Can the stock ECU be re flashed with the Bazzaz EFi installed? Reason I ask is after 3 days or so of the Bazzaz being installed the poor idle returned and the bike is running very poor during warm up again - My KTM dealer thinks the problem will be solved be re- flashing the stock ECU !! I personally think it will be a waste of time what are your guys thoughts?

I was hoping the Bazzaz EFi would have solved the poor low rev idle running but it appears not - although in saying that the bike runs super clean in the higher revs now - very frustrating as the bike still stalls when it feels like it during warm up - and under take off.

Other forum members seem to think it is the lack of AF ratio control in the lower revs being a stepper motor with no control over the low revs and the stock ECU fighting the Bazzaz EFi which cannot control the O2 sensor accurately? your thoughts Cheers

The Bazzaz map is set off of the stock ECU settings not the Akro map. I would reflash the ECU unless you have someone that can dyno the bike or if you purchase the Z-AFM like in my case, it will build off of the current settings. As far as reflashing the ECU with the Bazzaz installed I'm not sure. I would just disconnect the Bazzaz unit and have them reflash.

MNNTHBX

Supporting Vendor
Country flag
Agreed. If you ref lash, disconnect the bazzaz prior just to be safe. We've installed a LOT of these units, and have never had any unusual stalling, so I'd guess it's a factor of the Akro bit. As snuggle mentioned, the AFM is the be all / end all, building the perfect map in minutes, whether it's on top of an Akro setting or not. In that case, there's no need to concern yourself with reflashing.

Unfortunately the bike had a idle / stall issue from brand new as other owners have also experienced- I did install the Bazzaz EFI which did make a big difference to the mid range and top end performance but the idle / stall issue became worse with the Bazzaz EFI installed - to a point it was too dangerous to ride. I had never had the akro map installed it was still all running on the std ECU settings with the Bazzaz.
After reading other forum members posts on the idle / stall issue they purchased a Power commander 5 and instantly had a smooth idle - no stall problems solved - So to update I ripped out my Bazzaz EFI - purchased a PCV installed and BINGO problem solved - IMO the Bazzaz has a O2 eliminator that does not work but the Power Commander 5 uses a O2 stabilizer and works a treat - I may get hammered for posting this but the whole idea of a forum is to pass on ways to solve bike issues and what works and what does not - So to all the guys having the idle / stalling issue fit a PCV and go and enjoy your RC :)

psych0hans

Country flag
Unfortunately the bike had a idle / stall issue from brand new as other owners have also experienced- I did install the Bazzaz EFI which did make a big difference to the mid range and top end performance but the idle / stall issue became worse with the Bazzaz EFI installed - to a point it was too dangerous to ride. I had never had the akro map installed it was still all running on the std ECU settings with the Bazzaz.
After reading other forum members posts on the idle / stall issue they purchased a Power commander 5 and instantly had a smooth idle - no stall problems solved - So to update I ripped out my Bazzaz EFI - purchased a PCV installed and BINGO problem solved - IMO the Bazzaz has a O2 eliminator that does not work but the Power Commander 5 uses a O2 stabilizer and works a treat - I may get hammered for posting this but the whole idea of a forum is to pass on ways to solve bike issues and what works and what does not - So to all the guys having the idle / stalling issue fit a PCV and go and enjoy your RC :)

Thanks for the update, my bike has the same issue and I installed a power Tronics in mine. But like you said, it hasn't solved the problem.

MNNTHBX

Supporting Vendor
Country flag
No hammering. Obviously you've found what works on your bike, and that's a good thing. I'm surprised you had any remaining issue however, as there's been posted feedback many times on here in regard to the Bazzaz totally curing low speed issues. I see such varied reports on all the tuners, that I'm still of the belief the secret to which ever tuner a person chooses, is to take the time and learn all of the adjustment and tuning options. They're all so capable and tunable, that the initial instal is just the tip of the potential. While I believe several will work well, we still choose to carry only the Bazzaz, as it's the one we actually prefer to use on our own bikes. It's (in our opinion) the premier unit, and we've had nothing but repeatable great results.

Last edited:
All good and I agree that there is such varied results with one persons bike to another as there are many small glitches in the RC electronics - I did find the mid range smoother with the Bazzaz but at the end of the day each owner should just find what works for them and by all means post results that's how we all learn - Cheers

Glad your bike is running at low revs now, the reason I recommended the Z-AFM was it replaces the stock O2 sensor which could have helped you out with your problems and since you already had the Z-Fi. I am not a dealer with Bazzaz but from all experiences they have been great and have amazing costumer service. Bummer you had to get another unit but I'm sure your stoked to ride again.

Cheers

Totally stoked to be riding again and thanks for your input, - at the end of the day I'm sure all the products do very similar things but sometimes lack of knowledge - in this case on my behalf not knowing how to get the
fix I was looking for was half the problem -

MNNTHBX

Supporting Vendor
Country flag
Just got this note from a Bazzaz / Mivv customer....

[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Hey Kevin and Greg.[/FONT]

[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Got it all done and yes it took a bit of time mainly because that little cooker is tight.[/FONT]

[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Once we got everything plugged in and tided it all up and put it all together all I can say is WOw. A totally different bike. [/FONT]

[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]All the annoying things about it are gone. It runs perfectly without lag or flat spots or surging. It's everything you said it would be. I can't thank you both enough for the "package" and the great service. Feel free to post this anywhere. [/FONT]

[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Best [/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Steve[/FONT]

KTMGene390

I just wanted to add my two cents and experience with the Bazzaz fuel controller. So the deal is Bazzaz installed the units (accept the Z-AFM which I installed later) on my bike while using it to develop the product.

All I can say is I simply did not experience the problems that people are talking about as far as it actually being related to the Bazzaz unit. So the trouble I did experience which may give some insights to narrow down the problems: so my bike would cut out when leaving stop lights - spark plug cap was loose. After fixing that my bike would still cut out when launching the bike hard - I have the Bazzaz with TC and the traction control settings was the cause. Turning it off completely (no values in any of the boxes, including cut level values) fixed the problem which I only noticed when launching hard. Actually, looking at the dyno chart done awhile ago for my bike I can actually see the power being cut around 5500 rpms because TC was not disabled before the dyno run. One other issue was with the Z-AFM o2 sensor burning out too quickly which Bazzaz sent me another under warranty. New sensor still works but they don't last forever...

Perhaps my bike benefited greatly from a professional install of their products and was custom mapped by them too. I personally like the Power Commander too and think each has it pros & cons.

DukeMaster

Hello MNNTHBX, I was wondering do you have a map for bazzaz zfi made with afm for a bike with full system exhaust (no cat), everything else is stock. I can pay for it, its not a problem because I know it took you time to make one. It doesnt need to be the best, I just need it to ensure that my bike is running correctly until I get the Z-AFM module myself.

Kind regards

DukeMaster

On a stock intake, the base map should be nearly perfect, and certainly safe.

Ok...thanks for that. I have sent you a PM a while back but I never received the answer from you. It was about Z-AFM and shipping to Croatia. If you do ship can you tell me what will the shipping cost be since I plan to buy it from you.

MNNTHBX

Supporting Vendor
Country flag
Need some help please -

I have a Bazzaz ZFI and have downloaded the fitment instructions - all good - My question is can I just fit this item straight out of the box on my RC ? It is still running the original ECU settings has never been flashed with the Ackro map .

Secondly - it says on the fitting instructions to plug in and check that everything is all ok after installed- My problem here is even if I do plug it in I would have no idea what I am looking for - or at !!!! or can I just install start bike and go have fun with no risk to the motor etc ?

Any help will be appreciated - Cheers
(1) No need to refresh anything. It will be good out of the box.
(2) You're only checking to verify basics, like the bike will start. We've never had issue in that regard.