Best coolant out there for my 2017 RC390?

rc390cr

Country flag
Guys,

As thread states, what's the best coolant out there for my 2017 rc390? Have you tried any that really helps cool down the bike better?

Thanks for your inputs!

Regards,

Luis.

I've heard EngineIce works nicely but I've also heard some tracks don't allow it, so if you're looking to take it to the track then I'd check up on that first. There's another common one that the guys around here use too but I can't remember the name of it right now

trashguy

Country flag
Have you tried Water Wetter from Redline? I use it in all my small turbo cage engines I build and I can reliably get 10-15F lower temps. Royal purple has their own formula too.

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
I'd suggest that you consider replacing the stock fan and its restrictive shroud with a SPAL unit. You also could go to a higher pressure radiator cap. You can search this forum for info about both of these things.

I'd also suggest you bear in mind that coolant has several important functions: transferring heat, controlling corrosion, and lubricating the water pump. Focusing only on one of these may lead to regrets later.

Engine Ice has less anti-corrosion than I like. Water Wetter has virtually no lubricant (allowing it to be used on race tracks that prohibit other coolants).

I use Toyota Long Life coolant. It does all three jobs well. Along with my SPAL fan and 1.8 bar radiator cap, I have never come close to overheating my dedicated track bike, even on 100-degree July days in Texas.

One more thing to consider: Cooler is not better, except in over-heat situations. Hot engines run better. It's why our bikes have thermostats. The goal is to run hot... but just not too hot.