Braided Brake lines install

dobr

Installed the stainless lines bypassing the ABS. Haven't ridden it yet but the lever feels worlds better. I can't even pull the lever all the way back to the bar. This should allow one finger braking. There are a LOT of fasteners on this bike. Total time to take everything apart, remove ABS lines, install straight lines, bleed and reinstall all plastics, tank, battery... was about three hours! Plus a bunch of bloody knuckles. Swedes must have teeny little hands!

DCMoney

Country flag
Installed the stainless lines bypassing the ABS. Haven't ridden it yet but the lever feels worlds better. I can't even pull the lever all the way back to the bar. This should allow one finger braking. There are a LOT of fasteners on this bike. Total time to take everything apart, remove ABS lines, install straight lines, bleed and reinstall all plastics, tank, battery... was about three hours! Plus a bunch of bloody knuckles. Swedes must have teeny little hands!

I thought KTM was out of Austria? And the 390s were made in Indonesia.

Fasteddy

Country flag
So did you remove the ABS unit? If you can could you post a pic of what the ABS unit has for connectors / wiring?

Thanks

Fasteddy

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I didn't say it was an easy install :D... But well worth it. Thanks for purchasing. The abs module has one connector. "I" leave it installed and plugged in as to not throw errors on dash. You could remove it but totally but if it is a street bike you will have no speedo and blining errors on dash. I think errors on the dash are annoying and a sign of a poorly executed job. IMO.

guzz46

Damn, even when I had the standard brake lever it didn't even come remotely close to the bar.

Ausracer

Just finished installing brake line kit myself. Quality and fitment are excellent, I left ABS unit on also and plugged holes. I'm with dobr this a bit of a finicky bike to work on so getting rid of some extra hoses and stuff is good. Can't believe how much stuff is one the bike ! I will be running the 320mm KTM disc This requires longer calliper spacers 8.2mm /17mm 20mm long KTM part no 90813998050, and longer bolts DIN912 M8/1/70mm KTM part no 0912080709. For those wishing to do the same the bolts can be hard to source elsewhere so you might be better off chasing the ktm bolts.

ryandalling

Who is selling the braided brake line kit? Also, pictures of the process? I don't mind disabling the ABS, would like to know speed, but track only, so I really don't need it.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Last edited:

A1VW2NV

Country flag
Just finished installing brake line kit myself. Quality and fitment are excellent, I left ABS unit on also and plugged holes. I'm with dobr this a bit of a finicky bike to work on so getting rid of some extra hoses and stuff is good. Can't believe how much stuff is one the bike ! I will be running the 320mm KTM disc This requires longer calliper spacers 8.2mm /17mm 20mm long KTM part no 90813998050, and longer bolts DIN912 M8/1/70mm KTM part no 0912080709. For those wishing to do the same the bolts can be hard to source elsewhere so you might be better off chasing the ktm bolts.
I'm shocked KTM doesn't sell the disc as a kit, with the NECESSARY hardware?!

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I'm shocked KTM doesn't sell the disc as a kit, with the NECESSARY hardware?!

They do. It will be available in a month or so. It is sold as a kit in the Powerparts catalog, just not available yet. Will have 320 disc, caliper spacers, and bolts (why the price is higher than the 320 rotor alone off cup bike). Ausracer listed parts individually since kit isn't available yet .

dobr

I also wanted some sintered pads so I ordered the Braking 952CM55 pads. They are a direct fit for the front caliper. I found them on Amazon for $36. Those are the old pads in the box.
726df50a9984ed56ddd0cf5c3804d73d.jpg

emeglasson

My new braided lines just showed up from KTM Performance, the site sponsor. Chad there was extremely helpful. I upgraded to a radial master cylinder, so Chad sourced a line from Spiegler that is 40 mm longer to aid in the fitting to the new cylinder. It also has a swiveling banjo, unlike the stock unit, so it should make for easier routing. I will be fitting them tomorrow afternoon. I'll try to take a few photos and document the install a bit. And...then I'll be testing them on track Saturday.