Considering...

Kootenanny

Hi, all. New here.

I'm considering an RC390 as my next purchase. I've been riding for a long time (hell, I was a riding instructor in the 80s) and I've always owned either standards or sportbikes (definitely not a cruiser guy). Current bikes are a 2003 Buell XB9R Firebolt and a Yamaha XT225 dual-sport.

I live in an area known for good backroads (it's a popular riding destination). I love the Buell--it's a fantastic bike for this area--but hey, it's over a decade old now and, with all the drama at Buell and now EBR, basic parts are getting harder to find. Currently, the bike is in the garage waiting for me to get off my ass and do some work on it, but...

Anyway, I'm debating another option. I've said for years that I value handling over raw horsepower (hey, I own a Buell), and when the RC390 came along was interested. I rode one at a KTM demo day 2 years ago (spring 2015), and loved it. However, that was one short ride under tightly controlled conditions; I've never really been able to let loose on one of these.

I guess my question for this forum is what you think of the RC390 for a rider like myself. Main use would be dayrides on local rural backroads in the mountans. I like to "carry" my speed through the corners, as opposed to "point and shoot" riding--I like to keep momentum flowing. On occasion, I like to take trips on the bike, ranging from a couple of days to several weeks (I did a wonderful 3-week trip from BC to Norcal and back, several years ago, on my Buell)--would the RC390 be capable of carrying some soft luggage for a longer trip like this? How does it do on larger, faster freeways (I do my best to avoid them, but sometimes you just can't)?

Any other things I should know about the little KTMs? BTW, I did ride the 390 Duke at the same demo event, but I found it felt too much like a hopped-up version of my XT225 dual-sport--I prefer more of a sportbike position on the backroads. (I assume these two bikes, much like Buell's Firebolts & Lightnings, are very similar mechanically but have a different "feel" due mostly to rider positioning.)

Anyway, what are your general impressions? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

emiller

Country flag
I took mine from Torrance to San Diego (120 miles), the bike behaves on the freeway I was doing from 75 to 85 mph most of the time and it averaged around 60 mpg. Keep in mind this bike have a 2.5 gallon tank and I don't think is optimal for long rides.

Riding experience I'm 6' 00" when I got there my neck was a little numb and my wife says the bike looks to small for me but overall it was a nice and pleasant ride.

New Buy

I too mostly ride the twisty back roads and normally just day trips. I am around 200 lbs in full riding gear. My experience with the bikes I have bought new over the past decade is that most of them were buy the bike, put in gas and ride. The RC390 will not be that experience if you are an experienced rider. You will quickly discover that you will need to upgrade the brake pads and think seriously about upgrading the suspension to accommodate someone over 125 lbs. Don't get me wrong, Riding the RC is worth it but it is not a bike that you just ride. You will want to do some upgrades almost as soon as you ride it a bit. At least the manual is easier to figure out than the one for my BMW.:mad: parillaguy

MrGrody

Short and quick

Bike is amazing on canyon roads. (I too like to carry speed as well)

Bike is terrible for long hauls. I think this cuz it's uncomfortable as all hell when your not flogging and killing it.

But I bought mine for canyon rides. Not long hauls or commuting.

I love it

Kootenanny

Thanks everyone for your comments. About what I expected--might need some component upgrades, good for canyon carving but not so great for long trips. However, if it's comfort that's at issue, keep in mind that I currently tour on a sportbike with a relatively tight cockpit--I'm more concerned about things like buzziness through the pegs & bars, and ability to run at speed for extended periods. I'm only 5'4" tall, and about 165 lb. On my Buell, I did install a Helibars riser and a touring seat--are either of these available aftermarket options for the RC?

cornerslider

Given your size/weight, you might like the RC390, even on longer rides???? One upgrade that is a MUST for anything longer than a 50 mile ride is the Power Parts seat.... I kept my factory seat for track riding ONLY (easier to move around on). I refer to the factory seat as the "Maxi-pad-of-tourcher"... Anything other than a track, the Power Parts seat is the ONLY option-

Kootenanny

Given your size/weight, you might like the RC390, even on longer rides???? One upgrade that is a MUST for anything longer than a 50 mile ride is the Power Parts seat.... I kept my factory seat for track riding ONLY (easier to move around on). I refer to the factory seat as the "Maxi-pad-of-tourcher"... Anything other than a track, the Power Parts seat is the ONLY option-
Ok...Power Parts. I'll look that up. I know that the touring seat that I put on my Buell--wide, flat, and hard--definitely made long rides much more do-able.

Rcdan

Sounds like we are similar in age and riding style. My previous bike was an 03 xb9r also. You will absolutely want to get the power parts seat or you will be miserable on long rides. Also the common mods, r6 shock pcv with airbox mod are night and day improvements that you will not regret doing.

Diploman

Both 390's, the RC and the Duke, attract a significant demographic of older, highly-experienced riders, most of whom have (or have had) other bigger, faster, heavier, more expensive bikes in their stable. On a fun-for-dollar basis, the 390's are very hard to beat. The lightweight agility, the ample power-to-weight ratio, and the almost endless possibilities to upgrade from an aftermarket overflowing with 390 parts make for a very entertaining bargain package. You simply have to recognize that the 390 is a budget bike, made in India and will require some fettling to upgrade (eg, front brake) and personalize to your taste. But either 390 variant is an outstanding value.