Brake line kits

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
We should have first set of brake lines in tomorrow. As soon as they come in and I get installed, we will post pics off and on the bike. Obviously these will be standard master to caliper line set (bypass ABS modulator). They are black lines (F & R) with black aluminum fittings and bolts. As long as I'm happy with fitment they will be available to purchase for those of you interested. Price should be $139.00 plus shipping. Stay "posted" for pictures :D

Ausracer

Hi, brake line kits look good, where would I find you guys on the net to order? Last question from what I looked at I could remove ABS unit as long as I dont need a speedo, is this correct or is the ecu dependent on some other wiring interconnection from the ABS unit? Thanks in advance.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Hi, brake line kits look good, where would I find you guys on the net to order? Last question from what I looked at I could remove ABS unit as long as I dont need a speedo, is this correct or is the ecu dependent on some other wiring interconnection from the ABS unit? Thanks in advance.

You can call us, Commonwealth Motorcycles @ 502-568-2666 to order them or in a day or two we will have on the website. When they are active on the site I will post a link. "I" leave abs module/wiring due to CAN wiring, and just put the proper (standard) lines on the bike.

Last edited:

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
IMG_4559.jpgIMG_4564.jpgIMG_4568.jpgIMG_4572.jpgIMG_4581.jpg
These will fit fine with the KTM PowerPart Rear sets. I heard someone speak of changing to radial master on the front. The line set can be ordered differently to accommodate that too.

emeglasson

I ordered the Spiegler brake line kit from Chad at KTM Performance (cjwell) last week. They arrived promptly. Here's a run down of the install and my results.

Someone on the forum mentioned that it took them 3 hours to remove the old lines and install the new ones. Congratulations to them, because it took me waaay longer than that. To my credit, I was also removing the headlights, turn signals, and the ABS control module.

So, in general, yeah, it is a pain in the ass. If you are taking out the ABS module, you really have to dig into the bike. I decided I was going to pull the old brake lines, the electric sensor wires with magnets, and the entire ABS module. Chad was very helpful over the phone to give me a little direction. I decided I didn't mind having the ABS light always lit on my dash. That seemed like a better option than leaving the module in and keeping the sensor wires in place. Part of my goal was to reduce weight and clutter, along with improving the brake feel.

To access the ABS module, you will have to remove the fairings, tank cover, fuel tank, battery cover, and battery. You will need to loosen the battery tray and lift it up as far as possible. You will also have to loosen the top of the radiator plastic shroud. The module is a bear to reach. You will have to remove the bolts that hold the metal plate attached to the bottom of the module. I had to remove a small sensor under the head tube to get the plate out. Reaching the bolts that hold that plate in place is not easy. But, once I finally pulled the module (after about 5 hours of digging), I felt a pretty large sense of accomplishment, like I just removed some huge, nasty parasite from my bike!

Installing and bleeding the new lines is incredibly easy.

The braking feel is improved, and the bike is simplified and now several pounds lighter, so I'm glad I did it. But I will admit to more than a few curse words being uttered during the process! Thanks for the assistance, Chad.

In image 3 below, the module is the black thing under the clear clip with the yellow wires. It is in deep.

5.JPG6.JPG7.JPG8.JPG9.JPG

ryandalling

So... correct me if I am wrong here... but I just read the stock lines are already steel braided... this just a kit to bypass the ABS then?

Fasteddy

Country flag
per TZMIKE's post 'Cuup Bike Conversion Kit'

Item 22
- 90512932044 ABS DISMANTLING KIT -
looks interesting...

emeglasson

Ryan - Exactly. The only potential improvement to performance is that you are eliminating three or four feet of brake line from each brake, as each lever first runs to the modulator, then from the modulator to the caliper.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
per TZMIKE's post 'Cuup Bike Conversion Kit'

Item 22
- 90512932044 ABS DISMANTLING KIT -
looks interesting...

The kit from KTM is 2 brake lines, that's it, nothing else. I called KTM and verified in person on the cup bike. Not sure of price yet but will be willing to bet they're higher than mine. IMO the routing is atrocious and line quality is poorer, but to each is own. Also their kit is not available yet either.

ryandalling

I'm going to order your kit... and probably a bunch of other stuff. Just doing the one piece at a time method. Race conversions are kinda spendy. :)

owspeed

Country flag
Thanks for the detailed outline of the process.
I just picked up my RC390 and will be in the same mode. I want to remove everthing that is unnessary for weight and performance. It will be mostly a track bike but I want to retain the street status just enough for testing and occasional rides.

Being a weight weeny, did you weight the entire ABS kit you removed?

William
Santa Cruz

I ordered the Spiegler brake line kit from Chad at KTM Performance (cjwell) last week. They arrived promptly. Here's a run down of the install and my results.

Someone on the forum mentioned that it took them 3 hours to remove the old lines and install the new ones. Congratulations to them, because it took me waaay longer than that. To my credit, I was also removing the headlights, turn signals, and the ABS control module.

So, in general, yeah, it is a pain in the ass. If you are taking out the ABS module, you really have to dig into the bike. I decided I was going to pull the old brake lines, the electric sensor wires with magnets, and the entire ABS module. Chad was very helpful over the phone to give me a little direction. I decided I didn't mind having the ABS light always lit on my dash. That seemed like a better option than leaving the module in and keeping the sensor wires in place. Part of my goal was to reduce weight and clutter, along with improving the brake feel.

To access the ABS module, you will have to remove the fairings, tank cover, fuel tank, battery cover, and battery. You will need to loosen the battery tray and lift it up as far as possible. You will also have to loosen the top of the radiator plastic shroud. The module is a bear to reach. You will have to remove the bolts that hold the metal plate attached to the bottom of the module. I had to remove a small sensor under the head tube to get the plate out. Reaching the bolts that hold that plate in place is not easy. But, once I finally pulled the module (after about 5 hours of digging), I felt a pretty large sense of accomplishment, like I just removed some huge, nasty parasite from my bike!

Installing and bleeding the new lines is incredibly easy.

The braking feel is improved, and the bike is simplified and now several pounds lighter, so I'm glad I did it. But I will admit to more than a few curse words being uttered during the process! Thanks for the assistance, Chad.

In image 3 below, the module is the black thing under the clear clip with the yellow wires. It is in deep.

View attachment 299View attachment 300View attachment 301View attachment 302View attachment 303

Muckabucka

Country flag
I did this last night. I'm assuming the ABS unit was one of the first things bolted to the frame during assembly. What a PITA!. Anyway while I'm down to that level, I'm also pulling off all kinds of other crap I won't need.

This is a nice kit. I just finished eliminating the ABS pump and lines from our bike using Chad's kit. The lines are just about perfect for routing and fit. I felt noticeably better lever after this direct master cylinder to caliper installation and bleeding the system with Motul 600. We will give it a good test next week at the track!

Anytime you disable the ABS system yes you will have a ABS light on the display, but it doesn't effect the the engine management system. I'm not sure how you could perform this with out doing both front and back.

This is a very nice kit that takes the guess work out of what to source for the project.