Decat of the stock exhaust

Old3

Country flag
Anyone done it? Tips! Tricks? Advice? Results?

ive done a bunch of KTM 950s that were pretty easy to remove. This I guess will require cutting.

Thanks.

A1VW2NV

Country flag
I've done it and commented here previously. It is a tedious task separating the two halves. If you are interested in buying mine, pm me.
398.jpg
403.jpg404.jpg406.jpg408.jpg409.jpg411.jpg

Old3

Country flag
Can you just tell me where the actual cat honeycomb is within the piping?

Is is there a dead end in the primary inlet at the bottom? Looking for a shorter path to the cat rather than splitting it all apart.

thanks.

Ryanthegreat1

Fascinating every time I see the stock muffler cut open.

You could probably do the ol smashy smashy through the muffler inlet but you will probably end of with a metric ton of catalyst rattling around in the bottom of the muffler.

Maybe a hole saw about in the middle of the bottom of the can would give enough access then just weld the piece back in? At least no one will ever see it.

Old3

Country flag
Can you actually see the cat thru the inlet?

On on the ktm 950/990 they were a straight shot into the cat and with a few old fiat blade wood drill bits and chisel and hammer you could bust them apart and extract it with needle noise pliers by twisting it. It was an hour per can process but it worked. They went from thermo nuke temps to just normal hot. A garden hose washed most if the debris out. Lol.

Thanks.

A1VW2NV

Country flag
I've circled the cat in the pic below. After dissecting the muffler, I don't see any easy way to cut out the cat itself. Yes, you could cut a "window" in the side and try and extract the cat but there is a lot going on inside the can. It is not a straight thru style muffler.
412.jpg

Old3

Country flag
Ah, ok. Thank you. Looks like a pita to get to for sure. Does that pipe have a cap on it at the bottom? It doesn't flow thru to the lower chamber, right?

Old3

Country flag
I was actually more interested in the heat at the rear shock. On my first ride, 2200 miles, I noticed the rear shock damping just go away. I'm guessing it was severely heated by the cat. In the near future I plan on a shock upgrade but don't want to subject that to extreme heat either.

Has anyone measured the temps of the muffler or shock after the bike is fully heat soaked?

Ryanthegreat1

Well the stock shock does not offer much dampening to begin with so there is that.

As long as you keep the shock below 400F you should have no issues. At least according to the trophy truck guys.

kcramp

The stock exhaust is not the limiting factor. I've made 44 plus hp on stock exhaust.... Best bang for buck is a K&N filter, lid mod, and PCV. That makes way more gains then just an exhaust swap. Yes the stock exhaust is very heavy. If you are looking for performance cheaply start with the above items.

http://www.rc390-forum.com/forum/ktm-performance/1169-engine-build-stock-hard-dobrs-rc.html

Is that something that we can simply purchase from you and map on, or is it typically bike specific?

SPG

You can decat the exhaust by cutting through 3 layers of steel on the bottom with a hole saw. Then you gut the cat with a deep holesaw/punch, etc.

As for shock damping, there is no compression damping to speak of. A replacement or revalve of the stock shock will transform the bike, even with the stock exhaust.

-Sean

Aaron

You can decat the exhaust by cutting through 3 layers of steel on the bottom with a hole saw. Then you gut the cat with a deep holesaw/punch, etc.

As for shock damping, there is no compression damping to speak of. A replacement or revalve of the stock shock will transform the bike, even with the stock exhaust.

-Sean
with decating the stock exhaust how does it sound now? is it more throatier?