Beware of the KTM fork upgrade

Edwardp33

Country flag
Just purchase an RC390 mostly for use as a track bike, but also with plans for street riding. I purchase the KTM power parts RC Cup fork upgrade. Speedo and ABS will not work with these forks. These forks do not have a mount for the speedometer sensor. As a result the speedo reads incorrectly and the ABS engages at slow speeds for no reason. KTM leaves it up to me to build a mounting bracket for the speedometer sensor. Completely unacceptable. What kind of company lacks the forsight to anticipate dual use of an RC390.

My dealer has offered to build a bracket. Will let you know how it turns out. I am amazed at KTM's position.

Last edited:

SPG

Hi Edward,
Do you want to sell your stock forks? I am trying to figure out fork options and would love to have a spare set to tinker with. PM if interested. Thanks!
-Sean

KTMGene390

For those of you who purchased the WP RC Cup front forks, as you know the ABS and Speedometer will not work correctly. I can't find the fourm post but someone suggested an even made a custom bracket as a solution to the problem. However, I found a simpler solution. It involves one washer from OSH pictured below with part number. Rotate the sensor as pictured below so that the wire is wedged against the inside of the front fender, then with the washer installed hold it with your finger, position and tighten the nut.

I have tested this at normal road speeds as well as on slippery underground garage concrete to trigger the ABS, it works perfectly. So far, so good, I'll let you know otherwise.

yamaha

Washer

For those of you who purchased the WP RC Cup front forks, as you know the ABS and Speedometer will not work correctly. I can't find the fourm post but someone suggested an even made a custom bracket as a solution to the problem. However, I found a simpler solution. It involves one washer from OSH pictured below with part number. Rotate the sensor as pictured below so that the wire is wedged against the inside of the front fender, then with the washer installed hold it with your finger, position and tighten the nut.

I have tested this at normal road speeds as well as on slippery underground garage concrete to trigger the ABS, it works perfectly. So far, so good, I'll let you know otherwise.

I have just purchased the rc 390 with the cup fork. My first question is.. has your washer upgrade solved the problem long term. My second question where the forks worth the money. I'm 200 pounds. I have gone with the larger disc and the dyno jet ecu. Bike should arrive in a month ,

Regards Shaun

KTMGene390

I have just purchased the rc 390 with the cup fork. My first question is.. has your washer upgrade solved the problem long term. My second question where the forks worth the money. I'm 200 pounds. I have gone with the larger disc and the dyno jet ecu. Bike should arrive in a month ,

Regards Shaun

Yes the washer trick still works. As far as the WP forks go the supplied springs are way undersprung for your weight. Even the strongest spring WP offers for these forks are not enough for your weight. Of course you can use other brand springs which would solve the problem. As far as the forks being worth the money depends: at the time I purchased mine there was no other solution yet available but now cheaper options exist that work just as well using the stock forks with different internals. The cup forks work great with the correct springs it's just they are over priced for the actual performance which is great not stellar.