Duke 390/RC 390 Platform EV conversion

drlambda

Country flag
Hey Everyone!

I'm working on a project myself. Trying to use the Duke/RC 390 platform for an EV. I will be using most of the mechanical components from the KTM bike on a custom trellis frame. I'm trying to get the Duke's ABS and dash to work with the EV bike. I hope there won't be an issue with the ABS and speed sensor as I will be using the KTM wheels and sensor rings. But will the speedo on the dash work without the engine and it's electronics?

Also, does anyone have the workshop service manual for the 2018 Duke/RC 390?

Any help would be much appreciated!

kevinp

Country flag
Hi,

I don’t have much experience in this area but I work for a OEM in construction equipment where we retrofitted ev component with existing machine level components. So one thing to keep in mind is some electrical components like motor, inverter, BMS, battery, etc may all be working on CAN protocol. So your software may need some tuning. Also I’m not sure about this but I believe from 2017 or so ktm has switched the communication between ABS, Cluster and engine management systems to CAN. So it maybe possible but there would be a lot of work to be done. Both software and hardware end. Again this depends on what voltage you will be running on. There are plenty of off the market options that require less effort to get then to work but the power and torque maybe not enough for your application.