Clutch Life

sturge

My kid and I chose the rc390 for his first bike - he loves it...very cool bike. In 6 weeks of ownership he has put on over 5000 miles and the clutch is starting to go. At about 2000 miles he mentioned it was slipping a bit so we adjust the clutch (using cable adjuster). I showed him how to adjust so that if it occurred when I was not around he would learn how to adjust it. Today he told me it's getting really bad regardless of what he does to adjustment....I checked it out and I think it's time for a clutch kit ($250 for the kit).

I am really surprized by this...I have over 60K miles on my Harley with a highly modified engine that I don't baby...original clutch. Tons of buddies with every kind of bike over the years and never heard of someone needing a clutch anywhere close to this soon. Either he is totally screwed up in how he is using the clutch or these things are marginally designed. I have ridden with him about half those 5000 miles and have not noticed anything unusual regarding his clutch use...quick crisp shifting from what I observed. He had some time on a 250 dirt bike so there didn't appear to be much of a learning curve for him to get used to this clutch.

Any input on clutch life out there?
Also, are there any choices beyond the KTM kit?

I have service manual and will be doing the wrenching.

Ryanthegreat1

That seems like a REALLY short life span for a clutch. Maybe it was adjusted too tight and allowed to slip even with the clutch lever all the way out?

Sadly you have to drain the oil in these to do the clutch. Not like a dirt bike where you just kick it over on the ground draining all the oil away from the clutch. :p

Jokes aside it is an easy job on the 390, the hardest part is getting the plastics off. Might as well inspect the crank nut and water pump nut while you have it apart.

rippedcb

I'd think that this being your son's first bike probably has a lot to do with it. There are tons of Dukes out there with same clutches with many more miles without any issues..

sturge

Thanks for input...not seeing any other folks having clutch issues brought me to the same conclusions. Like I said in prior post...he did mention some slipping at about 2000 miles and we adjusted per manual. Maybe it was slipping a bit for his first 2000 miles before it finally got bad enough for him to realize it needed adjustment. Probably put a hurt on it and after another 3000 miles it's toast. He rides it pretty aggressively - lots of back road twisties staying in the powerband.

For anyone who has replaced clutch...is KTM kit the only option or are there any aftermarket kits out there?
I poked around internet (EBC, Barnett, etc) but nothing listed for this bike. Was hoping it was a common clutch size they may have used on some of their dirt bikes.

DCMoney

Country flag
Had to replace the clutch in my friends RC 390 race bike after 300 miles, cable was too tight, burnt up the clutch bad!

Barnett said nothing in the plans, KTM OEM parts was the only option.

Just a quick question to anyone that can help me? RE Clutch cable - correct fitment at the clutch cover case -

Q - The 2 x nuts that secure the clutch cable (For adjustment) at the bottom clutch cover and operating arm - are the 2 x nuts supposed to be on either side of the bracket down there? I have seen photos of other peoples RC with the nuts either side of the bracket - where mine are both at the front
of the bracket - if that makes sense? I have never had the cable off and are wondering if this is a factory error or not - Help please -

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Just a quick question to anyone that can help me? RE Clutch cable - correct fitment at the clutch cover case -

Q - The 2 x nuts that secure the clutch cable (For adjustment) at the bottom clutch cover and operating arm - are the 2 x nuts supposed to be on either side of the bracket down there? I have seen photos of other peoples RC with the nuts either side of the bracket - where mine are both at the front
of the bracket - if that makes sense? I have never had the cable off and are wondering if this is a factory error or not - Help please -

Both on the front side is proper, larger towards bracket.

sturge

I would agree with cjwell....any 'locknut' arrangement I have ever seen places TWO nuts against each other. The object is to torque each nut against the other which will prevent them from backing off.

Martin85

I guess is your clutch free play causing this problem,my Rc 2xxxx km mileage,and I realized the clutch free play sweet spot only at 1~1.5 mm...More then 1.5mm the gear will not free enough during apply clutch, less then 1mm will slip,if the free play is too much maybe only a inch in front of your finger,I can't imagine how long the clutch can survive

Boardinfourlife

Country flag

The two nuts should be on the right side.. if for whatever reason they had to nut it up either side chances are your clutch cable is stretched and worn and should be replaced.

B7ACKTHORN

Country flag
Clutch setting is a pretty knackered up topic these days. Considering your bike is new and not used and the related variables, 5k miles is too soon. Start off by making sure your clutch freeplay both at the lever and engine side is perfectly notched up. Little to too much freeplay can and will burn the clutch, especially considering the fact that your kid is a newbie and the variables for a newbie abusing a clutch is aplenty. Start off with the basics of clutch freeplay adjustment, clutch usage, and what not.