$700 for first service!?!?!

onethump

So my bike is at about 900km as of now so I decided I would put in a service appointment for the fist service. I got an email back from the dealership with a work order and quote for the service and it totalled about $700. I kind of know a guy at the shop so the actual quote he gave me was about $600 on the work order. I almost spat out my coffee while i was reading it.

So I emailed them back asking if that was a mistake because that sounds pretty high, and that when I bought the bike, the salesman and the guy who I picked up the bike from who showed me around the bike when i picked it up told me that the first service is at only 1000km and that I shouldnt pay more then $300 total.

They had the balls to tell me this "these are new for 2015 and we did not have the service literature for them when they were delivered to anxious customers. When we did get the info, we realized that these KTM’s require a valve adjust at first service". Are you fucking kidding me. They told me when I bought it that a valve check and possible adjustment would have to be done at first service, but they also told me it should not be more then $300. I guess I should have gotten that in writting. Fuck dealerships, fuck. Im so pissed off right now.

At this point i'm thinking that I was already going to do the oil and filter myself. How hard can it be to do the rest, I know it will void the warranty but as far as I'm concerned a 2 year warranty isnt that long anyways, and I dont ride everyday in my climate. Its just so fucking annoying that dealerships can say something and then charge TWICE when it comes time for it. Fuck them, rant over.

Fasteddy

Country flag
Doing your own work won't void your warranty, I spoke with my dealer about it and even compared notes before I re-shimmed valves. Where did you get 2 year warranty? dealer after market?
Spend the $25 on a service manual and be done with it....

guzz46

I don't know where onethump is from, but in NZ we get a 24 month warranty, it states it in the warranty booklet.

onethump

Im in Canada, I thought the warranty was 2 years, but I might be wrong. There's probably a thread on here about whats required for the 1st service, I will probably take that route with the service manual, still the whole situation pisses me off though. How can you be a dealership that sells a bike without knowing what the service costs associated would be. The bike was $6300 after taxes and 1st service is $700! More the a 1/10th of the value of the entire bike. I wonder how much a new engine is?

big_sur

My first service was $170 but they only charged me the book time (1.5h) for labor even though I know it took longer.

CAZHEREDIA

I have 1250 miles on my bike and haven't taken it to the dealer for the service (valve adjusting, oil change) because of the price.

does anyone know what the 1st service after the 600 mile valve adjustment costs? and how many total miles before 1st oil change? thanks

zippy49

Carlos, please change your oil immediately. it should have been done 600 miles ago.

Absolutely! There is a special, low grade break-in oil in there. It's turned into sludge by now. Any decent synthetic 15-50 will do.

I paid $600 for my first service, as the mechanic spent some time studying the manual online and they charged two hours labor to change two shims. Reason? The mechanic insisted on following the teardown procedure in the Service Manual, which calls for removal of the clutch cover and inserting a pin to hold the crankshaft in place. A more reasonable shop would have just locked out the cam chain adjuster, pulled the cam caps, and sneaked the shims in and out with a magnet. Which I intend to do myself, next time.

Treachery

Country flag
I have 1250 miles on my bike and haven't taken it to the dealer for the service (valve adjusting, oil change) because of the price.

does anyone know what the 1st service after the 600 mile valve adjustment costs? and how many total miles before 1st oil change? thanks

You're only, oh, 950 miles over the miles where I'd do the first oil change. Search around on the site and you'll see how scary the conditions are in the oil at the first change, even with very low miles. At this point you may well have voided your warranty, but more to the point, you're putting your engine at risk. I wouldn't ride it any farther than it took to warm it up to change the oil.