Battery cover doesn't fit?

xpk

Hi everyone,

Just got my new 2017 bike delivered.
After I removed the battery cover to connect the battery, I found out that I can't install it back properly. It feels like the cover is smaller than needed / misshapen as it only gets installed properly from one side, and the other one leaves a huge gap due to the plugs not really getting into their seats (pictures attached). I did go all the way with it till I heard the "click". And the bottom rails were also inserted...
I purchased the bike from a remote dealer (there isn't one around my city) and they're just saying now that it worked fine for them.
Anyone had a similar issue, and how to fix this?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20171005_175516.jpg
    IMG_20171005_175516.jpg
    766.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20171005_175509.jpg
    IMG_20171005_175509.jpg
    927.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20171005_175435.jpg
    IMG_20171005_175435.jpg
    820.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20171005_175617.jpg
    IMG_20171005_175617.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 70

m3hl

Country flag
Mine looks the same.... Not exactly a precision fit (like many things on this bike).

xpk

Thanks for the feedback. And please bear with me, this is my first bike, but isn't the relatively huge gap around the battery section an issue in rain or when washing the bike?

isaac_

Thanks for the feedback. And please bear with me, this is my first bike, but isn't the relatively huge gap around the battery section an issue in rain or when washing the bike?

You’ll be fine. Just make sure you hear the “click”

KBear

Country flag
Speaking of the battery cover. My cover doesn't fit that well either but I just attributed that to a poor design. Again, speaking of a poor fitting battery cover - today I went for a pretty long ride and around half way through the ride the battery cover popped loose (I've never had this happen before). No matter how hard I tried to get it to lock back in I could not seem to get it to latch. I moved the latch back and forth but no way was the cover going to latch in place. So I kept a close eye on it on the way home hoping all the way that it wouldn't blow off and over my head.

So I got home took the cover off and sprayed the latch with WD40 making sure I didn't get a bunch of it down below the latch and all over the battery top by putting a paper towel under the latch letting it soak in for a bit and moving the latch back and forth. The latch works great now and I can latch and unlatch it real easily. So I guess what I'm saying is you should keep an eye on the battery cover latch mechanism and make sure you put some sort of lubricant on it as you feel necessary. I will keep a better eye on it from now on but I haven't figured out what sort of lubricant I should use since most grease lubricants tend to gum up items that are as delicate as this latch.

If anyone has used a lubricant that works real well on this particular battery cover latch be sure to post your results. Thank you.

KBear

Country flag
Okay guys,

I do realize this is an old thread and I'm sure there are a lot of individuals not liking this thread anymore but here goes anyway.

I was told a long time ago I should spray some WD40 into my gas tank lock every so often to keep it lubricated but have never done it yet. This was for another bike I have. I didn't really want to use WD40 on this lock mechanism since WD40 is a solvent as well as a lub. So I stopped by a locksmiths' office to discuss what sort of lub. I should use in this lock and his suggestion was to use Tri Flow Superior Lubricant. I tried it on all the key locks on my motorcycles and it works great. I also gave it a try on both the seat latch and the battery cover latch on my RC. So far so good. It really made a difference in how much smoother the latches work which is a big plus.

While working the battery cover latch back and forth working in the Tri Flow lub. the spring came off of the latch falling down into the battery tray. Pulled the battery out and found two springs in there. Must have lost one while at the dealer? So I put the old spring back on but realized that the spring ends are not that well anymore. Has anyone had to replace their springs and if so where did you find one? I'm sure one could be found at a hardware store right?

Last edited:

KBear

Country flag
I just clipped my OEM spring and rebent the ends to form hooks

Yeah, I saw that hack on YouTube as well. As I mentioned I use the TriFlow lubricant on the latch itself and it's working great. So glad I did too. I've used the TriFlow on a lot of other latches and key holes on my RC and my other bike. It's sure made a vast improvement.