Need Help Bike shuts off at idle, and feels like it has two powerbands

Hubn

Country flag
hi everyone, my bike recently startet to shut off in neutral (after a few minutes) at red lights and it accelerates weird in 3rd and 4th gear.
It jerks forward in 3rd and 4th gear when i rev it past 7k rpm.

I suspect it might be a clogged fuel filter, but i'm not really sure and just wanted to ask if someone had the same problem.
Im not really experienced with working on bikes, so i'd be very thankfull for every suggestion.

Thanks in advance

Hubn

Country flag
Ok, so i fixed the crack in the airbox, that everyones pre 2017 RCs have, reseated the sparkplug connector and cleaned the y connector of the tank vent lines. And that fixed the problem. I think it was the spark plug boot.WhatsApp Image 2023-01-29 at 14.19.59.jpeg
Here is the Y-connector in question
Screenshot 2023-01-29 143050.png
And thats the crack i mean

checking the sparkplug connection is pretty easy, you just have to take the tank off the bike

hope it helps someone

Hubn

Country flag
I've had that exact same issue twice. I replaced my intake with something else because of it.
ive heard that the new ones (2017-) dont crack, at least my dad's 2019 is alr atm
i really hope that the epoxy holds up, it seems to be an issue with tension within the mold and not the pressure of the air so...

Hubn

Country flag
It won't. I used JB weld and it still cracked
I think I'm gonna look for a 2nd gen airbox, cos they aren't as linient with mods in Austria, so throwing something custom on it isn't really an option.
But yall aperantly ride around without plates, so mods don't seem to be the biggest problem of the authorities

dhynz

Country flag
Ok, so i fixed the crack in the airbox, that everyones pre 2017 RCs have, reseated the sparkplug connector and cleaned the y connector of the tank vent lines. And that fixed the problem. I think it was the spark plug boot.View attachment 7200
Here is the Y-connector in question
View attachment 7201
And thats the crack i mean

checking the sparkplug connection is pretty easy, you just have to take the tank off the bike

hope it helps someone
What do you mean by reseated the sparkplug connector? and does cleaning the tank vent lines really help? and i found the my new airbox I replaced just a month ago got cracked at the hose area

Hubn

Country flag
What do you mean by reseated the sparkplug connector? and does cleaning the tank vent lines really help? and i found the my new airbox I replaced just a month ago got cracked at the hose area
My sparkplug connector got loose, i suggest you pull the sparkplug out and check if you put the booz on with enough force (you have to really twist it on) also, the y connector is manufactured pretty badly by ktm and temds to clog up. The airbox is probably a lost cause, at least for pre 2019 models. But the airbox shouldn't be a problem. The only thing that crack impacts, is the tiny bit of oil that would be vented out of the valve cover anyway, is getting a bit earlier out of the system

dhynz

Country flag
Thank you, will try it out and update.
Before the fix did you have issues like backfiring during deceleration and missing while idle (like the rpm is contact at 1.8-2k rpm but it’s like when there is not spark at a certain stroke of combustion)
If not what was ur exact problem u were facing? I am facing like when i give a sudden throttle at 4k rpm on every when the power flatens out and after 7k rpm the bike start to pull and i can feel the bike is pulling. Is thia was your issue?

Hubn

Country flag
I had exactly your problems.
If, what i did, doesn't work for you, it might be a faulty coil or sparkplug wire, but i dont think thats your problem.

Your issues are either fuel or spark related, just keep that in mind

dhynz

Country flag
I had exactly your problems.
If, what i did, doesn't work for you, it might be a faulty coil or sparkplug wire, but i dont think thats your problem.

Your issues are either fuel or spark related, just keep that in mind
Thank you man!
Will fix it and update you soon

B7ACKTHORN

Country flag
My sparkplug connector got loose, i suggest you pull the sparkplug out and check if you put the booz on with enough force (you have to really twist it on) also, the y connector is manufactured pretty badly by ktm and temds to clog up. The airbox is probably a lost cause, at least for pre 2019 models. But the airbox shouldn't be a problem. The only thing that crack impacts, is the tiny bit of oil that would be vented out of the valve cover anyway, is getting a bit earlier out of the system
Do keep a tab on that Y connector, they clog up fast and in worse conditions the overflow fuel or water from the fuel tank can bypass their way to the coolant reservoir over flow tube and end up in the coolant reservoir sucked by the radiator which would mean pump seal failure and blown head gasket. The Y connector connects the drain from the coolant expansion tank and the fuel tank overflow tank, so it's a pretty clever yet crappy design, talk about tight spaces they were dealing with.

dhynz

Country flag
Bro it didn't solve the problem i removeD the spark plug connector and replugged it and locked the rubber cap in place it doesn't have any changes SOMEONE PLS HELP!!

dhynz

Country flag
how to test spark bro? i have no idea about it also it a new spark plug and ignition coil

Last edited: