Check your insurance!

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
For all you about to get an rc in the US shortly. CHECK WITH YOUR INSURANCE!!!!! This bike priced out at almost the same as a 2015 GSXR-750 for me. I am not a great example at 23 years old with a spotless driving record but we checked a few other people around the shop and they were crazy! Couldn't get a quote under $700 for a 44 year old man with a decent record. Absolutely insane! I had to not agree to purchase one of these beauties because the insurance was double the bike payment.

typhon

do you know how much of that was comp and collision? mandatory liability only runs me about $120 per year, on a ducati hyper 1100s.

Treachery

Country flag
Yeah, that's not good news. I've looked at a couple of (bigger) bikes, and the insurance on those was about the same as our cars. That's not gonna happen. I tried to get a quote on the RC, but without a VIN, Allstate was lost in the woods. Let's keep one another posted on this issue.

PunkRockMonkey

Hopefully this is just the insurance companies not knowing what the bike is yet.
It's listed as a supersport on the KTM website, so the insurance companies may be going from that as opposed to engine displacement. Who knows. If anyone else gets quoted high, I'd suggest raising hell with them until they get it figured out. It shouldn't be any more than the CBR300R or Ninja 300, especially since it's a sub-500cc bike.

VAG944

I had this problem back in '06 with my 675........I made sure they didn't use R6/GSXR/CBR or other typical squid bike as a comparison due to all the claims those bikes have. I forget what I said it was closer to (Interceptor but smaller displacement!?!) anyway they were good and understood that it was different (at the time, I'm sure now there is as many insurance and motorcycle endorsement-less squids as every other bike!!).

ClassicSauber87

Saw this thread a while ago and just got a quote from Rider, which if your lucky to be in their area in the North East, for me was only about $320 annually. I'm a 22 year old guy with one speeding violation in the last 3 years, so I'm not upset...because I had gotten a Progressive quote 20 minutes earlier of about $1200! F*ck that what a joke.

hooge

Saw this thread a while ago and just got a quote from Rider, which if your lucky to be in their area in the North East, for me was only about $320 annually. I'm a 22 year old guy with one speeding violation in the last 3 years, so I'm not upset...because I had gotten a Progressive quote 20 minutes earlier of about $1200! F*ck that what a joke.

Were you able to get comprehensive insurance through Rider? I tried getting a quote online but I received an error saying that only liability insurance is available for the rc390.

Last edited:

ClassicSauber87

Were you able to get comprehensive insurance through Rider? I tried getting a quote online but I received an error saying that only liability insurance is available for the rc390.

You cant set up a policy yet, but the guy ran the figures and told me what the price will be. The issue is the bike is not listed in NADA yet so until that gets updated (about a month or so) they cant make any policies, but afterwards you'll be able to make any kind of policy.

ClassicSauber87

Hey, Chris- Can you ask your agent what "symbol" or "cost class" they assigned to the RC? I'm with Allstate, and even with a VIN, they can't come up with a quote.

I'll ask, but I'm not sure what exactly they'll say. He actually had never run the numbers so while I waited on the line he walked me through it. Basically for them, anything under 551cc is a standard automatically, and he puts the horsepower and displacement numbers into a calculator along with price and comparable bikes like the R3 and CBR300, and comes up with a number that way. Let me see if they have any symbols or classes or anything like that, unless your looking for the standard bike classification

Fasteddy

Country flag
I will be getting mine insured with State Farm on Monday here in Oregon, now that I have a VIN sitting in the garage :^)