Anybody have SAMCO hoses with thermo bypass installed?

I'm looking at this option but the picture of the hoses looks like it doesn't have enough hoses to replace all of the existing kit on the bike. Does anyone have a thermo delete kit installed and can shed some light? MNNTHBX shows you need more than one 2 hoses - though I suspect their pictures show the kit that does not bypass the thermo. Can anyone shed some light on this?

green_bread

Country flag
Im willing to bet the kit with 2 hoses is the correct thermostat delete kit. It looks like the pic on MNNTHBX's site is the same as the OEM kit listed on the racebikebitzusa site.

Most kits I see have 2 for thermo bypass but when I look at a parts diagram it seems it may need 3. I have to get to my RC and take a deeper look but it's at my girlfriend's place right now :(

isaac_

Most kits I see have 2 for thermo bypass but when I look at a parts diagram it seems it may need 3. I have to get to my RC and take a deeper look but it's at my girlfriend's place right now :(

I don’t know if I’ll ever be ready for that kind of commitment/trust level.

Her ZX6R (race) and ZX10RR (street) definitely take priority over mine in there... I get one little corner for my pile haha

I have the Samco hoses with the thermostat delete. It has all the hoses you need to make it work. On the right side of the bike, one hose goes from the radiator down to the motor. The hose that goes across the radiator gets removed and plugged by this little stubby hose end. The entire hose system with the thermostat gets removed and the replacement hose goes from the top of the left side of the radiator to the motor. I can take pictures if this rambling make no sense.

I have the Samco hoses with the thermostat delete. It has all the hoses you need to make it work. On the right side of the bike, one hose goes from the radiator down to the motor. The hose that goes across the radiator gets removed and plugged by this little stubby hose end. The entire hose system with the thermostat gets removed and the replacement hose goes from the top of the left side of the radiator to the motor. I can take pictures if this rambling make no sense.

That sounds about in line with what I expected it to look like. So there are really only 2 silicone hoses and one stubby block off cap?

green_bread

Country flag

Thank you for confirming!

What kind of weight savings do you think this offers? What are the pros/cons to eliminating the thermostat? Im guessing the coolant temp sensor is also removed when the thermostat is removed? I know You can replace the bolt in the bleeder hole on top of the radiator and install a standalone sensor if you want - just trying to get all the info about why people are doing this mod.

Thanks!

Weight savings is absolutely negligible - if you're aiming for that take a bigger poop in the morning :)

Eliminating the thermostat makes warm up take longer. Usually it is closed and restricting flow when the bike is at a lower temperature which keeps the warm coolant from circulating and cooling off. Removing the thermostat opens the flow so a cold bike takes longer to warm. Theoretically, this also opens a more even flow which allows for somewhat better cooling when the bike is getting hot. The thicker silicone walls also absorb heat better which then dissipates so should help with cooling, too. Realistically cooling gains probably aren't very significant but I'm hoping for a little bit of help and some pretty bling for my bike :).

TrailorBoy, yes, there are two large hoses and one little stubby thing as well as two long skinny hoses to replace the overflow hoses and one short skinny hose to replace one from the overflow to the top of the radiator. The little skinny guys could be overlooked, but I bought 'em, so by God, I'm using 'em.

Green_bread, I wouldn't say the weight savings were enormous, but dropping the thermostat was a good chunk for sure. It also helps clean up a bit of clutter on the left side of the motor. I'm not familiar enough with the coolant temp sensor to know if it got the ax. My opinion is that the Samco hoses are so much better quality than the stock ones, I couldn't go wrong. With my limited knowledge on these bikes, I was more apt to plan for prevention of heat related problems. Since we race a lot in hot weather, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Removing the thermostat was just one less part to fail and lead to overheating issues. I've run three track days in San Marcos with the hoses installed. It took maybe 3 minutes longer for the bike to get warm, but cooled much faster once the day got hot. Ran it one day with the high near 90 and had zero overheating problems. I also have the upgraded fan, but I only heard it kick on once after a session.

Edit: I should also mention that I have the 1.8 bar radiator cap, run water wetter, and I yanked all the rubber shielding from the top of the engine. All of this was done in conjunction with the hoses.

Last edited:
My bike overheated (limp mode) 3 times in one track day last month. High was 89. So i'm on a mission to cool my bike off before I run in to further problems. Thanks for all of your help Thunderrun, it was very instructional. I'll be tearing the bike down over the summer and installing these hoses + the Spal fan. You'd know if your temp sensor was removed or not by if your bike still had a reading in the bottom left of your gauges. I imagine it does and the sensor is not in the thermostat.

Muckabucka

Country flag
I've got the kit on my bike. Everything is there. I ordered the clamps too I think. As mentioned elsewhere, you do need to let the bike warm up a little longer before you let er rip, and I have had to block the radiator with a strip of duct tape on colder days to ensure it stayed at temp. No issues in normal or hot conditions though. I wish I could find a black set though. It's one of the only orange things left on my bike.

I'm looking at this option but the picture of the hoses looks like it doesn't have enough hoses to replace all of the existing kit on the bike. Does anyone have a thermo delete kit installed and can shed some light? MNNTHBX shows you need more than one 2 hoses - though I suspect their pictures show the kit that does not bypass the thermo. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I've got the kit on my bike. Everything is there. I ordered the clamps too I think. As mentioned elsewhere, you do need to let the bike warm up a little longer before you let er rip, and I have had to block the radiator with a strip of duct tape on colder days to ensure it stayed at temp. No issues in normal or hot conditions though. I wish I could find a black set though. It's one of the only orange things left on my bike.

But... it's a KTM!

In a race application, what is the best solution to the bike running hot? Hose kit (with no thermostat) and no fan blocking the rad? Hose kit (
with no thermostat)
and better fan? Hose kit and ??? thanks