Any other Aussies with a new RC 390 ?

Al Pal

G'day all thought I'd grow our clique by one more. Got mine about 3 moths ago. Had a Yamaha R15 before that was saving for something larger as a 2nd bike but Peter Stevens in Melbourne were getting rid of their new stock for a bargain price and I'm old enough to not be lusting after a litre bike. Nice bike, loving it so far. Handles well, enough go to give me a grin and glance in the mirror for Mr Plod. Had a grouse ride through the hills Sunday arvo just gone. A few KTMs around in Melbourne they are selling well but still rare to see another on the road. Bit worried about the cooling though, fan comes on too often when moving and haven't had much warm weather yet. Might have to replace the coolant and get a better fan before summer really kicks in.

wow we didnt even see this Aussie area until tonight.

Add another new RC390 owner and loving it. Have also placed an order for the 2017 390 Duke

We are in Petrie, Brisbane, 10 mins from Mt Mee :)

RC390 owner for about 2 months. Great little bike! Using it as a track day toy.

R6 shock with stock KTM spring. works great for 100kg rider. Now fiddling with the forks, 15mm extra preload, 10w oil. better but not perfect.

Down under, Down under in Tassie

Last edited:

wil55n

Country flag
Hey guys, if you're on Facebook look up "KTM RC Australia" were building up a community there to share with local and likeminded RC owners.

Chuditch

Hi another Perth rider here. I have the 2017 and so far the only issue is a loose instrument cluster, which I can't quite figure out. Got an ohlins rear and fitting bitubo carts in the forks soon. Then it's off to ecuwest to get it tuned for intake and exhaust mods.

Chuditch

Not really planning to race. Barbagello's is still closed to bike track racing, which is a shame because I would be doing the odd track day there if it was open to bikes. I changed out the suspension because I weigh around 114kg, the bike is a completely different animal with good suspension. I am getting it remapped because I want to run a few more hp and and more torque, it's also wise to do so when/if any intake and exhaust mods are done. The flash is more to run it a bit better rather than any hopes of massive gains. It will still bump it up a bit though.

Last edited:

=maz=

Country flag
Barbagallo doesn't really suit the small bikes and there are 12 rounds in Collie(which has a much more technical and interesting track with a major extension opening very soon) this year with the two road racing cubs in the state.
I weigh more than you...suspension makes the world of difference.
Come down for a run with HCMC and nominate for ThunderBikes...much more relaxed, cheaper and more fun.

=maz=

Country flag
HCMC = Historic Competitive Motorcycle Club

The 12 rounds are with both Road Racing clubs...HCMC and MCRC. The only problem you'll have with MCRC is your bike will not be legal if you have the ECU tuned...piggy back fuel management is fine but you must run the OEM ECU.

Chuditch

Ok so if I understand this correctly, for MCRC, I can run a PCV but I can't have the stock ECU flashed? I haven't committed to what I plan to do re the fuelling with the sports intake and exhaust yet,

=maz=

Country flag
Ok so if I understand this correctly, for MCRC, I can run a PCV but I can't have the stock ECU flashed?

Exactly.
Look at the GCR's available through Motorcycling Australia's website for details on what is and isn't allowed for Production Racing...these rules don't apply to run in the ThunderBike class with HCMC as it isn't a production class.

Chuditch

OK thanks mate, I will give it some thought. The PCV is the more budget friendly alternative and has the advantage in that any dyno tuner can fine tune it. Still trying to figure out the advantages of getting the ecu flashed for comparison.

bobtrx

Country flag
Hello another new member country vic.Mate and I half share 2017 RC390 for track day fun. We are not gay just laugh a lot when the wives let us out. I watched the rc390 race at Aus Superbikes Tailem Bend earlier this year and thought what a great bike. I pick it up next week. We asked the dealer to fit a akropovic pipe / decat link with the KTM/Akro map and a quick shifter to complete the fun factor. I will run it in around the back blocks for hopefully a track day at Broadford early October and Tailem Bend for 2 days week later. We know nothing about this bike so any advice I get is good. What's the thinking on run in for this bike. I will do a early oil change. Already see suspension may happen and if we get up to speed brake pads? First order of business is making it fit me , 6ft 100Kg old bastard

Foolishboy

Country flag
Time to resurrect an old thread.
New member, just scored a tidy little 2015 RC to use to finally fulfil a dream to have a crack at racing, always liked the look of the production class so after destroying a 2004 ZX10R at turn 7 at barbagallo thought why not give it a go.

Already had some nice mods, adreani fork inserts, air box mod and I discovered a PCV hidden away as well.

Just need some time on the bike to get used to how light they are but so far pretty impressed.

davoboy

Country flag
Hi Guys' n Gals,
My name is Dave and I just purchased a new RC. At 56 I am the oldest RC owner on the planet.
A important bike for me as I have not owned a road bike for 10 years, my KTM Duke 640 was sold just before my daughter was born 10 long years ago.
First impressions, light nimble and most responsive. Really grumpy cammy engine, lots of torque. A bike that begs you to go harder.
Super fun and an excellent commuter.
Really funny for me as I am a postie, so jumping off the RC and onto a Postie bike is a daily shock.
This is my 22nd road bike and it is good to be back at last.
Have fun and stay safe.