Drops of oil coming from breather hose

SWdragon

Country flag
I noticed after my last ride that I had a couple of drops of oil on the clamp that holds the breather hose on the air box that comes from the valve cover. The hose attaches to what appears to be a small box attached next to and part of air box. Any ideas on a fix? This is the only area that shows any signs of leak, nothing on engine or valve cover gasket, anywhere.

Diploman

You might want to take off the hose at the air box end, smear a little silicone sealer or similar product on the nipple to seal the junction, then refit the hose.

SWdragon

Country flag
Thanks for replies, I did take it apart and cleaned hose then replaced finger type clamps with real hose clamps. The air filter is a K&N with the air box mod. Only oil near air filter was extra air filter oil (red oil) under it, in a small poodle. I cleaned it up also, K&N real oil those air filters!

Bagwell

Country flag
Any chance you may have overfilled the crankcase with oil at your last oil change? These bikes really want the oil level to be checked and adjusted only after the bike is properly warmed up. It needs to be very warmed up motor. Just sayin...

SWdragon

Country flag
Good advice, but I follow the oil change, filling and checking procedures very carefully. Oil level is correct.

SWdragon

Country flag
Bagwell,
You were right, today I changed the oil/filters and measured what drained out, 1.8 liters so it was overfilled a little. Hopefully that cures the oil from coming out of the breather. Only occurred when I ran it at max rpm's.

Gents,
I just noticed the same issue with my bike. Is the consensus still that this isn't a problem? Just curious, why would 10ml of extra oil cause this issue?

thanks

SWdragon

Country flag
Just a follow-up. I currently have my fuel tank off and took off the air box to see if I can find why oil is leaking slowly from breather tubes. I discovered that the box that the breather tube goes into and another tube exits to crankcase is cracked (yes, I've seen other posts on this). Maybe that is my very slow, few drops a ride, leak. I have sealed it up and will see if that cures the problem. It looks to me that this box although attached to air box doesn't appear to be open to air intake stream.

B7ACKTHORN

Country flag
So, does this valve cover breather suck in air to compensate for the blow-by from the rings and helps the engine breather or this valve cover breather vents the valve train pressure to the airbox, I am confused now.