Daytona Gearing

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
What mods do you have? Basically, you would want the tallest gearing you could reasonably pull. A 40hp, 42hp, 45hp, and 50hp bike would use VERY different gearing. What are you running now for gearing? Can you pull redline in top gear with your tallest gearing choice currently?

I created a spreadsheet that shows gearing choices, chain length, and speed in top gear, which can be viewed at:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1T42Kjs53Xbad4d_krrIw5OPAEve9NntuLEwNRPkrnOY

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Cheers for that Matt.
You betcha! After so many guys asking me gearing questions and chain length questions and top speed questions for different RPM limits and and and and... I finally just made the spreadsheet! LOL

"What sized chain do I ne"
"Look at the spreadsheet."
"Yeah, but if I'm running a 16T fron"
"Look. At. The. Spreadsheet."
"OK, but if I switch from my current 45T rear spro"
"Look. At. The. SPREADSHEET!"

Only people who don't know me well think I'm nice. My BEST friends call me as asshole! LOL

KTMasean

Country flag
Great job on the excel sheet.
Self-knowledge is King ;)
So many returning questions on other KTM 390 forums as well and no matter how often you advise them to read their manual or use the search on the forum the same questions keep coming.
Guess this is the joy of being an admin/moderator of a forum, page or in the position you are in.
Great setup you've got there, too bad it's so far away from where I live/ride.
Keep up the good work :)

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Great job on the excel sheet.
Self-knowledge is King ;)
So many returning questions on other KTM 390 forums as well and no matter how often you advise them to read their manual or use the search on the forum the same questions keep coming.
Guess this is the joy of being an admin/moderator of a forum, page or in the position you are in.
Great setup you've got there, too bad it's so far away from where I live/ride.
Keep up the good work :)
Thank you sir! :) I did try to put a lot of work into it to answer questions and help folks figure out what they have for options. The only real complaint I ever got was that it was "too American" and I needed to provide metric info as well. {sigh} Fine! So I added the KPH numbers for those who didn't want to do the "x 1.6" math on their side. Of course, I say that while also being irked to the point of wanting to pull my hair out whenever I look at the instrument panel and it's telling me what my miles per liters of fuel is. I've brought it up with the project manager at KTM, and he said he'd try to do something about that to get it showing gallons for the US bikes. I get it. We use a system the rest of the world makes fun of. Whatever. Look. I machine in metric on my machining center. but for the life of me no matter how many times I do the math I have NO effing idea intuitively what 0.1mm is. Yet at the same time I at my very core KNOW what 0.001" is! I think in thousandths of an inch. I think in pounds. I think in gallons. Any time somebody asks me what spring they need, I ask them their weight in full gear in pounds, and they tell me how many fscking stone they weigh... it takes EVERYTHING in me to not just hit the delete button! LOL Of course I also write anybody off the moment I hear them pronounce "idea" with a R at the end. Personal quirks are... fun.

KTMasean

Country flag
Fully understand Matt.
This being an International forum still can't really comply with Imperial/American measuring standards anymore.
You, Americans have opted to stay with the Imperial system which is fine to me, still (as also on your website) if it concerns an International audience I think (as you do commercially) you AT LEAST need to mention the Metric figures as well.
When you're educated in pounds (lb ha ha ha) inches, gallons etc you will obviously be thinking that way which is fine, at the same time anyone else (maybe beside the Brits) is living Metrics.
I for one (for the same reasons you live Imperial) do everything in Metric as this is how I have been educated (also technically).
I have worked for the FIAT and before Lancia factories, Broomware, Reavell, Hydrovane, Domnic Hunter and other technical companies/Industry and never dealt with Imperial (except in my hobby where I shared a garage with a buddy driving classic British cars).
Still, if I could get a gallon of petrol (not gas) for the price of a litre I'd be happy ;)

Last edited:

kostean

Country flag
Instead of chain gearing, you would like to speak about the 6th gear replacement at the gearbox for taller final gearing. At least on tracks with long straights the gearing normally has to be chosen based at the rpm limit on straights, which usually means a loss at acceleration on places where the thumper torque could be used for takeovers. Long straights usually mean just to be entering the breaking zone fast enough not to allow Yamahas to realize their top speed advantage.