Base AFR map for intake/injector combo '17 RC390

Tom

!!!! UPDATE 4/13/2019 !!!! After switching to the Rottweiler charcoal canister delete, I have noticed rich spots across the map. It appears as though I may have had a faulty evap system from the factory. The map below is still use able and safe. That being said, I will be working to upload a new fuel map, now that I have eliminated my faulty evap system. After riding about 100 miles today with an unchanged map from the one below, I have noticed AFR values that are roughly -0.2 to -0.3 compared to what the target AFRs are, meaning if you do not have the same evap issue I did, you will be running a little more rich than I was before the evap delete.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Latest base map:
Road tune fuel map (several days) on Blood Mountain, Georgia (Fueling from 1000 ft above sea level to 4,458 ft above sea level)
Map now starts at 250 RPM (adjust these values to make the bike start better)
More refined to the auto-tune tables posted below (yes it's still rich)
Map cells to 14,000 (thank you DynoJet) <------ You will only redline to your specified rev-extend, if you dont have rev-extend the map will only use the factory redline regardless of the extra cell values
Much smoother acceleration from a stop due to overly rich cell values being corrected

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=63046565068441084354

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Hello all,
I know a lot of you are running PCV and likely running the WBC2 with it. Hopefully the info in here will give you a good start for running the large injector on an open Gray Area KTM air box. Keep in mind, the target values I've set are meant for running on the rich side to ensure reliability until they are modified by an experienced tuner on a dyno.

Lets start with my auto tun tables. Keep in mind, I have a full exhaust with the Hard Racing closed loop tuning capable WBC2.

eq1r8z.jpg

r0citg.png

Dyno jet recommends to not set target AFRs at the 2nd and 3rd columns, but the WBC2 does a really good job on our bikes in these throttle position columns. I'm guessing their suggestion didn't take into consideration a single cylinder with the exhaust valve to intake valve diameter ratio, like we have on our bikes. Standing behind our bikes at idle on a full exhaust feels like getting pulsed with a leaf blower.

It's important to reduce the auto-tune's adjustment range as you get closer to your targeted AFRs. Leaving it at the factory 10% can mess up the cell values as you transition from on throttle to off throttle. Here's what works well for me (eventually I will get down to values of 2 for both fields):

dr6yhv.png

And finally the base map. If you would like a copy you can send me a PM, but I'll post it here as well for collaboration purposes. These values are pretty much spot on for the targeted AFRs I've set for my 1,000 ft elevation. The most important part you will need to work on are the idle cells that I have highlighted. The current values will keep me at roughly 13.4-13.7 % AFR. Keep in mind, the bike will want to hunt at idle if you go leaner, so you will want to spend a lot of time testing if you decide not to keep my values.

121fp75.jpg

sr8.png

Attachments

• 9500rpm.jpg
    9500rpm.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 104
  • redline.jpg
    redline.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 84
  • settings.jpg
    settings.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 86
  • idle.jpg
    idle.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 99
  • redline_fuel.jpg
    redline_fuel.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

Tom

Alright, I think I fixed the images.

Again, the fuel map will not get you net you maximum gains. That being said, I've been more than happy with the way the bike runs for over 1000 miles so far. I'll eventually get a dyno tune, but for the time being, the bike runs great.

Last edited:

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Thanks for doing this Tom! I gave up on PCV when I realized how many modules I would have to hook up to get a quickshifting, fully operational fuel controller. It looks good and I bow my head to your effort put in.

*opinion* That being said I have found that adding timing to a track only bike is a quick way to make a dead RC. I have tried time and time again to get that extra little bit from adding timing but it always ends with me sitting on the side of the track watching my competitors go by. That being said my race bikes are confined by supersport rules which puts me at a number of key disadvantages. I cannot run; a bigger injector, or race fuel. This puts our injectors at 100% duty cycle but still maintains a safe AFR of 13:1 and being confined to pump gas leaves us open to detonation issues prone from pump gas. So all in all the injector and race gas will make a more sturdy race bike, but I have horrible PTSD and refuse to add timing any longer.

CDN Duke

Country flag
hey Tom,

I finally had chance to hook up a PC to my bike and pull down my map... It's clear that the Akra flash for the 2015/2016 model year ECUs makes a big difference. My fueling is significantly different from both yours and Paxton's map that I started with. I pulled back on quite a bit of fuel, even down low. I'll shoot you an email with more detail.

I'll plan to create a separate thread for Akra-flashed ECU, pre ride-by-wire 2015/2016 bikes. mdabyo enquired about the map I ended up with after the dyno tuning session and offered to chip in to help offset the costs of that endeavor. If I can crowd fund it, I will plan to go back and try and tune out the dip lower down as well. I couldn't afford more shop/dyno hours at the time. We certainly achieved what we wanted on the top end though :cool:

Tom

I think the biggest draw back to the PCV is with the "rev extend". Basically what it does is replicate the last cells in the factory 10500 RPM, until you hit the RPM you requested. My bike actually redlines at 11,250. I find this concept very lazy on dynojet's efforts, and makes for an unsafe tune. I really wish there was a way to add cells to the base map.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This post no longer applies, Dynojet will provide you with a fuel table that starts at 250RPM all the way out to any RPM you desire.

Last edited:

Tom

Got an email back from DynoJet. Turns out all you have to do is ask for modifications to the base cells. They sent me a map that goes up to 14,000 RPM. My rev extend was only configured for 11,250 but they say my redline will stay at that RPM regardless of the extra rows. I guess the problem now is to fight the temptation of requesting a 14K RPM rev extend to make use of all these empty cells. =P

I'm sure Ferrea wouldn't mind building me another custom valve train. Just not sure how the bottom end would hold up. I like the idea of having Carrillio make a piston and rod combo, that would move some of the weight from the piston to the rod. I believe this would make a stronger assembly without upsetting the balance shaft. The crankshaft is what Im unsure of. I'm not sure what RPM they are balanced up to, and whether or not it would fail on non-combustion down strokes at those RPMs.

Another hurdle would be to find a set of cams that will allow the engine to maintain power.

Tom

Latest base map:
More refined to the auto-tune tables posted above
Map cells to 14,000 (thank you DynoJet) <------ You will only redline to your specified rev-extend, if you dont have rev-extend the map will only use the factory redline regardless of the extra cell values
Much smoother acceleration from a stop due to overly rich cell values being corrected

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=63046565068441084354

Tom

Hello All,
It's been another couple of weeks since the thread was opened, and another 800 miles (+ or - a few) on the bike. I've been pretty determined to ride no matter what; 35 miles to or from work, week day runs to north Georgia (Police free for now, outside of Saturday & Sunday, on your favorite mountain passes), and regardless of the heavy rain that I've been practicing my commuting skills in.

The latest map has lots of refinements to how the bike behaves in a much wider range of temps, but more importantly elevations. I've been watching a few youtube videos on how to get over my "fair weather only" riding complex (thanks YammiNoob and FortNine) if you haven't watched their rain riding videos, I highly recommend it. At any rate, the latest fuel maps have been tested in thunderstorms (hail F*cking sucks), extreme elevation changes (Blood Mountain = personal racetrack?), and long haul temps in stop and go traffic.

The bike still runs like a champ, and again, I'm running Chad's (KTMperformance.com) timing maps. The enclosed update map at the top of the thread has no timing advance. Do not attempt to advance timing on your own, you will likely destroy your motor. The attached PCV5 map contains my fueling road tunes only, and are perfectly safe. I am still running the same mods:
2017 RC390
Gray Area KTM intake & injector
Air-box lid removed
Tyga header
Yoshimura 2016 dual carbon exhaust for '16 bikes

Last edited:

ia02

Country flag
Tom,

I will be getting my bike set up in the next few weeks. i greatly appreciate you sharing your auto-tuned map. I'm wondering if you can shed some light on the cells under 80% throttle. In the hard racing thread it seems that everyone has left the 0-60% cells blank, only filling in the 80% and 100% cells. Your results and the Hard Racing directions seem to be at odds. Would love to hear you perspective on this.

(feel free to tell me I;'m an idiot if I've misunderstood the whole setup)

Tom

I dont recall HardRacing saying that, but DynoJet definitely said something along those lines. Something about exhaust gas reversion. I dont think that's an issue on a single cylinder with a free flowing exhaust, but I could be wrong. So far my AFR gauge has been really steady with the readings. The AFRs will occasionally hunt with the RPMs at idle, but that's just a need for more time adjusting those cells.

ia02

Country flag
My impression was that the lower value cells were to be left blank because the stock ECU would fight any value placed in the closed loop section of the map. Are the values in your table just autotune values that have been committed to the PCV map?

Side question, have you used the POD to adjust the target AFR In the WB2 or are you using it exactly as it shipped from hard racing?

I dont recall HardRacing saying that, but DynoJet definitely said something along those lines. Something about exhaust gas reversion. I dont think that's an issue on a single cylinder with a free flowing exhaust, but I could be wrong. So far my AFR gauge has been really steady with the readings. The AFRs will occasionally hunt with the RPMs at idle, but that's just a need for more time adjusting those cells.

ia02

Country flag
Tom,

Have you tried running the PCV/WB2 with no target AFR values in the closed loop section?

I’m trying to figure out if the stock ECU will adjust enough to get to the pre-programmed AFR that hard racing puts into the WB2. Or is the injector just so big that the stock ECU can’t trim that much and the PCV trims are needed as well?

Tom

The bike practically wont run without trimming fuel on the larger injector that came with my intake. As you can see, I had to trim almost 30% of the fuel around idle to get to ~13.8.

Vitboy

Country flag
Hi all,

I recently installed the WBC2 and it's working flawlesly. Trims are created evrywhere even in the 2% TPS column and i can feel the difference in closed and open loop area.

Thanks Tom for your AFR base map.

I ordered the larger injector as i also found a lid for the airbox :cool:

So Ia02, i would like to have some update from you :). At witch values did you ended with for idle ? Did you use the Tom's fuel map as a base or was it too lean ?

If it's the case we can start to point out the impact of fuel, altitude etc.

ia02

Country flag
So Ia02, i would like to have some update from you :). At witch values did you ended with for idle ? Did you use the Tom's fuel map as a base or was it too lean ?

If it's the case we can start to point out the impact of fuel, altitude etc.

The 0% idle cell trim values in Tom’s base map had the bike at like 18:1. It was also the cause of my check engine light. I completely cleared the 0% column and the bike is idling at ~13.5:1, which works for me. And the check engine light has stayed off. I may try swapping back to the bazazz O2 eliminator and see how hat works with the corrected idle values, but for now I am running the stock O2 sensor safety wired to the horn bracket.

Other than that I’ve been just letting auto tune do its thing. I haven’t reduced the max correction setting yet, but I also haven’t ridden many miles. I have a track day this weekend and will bring a laptop and play around between sessions.

All that being said the bike will be dyno’d soon to see what we can squeeze out of the whole setup.

Solidwire

Country flag
I see you have target AFR’s in other areas besides the 80–100% throttle. I thought the PCV & WBC2 couldn’t control those areas. I just installed the same setup and got a map from a vendor and it only had target AFR’s in the 80-100 area.