Correct Chain Tension and Suspension Travel... Experts please

g-force

Country flag
I want to Know how a tight chain and suspension travel interact. This was in reply to vinegar_bend asking about chain tension and wheel resistance. I searched and there are way more posts about cam-chains...
So I wanna know why the 'recommended' on the RC feels Tight.
Isn't one of the worst results of too-tight that the chain limits suspension travel: or suspension travel bangs on the chain...? I shudder to think what a bit of bounce at 130Kph does for Each case...
Wouldn't the correct way to check a chain be to use a track stand, a rider and a buddy to measure Sag vs chain tension. Or maybe; adjust it way beyond 'loose' and check sag; then again for suspension travel with another 30 pounds in a back pack...
I am also amazed how off-centre the rear sprocket must be as checking every 1/6 of a wheel rotation gets so many different measurements.
Another thought: Do these mighty bikes have enough instantaneous power to jerk the chain if it is too close to 'too loose' ? Or if you don't notice any surging a somewhat loose chain still not so bad ?? ( Surging: like a loose timing belt in a Honda Civic produces while coasting along over undulating pavement at 14Kph in 2nd gear )

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
If you have different chain tension amounts by turning the wheel, either your sprockets are oblong / egg shaped from being machined incorrectly, or your chain is worn and needs to be replaced. The chain SHOULD have the same amount of slack no matter where it is on the rotation of the wheel. Something's wrong!