engine swap

Drumnath

Just wondering if possible at all if the duke 690 engine would fit into the rc 390 frame i know you have alot of other variables aswell

psych0hans

Country flag
With enough time and money, anything is possible. Good luck! Post pics!!!

P.s. I believe a company makes. Kit to covert a 690 into a sport bike. They call it the 690 LC4 kit or something similar. Google it.

Drumnath

Yer just seeing if it possiable at all the motor would have to be similier dimensions to aviod having to modify the frame it wont be an easy thing

psych0hans

Country flag
Just for reference, this guy put an RD350 motor in an RC390 frame. The whole bike is custom, but you can get an idea of what's possible. The only thing that matters is how much money and time you can throw at it... Good Luck and post pics if you do it... :D
2015-08-06 22.48.03.jpg

A1VW2NV

Country flag
Just for reference, this guy put an RD350 motor in an RC390 frame. The whole bike is custom, but you can get an idea of what's possible. The only thing that matters is how much money and time you can throw at it... Good Luck and post pics if you do it... :D
View attachment 1575

I am a HUGE 2stroke fan and this would be a fun bike! Also, you can get a built banshee motor for a decent amount of coin!

HardRacing

Supporting Vendor
Country flag
Just for reference, this guy put an RD350 motor in an RC390 frame. The whole bike is custom, but you can get an idea of what's possible. The only thing that matters is how much money and time you can throw at it....

100% Agree.
Skies the limit...... if you have the budget.

Treachery

Country flag
Cool, but I'm with Ryan. Unless you had two basket cases that you wanted to combine, I'd rather have the two original bikes.

psych0hans

Country flag
It's a pet dream of mine to stuff a 650 motor into a 300... Lol but I neither have the time or money or the technical know how to do it...

emeglasson

I looked into that 690R supermono by Mototech. I happen to have a 2010 690 Duke sitting next to my 390. When I realized they weigh about the same, have very similar geometry and suspension travel it got me to wondering. Same weight, but with 75 horsepower...Yes please!! Unfortunately, Mototech says they are no longer selling that kit. I know three people that would buy the kit if it were available. I''m wondering how many buyers it would take to get it back into production. Or how about a version that fits the current 690? The Mototech bike would be about the ultimate track bike, in my mind.

psych0hans

Country flag
I looked into that 690R supermono by Mototech. I happen to have a 2010 690 Duke sitting next to my 390. When I realized they weigh about the same, have very similar geometry and suspension travel it got me to wondering. Same weight, but with 75 horsepower...Yes please!! Unfortunately, Mototech says they are no longer selling that kit. I know three people that would buy the kit if it were available. I''m wondering how many buyers it would take to get it back into production. Or how about a version that fits the current 690? The Mototech bike would be about the ultimate track bike, in my mind.

Honestly, there are many ways to go about this, the simplest would be to stick on some clipons below the triple and some rearsets and you're good to go. If you want bodywork, look for something that you think might fit and then make it. Would definitely involve a lot of custom bits and heap loads of ingenuity, but it might just work. Also it would be much easier if it was just a track bike, coz then you don't need to worry about lights and stuff...

Have a look at the two attached pics, if that bike can get a full fairing, I don't see why a KTM690 can't...

Yes, there's a Harley somewhere under there, XR1200 to be exact.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 305
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 785
Last edited:

emeglasson

Unfortunately, it's not actually that easy. You cant add clipons without replacing the tank. They hit, pretty severely. Replacing the tank on that bike and doing it with something that even remotely fits or has lines that 'flow' is the big challenge. That 690R kit solved the problem by relocating the tank under the seat, and making a narrower 'tank' which is basically just a large air box.

Ryanthegreat1

I thought the reason the 450 MX bikes converted over to supersport trim were not successful because the rear geometry was all wrong once you lowered the front end 6" with a street front end. The super single 450 class.

Not sure that a 690 would be any different in the geometry department. Still taking a fork with 12" of travel and replacing it with a fork that has 4" of travel and is a lot shorter.

psych0hans

Country flag
I thought the reason the 450 MX bikes converted over to supersport trim were not successful because the rear geometry was all wrong once you lowered the front end 6" with a street front end. The super single 450 class.

Not sure that a 690 would be any different in the geometry department. Still taking a fork with 12" of travel and replacing it with a fork that has 4" of travel and is a lot shorter.

Duke 690... It's in the ball park, definitely not 12" :p
Front Suspension
48 mm WP-USD
Front Wheel Travel140 mm / 5.5 in
Rear Suspension
WP-Monoshock with Pro-Lever linkage,
Rear Wheel Travel140 mm / 5.5 in

psych0hans

Country flag
Unfortunately, it's not actually that easy. You cant add clipons without replacing the tank. They hit, pretty severely. Replacing the tank on that bike and doing it with something that even remotely fits or has lines that 'flow' is the big challenge. That 690R kit solved the problem by relocating the tank under the seat, and making a narrower 'tank' which is basically just a large air box.

That is definitely unfortunate... No chance of using clipons with risers? Anyways, my point was exactly this. Time and money, it makes pretty much anything possible(almost).