co/wWyBfpF
https://ibb.co/P1NNs9t
https://ibb.co/R4T2dTz

Attachments

• ULWSS1-2.png
    ULWSS1-2.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 17
  • LWSS.png
    LWSS.png
    66.9 KB · Views: 17

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Good review!

So @Superpacman13 what's your judgment, are we to see KTM-s coming back to 300 class as a machine of choice solely through the frame changes?
At the club level absolutely but unfortunately KTM's support of this bike for FIM and national series is literally 0 and I don't think that will change.

AMG

Country flag
Race 2 happened over the weekend and me and Austin specifically took it to the 400's a couple times and had ok results. We can catch and pass most mild prepped 400's but the really top sbk bikes we didn't have much hope on. I tested the Moto-Master Halo Floater rotor and HM quickshifter and am thrilled with their results. Completely flawless for both products!.
https://ibb.co/X2rRVk6
https://ibb.co/wWyBfpF
https://ibb.co/P1NNs9t
https://ibb.co/R4T2dTz
What makes the top sbk bikes better mate are there no restrictions there..why can't the KTM be speced up also..

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
What makes the top sbk bikes better mate are there no restrictions there..why can't the KTM be speced up also..
My home race class is not a sbk class. I will be tuning and experimenting over our winter to get these faster, but will continue to race in a restricted class. Things like porting, cams, fuel, etc are all controlled for me currently.

AMG

Country flag
My home race class is not a sbk class. I will be tuning and experimenting over our winter to get these faster, but will continue to race in a restricted class. Things like porting, cams, fuel, etc are all controlled for me currently.
So there is an unlimited class there over here in Australia even ASBK rounds you cannot touch motors..
I'd love to fully work a motor..

bj059

Country flag
Short(ish) 2022 RC 390 review.
TLDR; buy one as it made improvements over the old model beyond my wildest expectations.
Long form:
I raced the 22 RC this weekend at Round 4 of OMRRA in the Ultralightweight super sport classes of which I have spent almost all of my racing career on the old generation RC. This bike is an immense improvement over the old model and I can't exactly place my finger on where the best changes were made. The chassis is the most communicative and confidence inspiring thing I have ever ridden, previously raced an R6, 890 Duke R, RC8, 15 rc 390, 19 RC390R, 1290 SDR, Ninja 250, CB160. The feedback is so impressive that all of my brake markers were shorter by 50-100 ft depending on how aggressive I needed to be. I knew exactly what the tire was doing at all times which allowed me to push beyond what I knew possible. The aero package mixed with the increased corner speeds meant that me and my team mate were able to catch all of the Ninja 400s that raced in the wave before us and beat every single on of them. Sunday air temperatures were around 100-103F and I posted two lap times that were closing in on lap records, ULW SS was .255 seconds off a new record and in the ULW GP I was exactly .1 off a new record.
Of all the parts tested most performed flawlessly, I will be making the following changes as parts availability becomes more widespread.
MTC is a problem and a very aggressive intervention, I turn it off for every race but its annoying. Not sure I am going to change it as I like having the speedo but figured it was worth mentioning.
The factory quickshift is close to perfect but not close enough to work every time for me, which means I will be looking for an aftermarket unit. That being said, my teammate had 0 issues what so ever. This was used only for upshifts as downshifts it is 100% useless.
I am working with Moto Master to get their T drive brake rotors as both me and my team mates are in poor shape after 1 race weekend.
I will be developing an aluminum subframe as that is one of the few areas my rulebook will allow me to develop.
I will develop a front stay that is lighter, the stock one is very good but can be lighter and put the dash in a better spot for real clip ons.
Mod list
RP Exhaust, Sebimoto fairings, Driver Halo Clip ons, Rapidbike racing piggyback module, SBS DC pads, 415 drive kit from Formula 390, WP pro component shock and fork cartridge, DNA air filter, Pirelli Slicks, a few other small bolt on farkels.
Hi Superpacman,
were you running the shifter in race pattern ? or standard shift pattern with the factory quickshifter ?
what were the problems you were having with it ?
How easy was it to setup the HM shifter for up and down shifts ?

regards Bill

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Hi Superpacman,
were you running the shifter in race pattern ? or standard shift pattern with the factory quickshifter ?
what were the problems you were having with it ?
How easy was it to setup the HM shifter for up and down shifts ?

regards Bill
GP shift with the factory QS+ system and it was consistent at all. It would mis shift and take a non consistent amount of force to activate. The downshifts were 100% inoperable.
The HM qs module is upshift only and it is plug and play, no setup needed.

KTMLaos

Country flag
Fantastic Superpacman13,
2Q:
What width rear slick are you riding?
As you have the RBRace module can you install their QS up & down (I think with the YouTune module which also allows for traction control and launch control)?

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Fantastic Superpacman13,
2Q:
What width rear slick are you riding?
As you have the RBRace module can you install their QS up & down (I think with the YouTune module which also allows for traction control and launch control)?
140/70/17 Pirelli.
Any RB unit can get the RB QS but the module they have only works on up shifts for this model.