Engine oil level queries

rudra2k14

My bike was totally off for two days then today i checked the engine oil didn’t showed at bike’s straight position i.e i had to tilt it a lil bit in the right side to see the oil. Then i rode the bike for 2km after that i turned it off for 30-45min then saw the oil level is perfect in straight position.

Is it normal that the screen is not showing the engine oil in straight position of the bike if it’s cold for 2-3 days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Falkon45

Country flag
You have to warm the bike up for the oil level to show. Don't worry. It's normal. Even says so in the owner's manual. You don't have to ride it. Just start it, and let it come up to Temp. After that, turn it off, stand it up straight, and check the oil level.

rudra2k14

You have to warm the bike up for the oil level to show. Don't worry. It's normal. Even says so in the owner's manual. You don't have to ride it. Just start it, and let it come up to Temp. After that, turn it off, stand it up straight, and check the oil level.

d4d3eda40059383dd020b58053c22bd4.jpg

Is the level seems fine? after totally cold for 4hours.

Last edited:

Falkon45

Country flag
Yep. My 2017 does it, too. Nothing at all in the sight glass until it warms up. Again, it's in your owner's manual.

Falkon45

Country flag
Should I have to wait till the radiator fan turns on to check the engine oil?

At least let the temp come up to half way. I normally wait until the fan comes on if I'm not in a rush. If in a hurry, 1/4 to half on the temp will give you something.

NickNZ

I don't know this as a fact, but given the two oil drain plugs and the strange oil level behaviour my guess is that this engine has a semi dry sump and two-rotor oil pump. This would scavenge oil from the sump and return it to the reservoir ( gearbox) when running. When standing, oil can migrate back into the sump so the level slowly drops. Someone will know for sure.