Backup camera

Chris

Anybody ever install a backup camera on their bike? I have been looking into a wireless camera of some sort so I can finally see behind me.

Chris

Yeah, maybe above the cluster and between the cluster and windscreen.

Not sure, was just throwing the idea around.

green_bread

Country flag
Why? I don't understand! Wouldn't it be easier to get a helmet with a built in camera?

All I can tell you is why it works for me on the Grom... I dont think I would use it on a race bike or bigger street bike.

On the Grom, you have to pretty much lay down on the seat/tank to get any kind of effect from a "tuck". This actually gets me about 3 mph of top speed, but its impossible to move my head to look up, let alone try and see anything in the stock mirrors from the tucked position. Having the camera and the screen mounted on the handlebars, right in front of my face, gives me a convenient way to see when one of my other Grom buddies is drafting me for a pass, or if Im going so slow Im holding up traffic. Then I know which way I need to go to get out of the way and let them by without having to sit up and lose any speed.

It was $40 for the whole setup so I figured Id give it a try. Luckily, its worked out really well, so far.

reenmachine

Country flag
A couple buddies and I were actually talking about this yesterday. With the race bubble windscreen there'd probably be enough room for a small screen.

Have a photo of the system on your Grom?

reenmachine

Country flag
I seriously hope this an April fools joke but just a few months late. Seriously.

What do you care? Somebody recently posted a comment over in another thread about how whenever someone throws an unconventional idea out there some people jump on them about wanting to do something weird. If you want to contribute or encourage someone to have some fun, please do so, but there's no need to ridicule something you think isn't credible or worthwhile.

MrGrody

What do you care? Somebody recently posted a comment over in another thread about how whenever someone throws an unconventional idea out there some people jump on them about wanting to do something weird. If you want to contribute or encourage someone to have some fun, please do so, but there's no need to ridicule something you think isn't credible or worthwhile.
Uh...... I'm kinda waiting for this to be a April fools aswell.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

RC390 Fan

Uh...... I'm kinda waiting for this to be a April fools aswell.

Why, cant get your head around it? I wouldnt be suprised if it becomes standard equipment on some bikes in the future. I mean you cant really see much in the rear views anyway because of the vibration.

MrGrody

Why, cant get your head around it? I wouldnt be suprised if it becomes standard equipment on some bikes in the future. I mean you cant really see much in the rear views anyway because of the vibration.
I can see the infomercial now... "Hi. Billy mays here. Are you tired of using your motorcyle mirrors? Can't seem to turn ur neck to check for traffic? WELL WE HAVE THE SOLUTION FOR YOU!, introducing the ZoomZoomCam. With ZoomZoomCam you can say bye to those hard days using mirrors and shoulder checking..."

green_bread

Country flag
Riding to work this morning, I took a good look at the location you guys are talking about mounting a screen on the RC and I dont think there is enough room there to mount something that would be useful. At least, the screen that I use would be way too big.

Here are the pics of the system I use on my Grom:

20150714_081048_zpsumirhhiv.jpg

20150714_081031_zpsdqqe0d8p.jpg

20150714_080753_zpsvgs31yzm.jpg

20150714_080736_zps5l6qvxk0.jpg

psych0hans

Country flag
It's been done on the Ninjette forum as well. Good idea, bit be sure to get a good screen or you won't see s**t in daylight.

psych0hans

Country flag
How is the visibility in sunlight buddy?

Riding to work this morning, I took a good look at the location you guys are talking about mounting a screen on the RC and I dont think there is enough room there to mount something that would be useful. At least, the screen that I use would be way too big.

Here are the pics of the system I use on my Grom:

20150714_081048_zpsumirhhiv.jpg

20150714_081031_zpsdqqe0d8p.jpg

20150714_080753_zpsvgs31yzm.jpg

20150714_080736_zps5l6qvxk0.jpg

green_bread

Country flag
How is the visibility in sunlight buddy?

Its honestly not that bad. I do have a tinted visor on my helmet which makes it a little tougher to see in direct sunlight; but thats because of the visor, not the screen. I can either switch back to my clear visor or simply lift the tinted visor and I can see it fine in direct sunlight.

would not recommend. this is an unfortunate conversation.

Unfortunate? Why? Its people discussing an idea. How does it affect you? Why wouldn't you recommend it? Do you have something to add to the conversation or do you just want to stick your nose up in the air?