Acceleration Issue

KTMIan

I just bought my 2015 KTM RC390 last month and it has suddenly developed a strange issue. It will run perfectly fine until I reach the 52-55 mph range then all of the acceleration and engine power drops out until it falls back into the 40 mph range and you can then re-accelerate back up to the 52-55 mph range where it will do it again. I got it past that point then it would accelerate fine. The bike has about 260 miles on it so it shouldn't be having this type of problem this soon. So any information or help on what it might be would be greatly appreciated. I love the bike otherwise.

Called the dealership where I bought it to ask the maintenance department there and hopefully they call me back tomorrow.

Thanks,

Ian

zaster

Country flag
Welcome to the forum and yes the dealership is the way to start.
What rpm range are you running at those speeds?

KTMIan

7000-8000 rpm or there about usually in 4th or 5th gear trying to keep the RPM's down while I break it in.

KTMIan

Put it up on the stands and ran it up through gears up to the shift point for going from 5th to 6th gear and rev'd up fine without any issue.

TennisFreak

Clutch slipping possibly?

Mine is new and I have ~300 miles on it. I've taken it to the rev limiter at least a few times.

Its always good to rev out a new engine to get the seals and rings to expand and seat properly.

I'm not saying go around and redline it all the time but you should wring it out a few times.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Clutch slipping possibly?

Mine is new and I have ~300 miles on it. I've taken it to the rev limiter at least a few times.

Its always good to rev out a new engine to get the seals and rings to expand and seat properly.

I'm not saying go around and redline it all the time but you should wring it out a few times.

He's already got too many miles on it to seat the rings in. The first 40 miles is where that's ALL at. Break 'em in HARD.

KTMIan

My brother broke it in good the day after I bought it by riding it out to where I live by putting 176 miles on it that days. This didn't start until a couple of weeks after that. That's why it is so mystifying to me.