Braking System - Anyone looking into upgrade it?

monkey203

Hey everyone!

I'm new to the forum. I have been owning the RC about three months now. About time to look into some upgrades for the bike.

As I ride more often with the bike, I found that the stock BYBRE braking system got some room of improvement. The braking feel is not as firm as I anticipated from riding other bikes, especially the moment before turning into a corner.

I looked up what the others owners have done to improve the braking power. I read that some owners fitted the bigger brake disc, seems like an easy fix.

I'm still digging around on what can I do to upgrade the brakes. So, I thought I share my question here, to see if anyone have suggestions or comments on my thought. Should I upgrade to a new braking system? Or to keep it stock and make some adjustments, so that it would not to mess with the factory warranty?

Thanks !! :cool:

psych0hans

Country flag
I'm planning a Bigger Brake Disc + Bigger Master Cylinder + Bigger Caliper + ABS Bypass Lines. Most people do Better Pads + Bleeding.

ASM

I have swapped the rotor to the KTM Powerparts 320mm one, swapped the pads and added new brake lines (while also eliminating the ABS). That eliminates pretty much all the issues with the stock setup.

All items are available from KTM Performance (site sponsor). Talk to Chad, he'll walk you through the different items to make sure you get exactly what you are after (stopping power, more feel etc.).

Last edited:

Treachery

Country flag
I did the OE size wave rotor and Galfer pads. It's better, but the lever is much much too soft. I'm going to re-bleed. I hate to bypass the ABS, just as a safety thing, but I'm afraid I'm at greater risk by not having full braking power than from locking them up. I may look at an upgraded/radial master cylinder, but that involves pretty substantial cash. We'll see.

HardRacing

Supporting Vendor
Country flag
Hey everyone!

I'm new to the forum. I have been owning the RC about three months now. About time to look into some upgrades for the bike.

As I ride more often with the bike, I found that the stock BYBRE braking system got some room of improvement. The braking feel is not as firm as I anticipated from riding other bikes, especially the moment before turning into a corner.

I looked up what the others owners have done to improve the braking power. I read that some owners fitted the bigger brake disc, seems like an easy fix.

I'm still digging around on what can I do to upgrade the brakes. So, I thought I share my question here, to see if anyone have suggestions or comments on my thought. Should I upgrade to a new braking system? Or to keep it stock and make some adjustments, so that it would not to mess with the factory warranty?

Thanks !! :cool:

We did.

A Complete writeup, Full Install video, review and Real world comparison testing.

http://www.rc390-forum.com/forum/ha...it-ktm-install-video-brake-tests-results.html

monkey203

Thank you all for the suggestions! It's also interesting to see what the others have done to try improve the braking performance of the RC.

Initially, I was thinking to get the wave rotor disc and brake pads showed on the ktm parts catalog. But then, rather then spending around $300-$400 for new pads and disc, I thought about to raise my budget and get a new master cylinder as well, just like most of you suggested. Until I made up my mind, I'm starting save up cash for the upgrade...

psych0hans

Country flag
Thank you all for the suggestions! It's also interesting to see what the others have done to try improve the braking performance of the RC.

Initially, I was thinking to get the wave rotor disc and brake pads showed on the ktm parts catalog. But then, rather then spending around $300-$400 for new pads and disc, I thought about to raise my budget and get a new master cylinder as well, just like most of you suggested. Until I made up my mind, I'm starting save up cash for the upgrade...

Start with the lines and pads, then take it from there. Also, instead of a brand new master cylinder, look at getting a used R6/1 unit which is brembo OE. I managed to snag a new multistrada master cylinder for 125$

HardRacing

Supporting Vendor
Country flag

The beauty of it...... is that you can build as you go.

You can just get the rotors, and pads to start.

Then add the MC later as your budget allows.

Bags

I tried a Brembo MC and ran into a problem with it hitting the fairing stay. Although the braking on the Cup bike is more than sufficient. if you are hard braking on the track you are not winning time that's for sure. I only changed it since all my other bikes are on Brembo MC. That was my experience at least.