Change your oil--EARLY

Guyhowdy

That's the cleanest pic from a first change that I've seen! Good on ya!

This was actually my 2nd oil change at 396 miles...my first change was at 208 miles and had the typical gasket chunks and a few larger metal flakes with none of the worms others have mentioned. This picture was to show that 2 oil changes before the first service is probably good enough to get all the nasties out. Maybe it would be smart for a new RC 390 to do an extra early oil change after the first 20 miles, another change around 200 miles, then the normal first service.

Muckabucka

Country flag
Here's a good one. I have no idea how this little guy would have gotten into the crankcase. It is a pebble or a stone, or whatever you want to call it. It was in the larger of the two screen filter areas. I had some trouble removing the filter, and fished this out with my finger...
My bike had 132 street miles and two race weekends. This will have been the 4th oil change...2015-07-22 22.30.53.jpg

psych0hans

Country flag
Whoa! I bought my bike used and the cheap idiot who owned it before me didn't do the oil change even till 1000miles... First thing I did when I got it was to get it serviced.

Mototoro

Just did my first change at 385 miles and here's the take:

z835D6Xl.jpg

2HvUvknl.jpg

nvGNepjl.jpg

QgoJ9ELl.jpg

So what are the black RTV looking worms then? I had them in my oil too.

rompus

From what I see the filters are doing their job and are not so clogged as to impede oil flow. My RC has 514 on it and getting ready for the 625 mile service.

Treachery

Country flag
Yeeees, and tell the class how you feel about the filter and strainers having to do that much work well short of 500 miles...

rompus

Yeeees, and tell the class how you feel about the filter and strainers having to do that much work well short of 500 miles...

I have seen some you tube videos of RC filters with even more crud than that. It seems like it is a common occurrence with these bikes. Am I concerned? Sure I question why there is so much wear but I have nothing to compare it with. If it was that bad after 3000 miles I would definitely be concerned. I will check my filters on a regular basis.

Just did a second change at 2465 miles, 2 track days. Oil was definitely dirty. I went ahead and ordered the full oil change kit (drain bolts, screens, and filter included). There was one 3" long RTV from the case.