cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Just finished this 'light' build. Same bike in both graphs. Bike configuration is; stock exhaust, K&N filter, open lid, with a PCV. The blue curves are the stock engine, with before mentioned external mods, tuned. The green curves are with thin gaskets installed, head porting, valve touch up, mechanical timing chain tensioner, NGK spark plug, and a re-tune with PCV (yes,still stock exhaust). The head was not ''milled''. Both graphs are on same 93 octane pump gas. The gains are strictly from said build mods, no foolery, only head and cylinder were off. Very happy with results using mostly stock parts. Bang for buck this makes a GREAT street engine. I think member dobr will be very pleased with the power plant. Thanks for letting me share the data with other members. I will be offering a head service in future post regarding the "engine kit" parts and prices. Let me know your thoughts on this build and or questions. On a semi budget oriented build I don't think you can beat this combo. With a proper aftermarket exhaust system (Akra/Arrow/Yosh) I would suspect to see some more gains too. How much? Maybe an added hp peak and some more front side... This has added 4 hp/10% peak from box stock! PCV, K&N filter, lid mod, set of thin gaskets, mech tensioner, NGK plug, and head work = killer set up at a very affordable price. Roughly the same price as a full exhaust system :)

cdbuild.jpg

dobr

Hell yeah! Can't wait to get this out on the street. Huge thanks to Chad and Commonwealth for putting up with me. I cannot recommend them highly enough for work on your bikes. I think this will make my RC much more enjoyable on the street. I'm looking forward to all that extra torque for the twisties. For what I've spent I can't think of a better way to get these kind of improvements.

Muckabucka

Country flag
Awesome write up Chad. Show's what gains can be had by proper tuning. Not just bolting on parts. That's pretty significant.

ASM

And this - Ladies and Gentlemen - is why you talk to Chad for your RC 390 needs...performance or non-performance...he pretty much knows them better than KTM by now...

Great work Chad!

Diploman

Chad, Now that the racers are taken care of with your full-Monty engine mod, I'm glad you are turning some attention to street riders. This looks like a winning mod that won't break the bank! My Duke is going to enjoy it!

octaneguy

So with these mods peaking at 45hp and the engine performance kit at 49hp, does it make sense to do the mods mentioned here as an interim power upgrade, then later do the engine performance kit? And if so, for $1600 (minus PCV & K&N) or so, we'd be looking at another 4hp from the existing 45 or could it go higher? I'm really intrigued by what another 10hp over stock will feel like in performance, must feel pretty damn good. From what I can tell, this put's the 390 engine on par with 500cc engine hp.

Chuditch

Hey Chad, I was picking through your posts and found this one. Any chance of you having a similar map for the 17-18 model RC?

Thanks.