Blink code 53 ??

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
I'm getting blink code 53 on a bike I bought non-running and just got running. So I don't know any history. And the blink code chart ion the manual doesn't list 53 (5 long and 3 short.

The engine seems to run fine, though I've only idled it and blipped the throttle in neutral.

Anyone know?

Thanks!

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
Bump. I contacted KTM 'Customer Service' and they unhelpfully suggested I take it to a dealer, who could then read the code and ask KTM engineering what it means. I told them I know the code and it's 150 miles to an incompetent dealer, and could they please just ask 'the engineers'? No response.

Surely, some dealer or wizard here knows something or has a contact in the KTM engineering department?

Interestingly, the code now goes away when I ride the bike, and returns when I stop and idle in neutral.

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
@Fasteddy, thank you very much for the replies.

I should have mentioned before that I did scan with OBD, and there were no codes. Nevertheless, I commanded clearing of codes; but it had no effect.

I ran the scan with the engine not running. Maybe I should have started the engine before scanning - in case there was a transient code?

The canister was removed by the previous owner, and I can see that he installed what appears to be a resistor across the terminals of the canister's plug. The resistor is pink and I did not notice any color bands on it, though I admit I did not examine it closely. If you think I should, please let me know.

Thank you again for taking an interest in my problem. It is the only gremlin in this otherwise excellent bike.

Fasteddy

Country flag
It should be a 2.2K ohm resistor, I would check that it reads correctly with ohm meter and that connections are solid. I always loop ends of lead before I push them in.

I did a search on code 53 and oddly a pic of my post for this came up on a different KTM forum...

You may have to ride it with the OBD reader to catch it if its intermittent.