Building a 2022 race bike

dan668s

Country flag
Hi,

This seem like a great forum, and I've already learned a lot!

I just bought a 2022 KTM RC 390 for my 14 year old son, and we are turning into a race bike during this autumn/winter.
He is racing in the Junior300 class here in Norway, and we are upgrading from a R3 to a RC390, hoping to beat those Kawa 400s

Since my son will be racing in the Junior300 class, we are not allowed to do any modifications to either the engine or dampers.
However, an external fuel management module is allowed.

This is our plans for the bike:
- Rapid Bike Racing (ECU-module)
- GB Racing engine covers
- Quickshifter+
- Keyless fuel cap
- Brake guard
- Carbon rear sprocket guard
- SBS Dual Sinter brake pads
- Lighter racing chain (without o-rings)
- Lightweight rear sprocket
- Lightweight exhaust hanger
- Steel braided brake lines
- Racing rear sets
- Decat (and maybe headers)
- Race fairings

Since we are new to KTM, and aftermarket parts for the 2022-models seem a bit limited, we have a few questions:
- If we bypass the ABS with new brakes lines, will we still retain the traction control?
- If we remove the kickstand, do we need the kickstand bypass plug to avoid any error codes/faults?
- Are there any other decat-options than the Leo Vince headers/decat pipe for the 2022 model?
- Are the factory KTM rear sets any good, in regards to adjustability and low weight?
- Are the Sebimoto race fairings a good choice? Are there any other options?
- Galfer front brake lines are out of stock at Grey Area. Are there any other alternatives or sources?
- To keep cost down we consider to keep the stock muffler. Is this very restricting in terms of power?
- Any other worthwhile modifications we should do?

Any help is highly appreciated!

Looking forward to getting to know the members of this forum.

kostean

Country flag
Having the kid (13) racing past 4 years at Supersport 300 class I can't really imagine the reason for moving from R3 to 390 as neither of the platforms is able to compete with Ninja 400 at class with mild modifications allowed (intake, exhaust and fuel tuning). I presume your R3 does have the FIM 300 class approved GYTR kit at least installed as that brings the power of the R3 to an equal level of unrestricted 390 engine, but i do highly doubt that KTM has managed to improve the fame to that extent now for 2022 model it would be preferred over R3 one. Powerplant set aside, the R3 is still to be considered as the best 300 class platform and knowing racers riding both, many would wish to move the 400 engine to R3 frame to get the best out of both.

No offence to KTM, 2022 model might actually be able to close the narrow gap with R3 frame-wise, just wondering over the logic of building a new bike in an attempt to beat Ninja :D

Last edited:

dan668s

Country flag
Having the kid (13) racing past 4 years at Supersport 300 class I can't really imagine the reason for moving from R3 to 390 as neither of the platforms is able to compete with Ninja 400 at class with mild modifications allowed (intake, exhaust and fuel tuning). I presume your R3 does have the FIM 300 class approved GYTR kit at least installed as that brings the power of the R3 to an equal level of unrestricted 390 engine, but i do highly doubt that KTM has managed to improve the fame to that extent now for 2022 model it would be preferred over R3 one. Powerplant set aside, the R3 is still to be considered as the best 300 class platform and knowing racers riding both, many would wish to move the 400 engine to R3 frame to get the best out of both.

No offence to KTM, 2022 model might actually be able to close the narrow gap with R3 frame-wise, just wondering over the logic of building a new bike in an attempt to beat Ninja :D
Hi Kostean,

thanks a lot for your input.
Time will show if this was a smart move

However, the rules in the Norwegian Junior300-series doesn’t allow ANY engine modifications, besides an add-on fuel mapping module.

The Kawa 400 bike is restricted by reducing the inlet, which I believe will even out the power differences between the Kawa and the KTM. Then hopefully the weight reduction and improved frame could make it competitive.

anyways, it will be a fun project building a new bike with my son.

In the 300 Supersport class however, where GYTR-Kit is allowed, the R3’n and Kawa400 are pretty equal, and you probably would need to spend a lot of money on the KTM to make it compatible in the supersport class power wise.

Kawa400 is also restricted in the Norwegian Supersport class when it comes to max rpm.

There is currently no restrictions on the KTM, so it’s going to be interesting to see how it works out

dan668s

Country flag
Another issue is that I don’t like the Ninjas. They are quick, but I’m always up for a challenge.
Must be my experience from competing on a Ducati Panigale against Kawa ZX10RR in the old days

kostean

Country flag
Another issue is that I don’t like the Ninjas. They are quick, but I’m always up for a challenge.
Must be my experience from competing on a Ducati Panigale against Kawa ZX10RR in the old days

The regulations specific to country/class of course change what the favourite bike might turn up to be.

If the Norwegian regulations are not a copy of FIM SSP300 and you need to compete with R3 with its stock engine internals- then in that case Yamaha is definitely having a huge disadvantage compared with KTM 390. Heck, even with full GYTR kit installed + hours of tuning R3 is only slightly faster than the KTM with stock engine internals (KTM pulls harder from the corner, R3 has an advantage on long straights).

Mustang505

Country flag
hi
did you purchase the Rapid Bike Racing ECU? If so, is it a piggy back unit or a replacement for the stock ECU? If you have completed the build post some pics, I'm keen to see what your '22 model looked like in the end. I'm doing the same to a '22 model so interested to see what track bodywork you chose.
cheers