charcoal canister

mr-fabricator

I had no idea it had one , my fairings have been of many times and not noticed this before ??

Is it a US ( im in oz and i thinknwe got the EU spec bike ) thing ?? And what does it do ..

Regards lee

dobr

Charcoal canister is designed to catch gas fumes and recycle them. I don't think the EU bikes came with one. I plan to take mine off when I pull the fairings.

I forgot to check that. One problem with the canister is on some bikes if you overfill the fuel it can saturate the canister and cause improper venting. BMW F800 bikes were terrible about this.

Treachery

Country flag
^^^^
True. On the BMW 1150 and 1200GS-es, removing the canister wasn't as simple as just amputating it; there was a bunch of rerouting and T-fittings... Let us know if there's any problem from just punting it.

emeglasson

I removed my charcoal canister Friday evening after doing a bit of other work on the bike. I rode it around the neighborhood for 10 minutes to make sure all was good., It seemed fine. Next day, I drove 3 hours to the track, and the bike would not run for more than one minute. Needless to say, slightly frustrated. I just now got home and am working on re-installing, but since KTM didn't see fit to deliver the US bikes with an owner's manual, verifying the proper routing is not easy. Ugh. The manual i downloaded from this site is for non - U.S. bikes. I'll keep looking for hte US version.

Treachery

Country flag
Man, hate to hear that. TZMike posted up a part number for the US service manual on CD. Might not help you immediately, but it should prove useful long-term. Good luck with the resurrection.

emeglasson

I will order that service manual when my dealer opens...tomorrow. I should have done that sooner. (thanks TZ Mike for posting the part number)

Update: I plugged the canister back into its stock configuration, and the bike runs properly. Thankfully, it was an easy fix. But certainly annoying that it ruined a track day weekend. My fault, of course.

So, there is everyone's answer; simply unplugging the canister doesn't work. You need to re-route the plumbing a little more carefully. I tried a few options at the track to try to get it going; I hooked the two hoses that ran to the canister into each other. (that was the first set up) Then I left the hose open, then I tried plugging the hoses.

Corey

Country flag
I did this the other day, and it's very easy. You probably left the vac line that comes from the throttle body open which would cause the bike to run poorly or not at all. That's got to be plugged. The fuel tank vent can be left open and the overflow just routed to the ground.

Treachery

Country flag
I did this the other day, and it's very easy. You probably left the vac line that comes from the throttle body open which would cause the bike to run poorly or not at all. That's got to be plugged. The fuel tank vent can be left open and the overflow just routed to the ground.

Can you identify which is which by eyeball at the canister end, or are they short enough to trace back? What do you gain by the canisterectomy, and how much weight do you drop?

dobr

I blew into the hoses. The one that I couldn't blow into I plugged. The others I tied together and ran to the bottom of the bike. I actually used the Y fitting and plug and clamps that I pulled off the bike and didn't use anything else.

emeglasson

dobr is right, just plugging the large hose allows the bike to run properly. The odd thing is, I did that at the track, but it was after the engine had gone into shut down mode. I suspect if I would have kept trying, it would have eventually fired up.

And, to answer someone's earlier question, there is very little weight savings; about 180 grams total. THe only real value in removing the canister is the convenience of not having to un-attach and re-attach it to the fairing when you take them on and off.

Treachery

Country flag
^^^^^
Ah, thanks for that explanation.

Edit: I can tell you that after today's consternation with that little bahstid, I'm jettisoning it at the next oil change.

Last edited:

Trav1sBickle

Country flag
I recently removed my fairing to put on a new windscreen and am unsure if something got unplugged. Can anyone confirm this is stock setup (2 lines routed down to drain and top of catch can open to air)?IMG_0751.JPG

rick

Did my break-in service this weekend and was annoyed by the canister.
Pulling it out and having to remember hose routing seemed like a hassle so, I just hung the whole left fairing out of the way from the handlebar with an old shoe lace. This is an older thread but Trav1sBickle does have it right with two hoses going down to the bellypan.
I certainly don't have any problem with vapor recovery but, the location and mounting method of this system is pretty annoying. I certainly wouldn't hate looking at some instructions on how to remove it. :D

HFD1 Tuner

Yes make sure the tank vent is not plugged! The vac line needs to be plugged. Just a quick story Yamaha VFR customer plugged the tank vent line on wrong pipe and the tank caved in due to the fuel pump sucking out fuel(drove for several hours) could not get the fuel cap off. Had to pull tank off and unplug the hose to release vacuum