Comparisons between RC390 and Ninja 300

mikego_34

Hello all,

I've been looking to upgrade my ninja 300 to a slightly more speedy bike. I have been very happy with the ninja 300 but I am looking for just a little more spunk in terms of get up and go, but I am not worried at all about increasing top end speed. I don't really like the riding position on SS and feel like they are just much more bike than what I am looking for. For the reasons I've just mentioned I've been looking into purchasing an RC 390. I'd like to call upon the insight of those who have rode both the Ninja 300 and the RC 390. Is there any appreciable difference in acceleration? Any other thoughts on the performance of these two bikes are welcomed as well.

Thanks in advance,
Mike G.

ryandalling

I've noticed the biggest difference in weight and launch. The 390 has a better launch off the line and feels like it flicks back and forth easier. I don't know if that's weight or geometry, but it feels better to me.

Treachery

Country flag
If I assume that the riding position of the N300 is similar to the N250, you'll notice right away that the RC is more "committed" in terms of reach to the bars and feet position. The KTM OE saddle is...firm. The RC spins up much quicker. It also feels a good bit lighter. I've got a lot more miles on the RC than SWMBO's Ninjette, but those would be my simple observations.

diegs

I traded my Ninja 300 for the RC390. Haven't put that many miles on my RC390 yet, but it's a nice step up so far. Caveat: I've never ridden a "big" bike.

Pros:

- Noticeably lighter and easier to flick around. Just feels like a more "lightweight" bike, even though the Ninja isn't heavy.
- I like the seating position/ergos. It's not extreme, and I feel more connected and involved than I did on the Ninja, which was a bit more upright. The seat feels great to me (but I come from road biking and don't do long distance highway rides). I also find it more comfortable re: wind.
- The engine is more linear and engaging, though a little less smooth. The bike feels noticeably "quicker", but not necessarily much "faster"

Cons:

- The Ninja felt like it was built a little better. Fewer rattles, the twin was a little smoother, stuff like that. But on the other hand, the RC390 looks and feels "quirky", which I like.
- If you're bored with the power of your Ninja, I don't think the RC390 will satisfy you. You'd probably be happier with something like a SV650, Ninja 650, etc. It's quick and maneuverable, but not asphalt-melting.

Overall: I love this bike. I have a big smile every time I ride it. It solved all the little things I wish were a bit better on the Ninja: just a bit more personality, just a bit more power, just a bit more race-feeling, just a bit better handling. Some day I might want a faster bike, but for now I'd rather improve my own skills and I think this is the perfect bike to do it.

Worth the $$ (especially considering higher maintenance on the KTM)? It depends on how much "more" you want, in which areas, over your Ninja 300, in my opinion.