ABS Functions?

Ryanthegreat1

Does the ABS on the RC prevent stoppies or nose wheelies? Seems to me like it does.

Doing some back road testing and finding that no matter how hard grab a handful of front brake I can not get the rear tire off the ground. I then turned off the ABS and the first time I go for the front brake I just about go over the bars. The front brake feels like it has a lot more power and control with the ABS turned off.

Is there any documentation that confirms my experience?

Ryanthegreat1

The Bosch website states,

• Modern ABS systems can support the driver in this regard. The generation 9 motorcycle ABS systems from Bosch all feature intelligent rear-wheel lift-up control and have been developed to facilitate braking at full power in all emergency braking situations when traveling in a straight line.

And those hooligan Duke 390 riders all seem to agree that turning off the ABS allows for stoppies.

Fasteddy

Country flag
I only ride on the street and have disabled it a few times, I can definitely tell it helps with rear wheel lock up, I have never purposely done a stoppy / splatty, but, from reading about how the ABS gen 9 system works, front and rear on separate channels it would seem possible to bypass front brakes from ABS and have rear only ABS like on early 90's pickup trucks...

best of both worlds....

guzz46

That's a good question, from memory the first few times I rode with ABS on, when I did an emergency stop from roughly 60-70kmh the front brake lever would pulse shortly after I grabbed the lever, I mentioned this to my brother who at the time had an 1190R Adventure, and he said he's never felt the ABS engage, even when doing an emergency stop, then he said on his 1190R he always disabled ABS on the rear.
So my guess is seeing as the RC doesn't have that option to disable ABS on the rear only, when the back wheel comes off the ground even slightly the ABS engages because the rear wheel is spinning faster than the front.

That's my take on it anyway, but I'm no ABS expert, this is my first bike with ABS.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I've done a stoppie on my RC a few times with the ABS on. I'm not getting the back wheel up to 10 oclock or anything... just a foot or so, but it is possible.