charcoal canister

HFD1 Tuner

Yes make sure the tank vent is not plugged! The vac line needs to be plugged. Just a quick story Yamaha VFR customer plugged the tank vent line on wrong pipe and the tank caved in due to the fuel pump sucking out fuel(drove for several hours) could not get the fuel cap off. Had to pull tank off and unplug the hose to release vacuum
Gray hair moment Honda that is...

tecknojoe

Country flag
Need some help

I completely tore the bike apart and put it back together. I get an error code which I believe is fuel evap system (5x long, 3x short). It's not even in the owners manual, but for another KTM it says fuel evap system.

Now, during my build I removed the evap canister. I put a small plug on the throttle body. I also put a small plug on the Y piece that the canister was connected to(the white cap in the first pic). This meant that both ends of the Y hose were now plugged (The other end had a cap from the factory on the end of the hose). So I removed the cap on the hose to open up one end of the Y. There is also a slightly larger nub on the gas tank, so I put the slightly larger hose on it and left that open as well (I believe this was a vent hose before, if I'm not mistaken).

The end result is a long hose coming from plug on the bottom of the gas tank on the rider's right, which feeds into the hose with the Y peice, which now has one opened hose on the bottom of it(in the palm of my hand in the first pic). The other plug on the rider's left hand side of the gas tank has a shorter fatter hose clamped on it, left uncapped(in my finger tips). Is this correct?

Here is a pic of the two hoses coming down the side of the bike (The forum turns the photos on their side btw)
IMG_3200.JPG

Here is a photo of the shorter fatter hose, you can barely see it running up to the nub on the gas tank behind that bolt (photo turned on it's left hand side again)
IMG_3201.JPG

big_sur

Did you remove the solenoid? I think you must have the KTM Akra map to remove that without throwing an error (unless you put in a resistor). If not, check my build thread for hose routing\plugging.

tecknojoe

Country flag
Did you remove the solenoid? I think you must have the KTM Akra map to remove that without throwing an error (unless you put in a resistor). If not, check my build thread for hose routing\plugging.

Selenoid = electrical plug for the charcoal canister? Yes, I removed that and didn't put in any sort of resistor.

Ugh, that's going to bother the shit out of me. Does a resistor exist? Going to go read through your thread now

Rexbo

Country flag
Oddly enough... my bike stopped throwing the charcoal canister code after a while, though I didn't do anything at all to address the unplugged connector.

Seems legit!

steve77

Country flag
I forgot to check that. One problem with the canister is on some bikes if you overfill the fuel it can saturate the canister and cause improper venting. BMW F800 bikes were terrible about this.

um would this cause the bike to sputter under acceleration - and is there a way to "dry out" the canister - my bike was working a week ago the last thing i did was top the tank off --- your post got me thinking....