DCMoney's Throttle Experimentation

DCMoney

Country flag
Been experimenting with different throttle housing trying to find a good replacement since I am getting rid of the oem housing.

This is also being tested on a 390 with clipons not the stock bar location.

So far I've tried 3 different housings.

OEM RC8

Motion Pro Universal Amazon.com: Motion Pro Push/Pull Throttle - Black 01-0058: Automotive

51R-vH21vnL._SL1486_.jpg

China Universal

7 8" Black Universal Motorcycle Aluminium Throttle Handlebar Lever Control Rcfo | eBay

$_12.JPG

And OEM with different throttles

The RC8 housing I have was bought off eBay and came with the throttle, it’s pretty important to buy the housing with a throttle as it seems the RC8 throttle is very unique as it has a very thin cam profile. None of my other throttles fit inside the housing (R6, GSXR, Triumph 675 and 1050). OEM throttles for the RC8 are not cheap.

The RC8 throttle gave a much quicker to WOT turn than OEM. Also there was no clearance issue with the RC8 assembly as it's pretty low profile. Down side is it's not the easiest or cheapest to find, limited on ebay and $75+ from dealer. BUT it's the easiest and quickest throttle to install.

The China universal one so far is my favorite, it provides an extremely quick throw to WOT, has the ability to adjust how much slack there is before opening, (this can be done on the factory cable too, but it’s a nice feature to have on the housing) and its dirt cheap! Biggest issue is how large the housing is. I had to move the routing location of the throttle cable so it would clear the right side fairing. Moving the cable did not affect full lock left or right. Really just doesn't look as good.

[video=youtube;LozFUfAAlkY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LozFUfAAlkY[/video]

The motion pro is extremely inexpensive. If you read the reviews they talk about it being unrefined and it’s mostly true, it’s a little rough, has good snap back but as far as a fast throttle, it is not, it’s the same if not worse than OEM. I tried the other throttles I had laying around and none of them fit. I haven't looked into why they didn't fit but will when I have time.

The OEM housing I tried a few different throttles I had laying around to see if any gave a faster WOT turn, I ended up running my triumph 1050 throttle on there as it seemed to have a slightly faster turn (no evidence other than feel). I also tried modifying my 025 cam (fastest turn) I had laying around for my G2 throttles. Didn’t work and didn't want to spend too much time on something I wasn't going to use anyway.

Looks like some Honda throttle housings will work as well. Or any housing that are the thread in cable styles. The Honda housing seems to be more low profile over the cheap china ones and I would think would be cheaper since there are more of them and have a more universal throttle selection available.

Example `02 F4i that should work.

2002 Honda CBR600 F4 F4i CBR600F4 Throttle Assembly w Cables | eBay

Another member is running a Euro Racing housing that has different size cams, says it's tight but clears.

I really wanted a Motion Pro Revolver kit but MP said at this time they do not have any revolver kits for single cable applications and do not plan on making one.

Hope this is able to help others, will update with pictures and videos when I get around to it. Shoutout to my intern for all the help!

ASM

just some chinese shortys.

PM incoming. Don't wanna threadjack.

Don't want to stray away from the topic of this thread, however, a quick warning. Be careful with cheap levers from eBay (or wherever they come from). I have heard of some simply breaking in half when you need them most. I usually advise staying away from them as their QA usually isn't on par...

ToraTora

Country flag
Domination

Motion Pro makes a great throttle though, the Vortex. I have it on my moped. :D
01-0054.jpg
But the color is ugly, so expect to paint it. :p

The throttle that I really like is the one that you'll find on the Moto3/125GP bikes The Domino 2311.03-02. I run these on my Derbis--some with the G2 cams (two stroke cams of course because the Derbis are strokers). The angle has a sealed bearing. They make a slightly less expensive one with a nylon bearing. These throttles feel great. They also show up as OEM parts on the KTM moto crossers. So if you wanted you could order one from KTM, but the Treats price is really nice. :)
domino-throttle-2311.03-02-2.jpg
domino-throttle-2311.03-02-4T.jpg

DCMoney

Country flag
Motion Pro makes a great throttle though, the Vortex. I have it on my moped. :D
But the color is ugly, so expect to paint it. :p

The throttle that I really like is the one that you'll find on the Moto3/125GP bikes The Domino 2311.03-02. I run these on my Derbis--some with the G2 cams (two stroke cams of course because the Derbis are strokers). The angle has a sealed bearing. They make a slightly less expensive one with a nylon bearing. These throttles feel great. They also show up as OEM parts on the KTM moto crossers. So if you wanted you could order one from KTM, but the Treats price is really nice. :)

Ive never used that style, how did you route the cable? Initial thoughts make me think the 90 degree fittings would cause interference. Do you have video of it in action?

EDIT:

Just bought one of the motion pros to test.

Last edited:
Be careful with cheap levers from eBay (or wherever they come from). I have heard of some simply breaking in half when you need them most. I usually advise staying away from them as their QA usually isn't on par...

If MotoZen were to make levers for the RC390 I would buy them instantly. Designed in Atlanta but Chinese made - very high quality $75 a side. Crash tested repeatedly by my girls during endurance events.

ToraTora

Country flag
Ive never used that style, how did you route the cable? Initial thoughts make me think the 90 degree fittings would cause interference. Do you have video of it in action?

If you look at the other throttles they have a j piece of pipe through which the cable travels. With these throttles the cable travels around a wheel, which has less friction. :)

ToraTora

Country flag
Leverage

If MotoZen were to make levers for the RC390 I would buy them instantly. Designed in Atlanta but Chinese made - very high quality $75 a side. Crash tested repeatedly by my girls during endurance events.

I've messed around with some different levers. I found ASV to be decent. I don't know if they make them for the RC--because I no longer go that way.

04225c6ba4.jpg

What I've found preferable is to just put an RCS15, or 16 on the right hand side, and use the same clutch lever as the Moto3/125GP bikes use--which is made by Domino. It's not cheap, and it just looks like a stock lever, but it works way better.

BREM15RCS_lg.jpg

domino-lever-2378.04-2.jpg

DCMoney

Country flag
If you look at the other throttles they have a j piece of pipe through which the cable travels. With these throttles the cable travels around a wheel, which has less friction. :)

I'm talking about the throttle cable housing that bolts to the bottom of the throttle assembly. The "j piece" aka "elbow" is apart of the OEM throttle cable and I really don't want to find a new cable at this time.

ToraTora

Country flag
M8 Adjuster

Opps, sorry I misunderstood.

The Vortex doesn't come with a fitting there like the Dominos. The reason being is that Motion Pro makes that part of the cable that they sell to go with the throttle. They will also make a custom cable for your application. Treats does sell a cable adjuster that works with other cables. Personally though, I just prefer the Domino throttles. Yes they are more expensive, but they work really well. That said the Vortex, which I bought before I found out about the Dominos, that I have on the moped works great--or at least well enough that I haven't felt the need to replace it with a Domino.

vortex-throttle-cable-2.jpg

cable-adjuster-gold-m8-2.jpg

ToraTora

Country flag
Oh--I see what's going on. You are trying to use the elbow that comes with the stock cable. Yeah that wont work at all. These throttles incorporate the 90° bend, and therefore have no need of the elbow. You can remove the elbow from the stock cable (a dremel works well for this), or just get another cable.

SPG

For what it's worth, the stock Ninja 250 throttle tube fits in the stock RC housing, rattles on the bar a lot less, and reaches WOT a bit faster. I have replaced it with the RC8 housing, but I like the feel of the Ninjette tube better.
-Sean

green_bread

Country flag
For what it's worth, the stock Ninja 250 throttle tube fits in the stock RC housing, rattles on the bar a lot less, and reaches WOT a bit faster. I have replaced it with the RC8 housing, but I like the feel of the Ninjette tube better.
-Sean

Don't forget to do the zip tie mod on it, to. :)

green_bread

Country flag
I tried that one my 250 and wasnt that impressed with the results. Plus don't like the fact that if the glue fails, now there's something in there to wedge the throttle cable, which for me would happen when I was at wide open throttle and now it wont close...

This. My reply was just joking. :)