Any other Aussies with a new RC 390 ?

Just trying to start a thread for Aussie RC 390 owners - I purchased mine 1 month ago and live in the sunshine coast -

I know there is one more sold in this area - How is everyone finding their new bike?

Craigo

..I am picking up a new RC390 from Team Moto Virginia today...I live at Narangba, just sold my DRZ400E to a guy at Currimundi yesterday...:cool:

Been fairly active on the ThumperTalk DRZ forum over the last 5 years..looking forward to being a part of this one..

mr-fabricator

Hey . Perth calling :) it seems the rc 390 is few and far between over west , local dealer says theyve sold quite a few but to date ( since december) ive not seen a single other RC ! .

Glad to have found this forum :)

Regards lee

aj@x

New Sunshine Coast RC 390 owner here, One thing i will say about the RC is it loves high revs and absolutely hates low revs, ie you will find yourself feathering the clutch like a bastard on a tight roundabout. I'm slowly getting better at riding this bike in traffic etc, it has some pretty knarly engine braking which i guess is the case due to the high compression big single but i've found if your a bit more delicate on the throttle than usual you can keep things pretty smooth. Other than that it's been a buzz to ride, i plan to hang onto this one for around the three to four year mark then buy something of better quality after my skillset has also improved.

In regards to the bike quality itself, yeah it feels real cheap in places and not everything lines up perfect including my instrument lcd panel which seems to sit about 5mm left off central of the stem bolt with the handlebars pointing straight and true, could be intentional who knows, but again it's not really a problem unless you have a severe case of OCD, lucky mines only mild so i think i can get past it ok ;) Everything else seems great and i find the bike comfortable for a 5'11 37 year old dude.

Last edited:

mr-fabricator

Welcome mate ,

Theyre not perfect but they are fun , dont baby it on run in , oil and filters at 250k / 600k and then first dealer service .

Your brakes will improve with age also

aj@x

Hi Lee, thanks for the welcome :D

I've noticed some people have done early filter and oil changes but i've decided to go with the manual and ride her in without one till the first service. I figure i'd rather leave the run in oil from the factory for the specified time from the folks that designed the engine and also there are two screens and the filter that will hopefully catch the chunks :D In saying that i'm not saying your wrong in any way by doing what your suggesting, just that i don't mind following the manual since it will save me money and i have a warranty if it goes balls up as a fallback.

mr-fabricator

Its your bike buddy and plenty of people have done the run in as per the book . Run in oil is a thing of the past and the oil in the bike is the standard motrex stuff as recommended .

the reason we suggest an early service is because you would not believe whats floating around inside . yes the filter and screen will catch the nasty stuff but IMO id want it out of the engine asap and leave nothing to chance . True warranty should cover you should anything happen but if you spend a hundre bucks or so now you are greatly reducing the possibility of problems in the future , and all engines big and small like fresh oil . my bike is a track bike and gets new filter and oil every 400K excessive possibly but its good insurance

Welcome aj@x I also live on the Sunshine Coast - Purchased the first RC 390 up here in January - Yea a lot of small issues but really minor stuff - Where abouts on the Coast are you ?

aj@x

I'm in Marcoola mate. Since my last post the top hose in my coolant overflow bottle has snapped off and i've investigated the instrument cluster alignment issue mentioned above and it looks to be the entire front fairing is pointing to the left a little which i worked out by riding the bike down a straight road bike tracking dead straight, bars dead straight but fairing and cluster pointing left. I've been into the dealer to let them know about the overflow bottle and the fairing issue about two weeks back, they put a warranty claim in to ktm for the bottle and said they will check the fairing out when they take care of the bottle, i've not heard back from them yet so must be getting close but yeah dealer has been great to deal with so far. The nose cone of the fairing is bolted directly to the bracket that is welded to the head stock of the frame, i'm hoping the silly buggers in india haven't welded it on crooked and in turn messed the front of my bike up. I didn't notice at first because you tend to look where your going and not down at the bike when riding, probably why the workshop boys never noted it when they test road it before hand over also, you do expect these things to not be an issue after factory QC also.

Apart from that i've continued riding the bike and it's been great, heading towards 400kms total now (i know bugger all) but i am getting out on her more, trying to load the k's on to get the first service done. I've noticed already the engine is starting to loosen up a little and get a bit smoother, it took me a bit getting used to rider the thing in crawling traffic. Also worth noting is i've not had any of the fan issues that are frequently mentioned around the place.

Last edited:
Sounds a bit weird the nose cone off centre - I'm in Mountain Creek - Brightwater - you are most welcome to check the welded position of mine to see if there are any differences between them -

I've clocked up 5500 k now - Have done a few minor mods with a Fuel exhaust - R&G tail tidy - and have some Tyga rear sets on the way - anyways let me know if you want to compare my frame to yours? Cheer Rod

aj@x

Bike has been into the dealer for first service about two weeks ago, got about 1300km on her now. Overflow bottle was replaced and they looked at the nose cone, basically loosened everything off and tried to straighten it up but it didn't work really. I ended up disassembling the front fairing myself to get to the bottom of the issue and the fairing bracket has infact been welded on wonky and there is no adjustment.

I took photo of said bracket and sent to the dealer about four days ago and they said they would be in contact once they hear back from KTM once again on how they want to proceed with the issue. I hope it gets sorted properly and i'm sure it will but i'm not losing sleep over it...worst case scenario is i have to strip the front down again and take to the bike down to Dave Kellet frame repair and get him to grind the welds off and reweld the bracket straight, i am hoping it doesn't come to that though. It hasn't stopped me from riding and enjoying the bike though :D

Mods wise i've ordered a R&G tail tidy, Some mirror wedges and a G2 quick throttle tube direct from G2 because they are throwing in the H200 cam i want for free. Probably will add an exhaust in a few months, it's a little too quiet for my liking and i like to be heard in traffic a little better.

Hows your Fuel exhaust for sound? does the sounds match the look of the bike or does it still sound like a postie bike on steroids? ;)

Last edited:
Hows your Fuel exhaust for sound? does the sounds match the look of the bike or does it still sound like a postie bike on steroids? ;)

The sound of the fuel pipe is great - a little load at times but when you open it up has a really awesome race like sound . I could not go back to the standard pipe.

I have a Jri Double adjustable shock on its way must be close now plus the Bazzaz Ecu - some mirror wedges and the quick throttle tube -
One of the first mods I did was the KTM power parts levers - Clutch & Brake massive difference to feel plus they are great quality. Also have some Tyga rear sets on the bike. and the R&G tail tidy - not much left on the wish list now.

I do feel you pain regarding riding the bike slow in traffic but small price to pay for having a high revving small displacement bike.

aj@x

Hmmm going by your description i'll probably go for one of the "Fuel" pipes then, i like the look of them too and the quality looking at the pictures looks decent. First thing i put on the bike was adjustable levers and your right it makes the clutch and brake feel waaaaay better. I'm not going to worry about tuning or anything like that i don't want to pour that type of money into the bike but i can understand people that do, it would be awesome! I will probably change the air filter over to a DNA one once the stock one is filthy and needs replacing. My mirror wedges turned up today and the machining quality is as perfect and perfect gets, they couldn't have been made any better.

I won't be fitting the wedges till i get my front end sorted out through, so could be a little while but at least i have them sitting and ready to go.

I imagine you got your bike from Pro Motorcycles ? Are they looking after you with the front end issue? You will really enjoy the sound ? tone note of the Fuel pipe - When I ordered mine it took less than a week to arrive on my doorstep very impressive.

Yea My mirror wedges should turn up any day now - The Jri shock turned up today - another piece of top class machining

=maz=

Country flag
Hey . Perth calling :) it seems the rc 390 is few and far between over west , local dealer says theyve sold quite a few but to date ( since december) ive not seen a single other RC ! .

Glad to have found this forum :)

Regards lee

They are multiplying at a quick rate tho Lee.
I have 1 in my garage and another on the way for the Production Race Series at MCRCWA in the 2016 season and beyond...I know of at least one other. :)

Perth here. :)

EnCee

Hey guys had mine for a couple of months here in Adelaide haven't seen another on road here yet. Love the bike even with its minor issues cornering is fantastic in the hills rides we do

TomHertz

Thought I'd say g'day...

Doesn't seem to be many from the east side on here so I'll represent for Sydney ;)

Purchased my first KTM 2 months ago after about 5 mins research through a dealership clearance. It was on the shortlist for consideration along with an R3, but the price was right so I jumped on. The more I read the more it seems it was a good decision! I haven't seen another one on the road which is also a plus... plenty of dukes but no RC's. It's been sittin in the garage for that time, but been neatened up a bit, much as per the advice I've read on this forum - so thanks all!!

Only have about 3 years riding exp but I get my licence back after 4 long years on Sunday, which is as good as starting again. Owned a Honda and a couple of Ninjas in the past, but thought we'd try something different this time round. Heaps keen to get this thing out on the road... BRING ON SUNDAY!