Cycle-Ergo: How do you fit your bike?

Treachery

Country flag
Found this site via a discussion thread over on RevZilla. cycle-ergo.com You can call up the ergonomics of a number of different bikes, enter your height and inseam, and see what your positioning on the various bikes would be, including how tip-toed you might end up. I was curious to see how the RC would compare to the Daytona 675 I used to have. Look like I'll be bent forward less than on the Triumph, as well as closer to planted on the ground. Not as upright or as flat-footed as on SWMBO's Ninjette (no duh). Try it out!

kalleh

Note the several reviews talk about dragging foot-pegs quite early with stock rearsets - for the track you probably need to move them upwards quite a bit.

Treachery

Country flag
Yeah, I read that, and heard it several times in the various vids. Once I see if I get close with my weight on the bike, I'll see what the aftermarket (Arrow, Gilles, Attack, Woodcraft) has to offer.

Texas250

Too cool. Thanks. I did all 3 bikes I'm considering (RC390, R3, CBR500RA) and the bike I have now, CBR250RA, and a CBR600RR for comparison. Makes you realize how small my 250 is to the 500, and how close the RC is to a super sport, and how much leg room the RC has.

kalleh

Yeah, I read that, and heard it several times in the various vids. Once I see if I get close with my weight on the bike, I'll see what the aftermarket (Arrow, Gilles, Attack, Woodcraft) has to offer.

I'm pretty sure the Cup bike/kit comes with KTM powersports "race" rearsets...though they could just be rebranded stuff under the KTM PowerParts name.

motoarch

Probably not worth saying again until we know for sure but I don't believe for one second the cup bike will be a kit. Makes no sense. It clearly has completely different plastics, different rear sets, different forks, a sealed engine with reduced HP and a different exhaust.

Because of KTMs commitment to there race ready slogan and sealed motor my guess is to be truly a race bike it will also not have any unnecessary wiring for unneeded lights, horn and whatever other electronics in wont need. I'll bet it'll be similar to the Aprilia 250 in this regard; a 16 digit vin street legal bike and a 15 digit vig track only cup bike.

So at the very least to comply with race rules you'd need to prove you have a factory sealed motor. That in it self would make me think its not going to be a kit bike but a factory sold and ready bike.

Sorry I know I got a bit off topic but this 'kit' thing keeps coming up and seems so far fetched to me. I think for anyone not racing in the class the cup bike is specifically designed for its sort of silly to even worry about it. If your local amateur race org has a class the 390 would fit in a your probably better of prepping a street version anyway.

For example LRRS here in New England has a 300 class that allows up to 390cc's. They would not allow the cup version because this particular class is for street legal production bikes with limited modifications. Those mods are limited on particular bikes to make things more even. For example the RC may not be allowed only internals reworked on the forks where a ninja 250 may be allowed to have whole front end swap to get adjustable USD forks.

I could completely wrong of course; we are all just speculating at this point. We'll see.

EDIT: KTM & MotoAmerica to Bring RC390 Cup to US - Motorcycle USA

this article supports my theory, though there are articles that seem to to support the kit idea. so who knows

Last edited:

VAG944

Probably not worth saying again until we know for sure but I don't believe for one second the cup bike will be a kit. Makes no sense. It clearly has completely different plastics, different rear sets, different forks, a sealed engine with reduced HP and a different exhaust.

...so who knows

I thought the suspension was the same just with adjustable internals? I also thought I read the hp was done with a throttle stop not any internal changes? As far as plastics, rear sets and exhaust et al. as long as they are available through power parts I'll be happy. I'm far from a "cup bike" for development riders so if there is a "factory race bike" I just want some of the parts to make it "better" for me.

kalleh

Because of KTMs commitment to there race ready slogan and sealed motor my guess is to be truly a race bike it will also not have any unnecessary wiring for unneeded lights, horn and whatever other electronics in wont need. I'll bet it'll be similar to the Aprilia 250 in this regard; a 16 digit vin street legal bike and a 15 digit vig track only cup bike.

So at the very least to comply with race rules you'd need to prove you have a factory sealed motor. That in it self would make me think its not going to be a kit bike but a factory sold and ready bike.

Sorry I know I got a bit off topic but this 'kit' thing keeps coming up and seems so far fetched to me. I think for anyone not racing in the class the cup bike is specifically designed for its sort of silly to even worry about it. If your local amateur race org has a class the 390 would fit in a your probably better of prepping a street version anyway.

For example LRRS here in New England has a 300 class that allows up to 390cc's. They would not allow the cup version because this particular class is for street legal production bikes with limited modifications. Those mods are limited on particular bikes to make things more even. For example the RC may not be allowed only internals reworked on the forks where a ninja 250 may be allowed to have whole front end swap to get adjustable USD forks.

I could completely wrong of course; we are all just speculating at this point. We'll see.

EDIT: KTM & MotoAmerica to Bring RC390 Cup to US - Motorcycle USA

this article supports my theory, though there are articles that seem to to support the kit idea. so who knows

I think it makes a lot of sense from a manufacturing perspective. Changing a production line for a a handful of bikes is very expensive - probably much cheaper to pick bikes off the end of the regular assembly line , and then provide a kit for them. Kit could be factory installed though I guess.

motoarch

I thought the suspension was the same just with adjustable internals? I also thought I read the hp was done with a throttle stop not any internal changes? As far as plastics, rear sets and exhaust et al. as long as they are available through power parts I'll be happy. I'm far from a "cup bike" for development riders so if there is a "factory race bike" I just want some of the parts to make it "better" for me.

My guess (and I don't know enough to make this guess) is the throttle stop will be integrated into the throttle body assembly. As for the suspension; I don't think you can add adjusters to non-adjustable forks. You can re-valve them or re-spring them or put different weight oil in them. I think to make them adjustable though you have to swap them with different forks.
These with all the other things I mentioned to me seem like way too much to do for a spec class racer that seems to be a class designed by the manufacturer with the race org. It make way more sense to just make the bike to spec from the factory.
I do hope they have the option to buy racing parts for the bike for sure. especially if I turn it into a track only bike. Better suspension, and adjustable ergo(rear-sets,clip-ons) would defiantly be nice.

I seem to be the only person that thinks this way so I'm probably wrong and will look like a fool for it later on. Wouldn't be the first though. Either way when we get to Palmer you can show me the fast way around the track :D cause I could always use a lesson.

guzz46

I wouldn't get the KTM powerpart rearsets, I went into my dealer the other day to ask about an adjustable folding brake lever, and the official KTM lever costs $268 US dollars, so I went on ebay and brought an adjustable folding brake and clutch lever set for $36 US dollars, plus $6 for shipping.
If that's how much they want for a brake lever imagine how much their rearsets would cost!

Also it would appear that 21'7 is the tallest you can be to ride the RC, and 3'11 is the shortest, just look at him stretching for the bars, pretty funny.

Last edited:

kalleh

I wouldn't get the KTM powerpart rearsets, I went into my dealer the other day to ask about an adjustable folding brake lever, and the official KTM lever costs $268 US dollars, so I went on ebay and brought an adjustable folding brake and clutch lever set for $36 US dollars, plus $6 for shipping.
If that's how much they want for a brake lever imagine how much their rearsets would cost!

Also it would appear that 21'7 is the tallest you can be to ride the RC, and 3'11 is the shortest, just look at him stretching for the bars, pretty funny.

That said, be careful with cheap eBay stuff - on the the Triumph forum I am a member of there has been reports of cheap brake levers failing....not something you'd want to experience.

VAG944

Ummm........they could very well be worse than the current levers and that's really scary!

I'd rather pay the 10Xs the price and know they are quality and that those little bolts wont break, rust, strip and leave me lever-less.

guzz46

They could be, but then again more expensive levers could just be rebranded cheap levers, who knows, they didn't cost much so if I decide not to use them then I won't be losing much either.

motoarch

Ummm........they could very well be worse than the current levers and that's really scary!

I'd rather pay the 10Xs the price and know they are quality and that those little bolts wont break, rust, strip and leave me lever-less.

They could be, but then again more expensive levers could just be rebranded cheap levers, who knows, they didn't cost much so if I decide not to use them then I won't be losing much either.

Im on board with both of you. I think more often then not some of the cheap knock offs are manufactured in the same factory and just re-branded. But Id still rather trust putting the real deal on a bike I love or care about.

On my Suzuki track bike I'm only picky about parts I cant afford to have fail at speed but everything else can be cheap. For my MV Agusta I'll pay top dollar for anything I replace or I don't replace it at all.

I think you both make good points.

ToraTora

Country flag
I meant to post this earlier about this site--if you load up multiple bikes your scroll wheel will modulate between them so that you can see visually the two bikes overlaid at the same time.

As to the Cups being made available as kits--it could end up being both. The rep I spoke with in November told me that they would be add on kits. Cagiva sold their bits as add ons, and Aprilia sold the 250 as a cup bike. It really could go either way.