Alternator puller and other special tools or will generics work??

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
I'd like to know if the alternator rotor can be pulled using a generic flywheel puller, or if it can only be done with the expensive special KTM tools.

I would also appreciate input on other engine-related special tools that might not be essential.

What size is the castle nut wrench for the nut beneath the alternator rotor? KTM wants about $47 for theirs. Ouch.

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
Bump. I would appreciate some info so I can have the right tools on hand before I begin surgery.

My main concern with the KTM puller is that it seems to be a special-order (from Austria) part, so who knows how long it would take to get it. If I must buy a $47 KTM wrench, I will, but I just know there is a $7 answer out there.

Surely someone here has pulled their flywheel and unscrewed the castle nut that lies beneath?

hvlmike

Country flag
Bump. I would appreciate some info so I can have the right tools on hand before I begin surgery.

My main concern with the KTM puller is that it seems to be a special-order (from Austria) part, so who knows how long it would take to get it. If I must buy a $47 KTM wrench, I will, but I just know there is a $7 answer out there.

Surely someone here has pulled their flywheel and unscrewed the castle nut that lies beneath?

hvlmike

Country flag
I'm looking for a puller as well...just need the thread size and will get one from motion pro...but can't find the info anywhere!

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
Well, I went ahead and ordered one, as well as a castle wrench since I also could not determine which generic would work.

FWIW, I reached out to MotionPro to see if they had a puller for the RC390. No reply. Looking at the various online listings of their pullers, though, I have never found one of any size that has both of the key characteristic: Left-handed inside threads.

Anyway, depending on whether you need it for a single use or as part of a permanent tool collection, maybe we could work out a loaner arrangement on mine, which I expect to receive Monday/Tuesday. I will not be needing to use any earlier than the second week of May, so maybe the timing would work for you. PM me if interested.

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
I received the two tools I ordered. I must say they are heavy duty and beautifully made. As near I can tell, the puller has an inside diameter of 42 mm and a left-hand thread. The castle wrench is about 43 mm. I will need to fashion my own insert to go in the end of the crankshaft for the puller's inner screw to push against.
KTM Puller and castle wrench.JPG

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Make sure to heat the castle nut before removal or that socket will be a one time use kind of tool. It has lots of red loctite.

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
Thanks for that super-valuable tip, Superpacman13! I guess that also means I need a solid-fitting engine locking pin (which I also plan to fab myself from an 8mm screw).

Question: Aside from heating the castle nut, would you or would you not use an impact wrench? I'm thinking that using one may ultimately put less stress on the various components that will be subjected to the turning forces.

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
If you can do without that would be optimal, but sometimes that is not an option. Definitely lock the crank otherwise damage will occur to a lot of components.