Fault codes P0134 & P0117

skidrc

Hi folks, newbie to the forum & RCs, hoping to share & gain information. Probably will be asking more questions than answering, especially at the start here...

My first question is about two fault codes my bike has thrown. No CEL or blink codes, just the codes when read with the Torque OBD2 reader & K-line-to-OBD2 adapter. The bike is a 2015 RC 390 and is unmodified (the ONLY exception a DNA air filter).

First one is P0117 - Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Low Input. The temp display on the dash works fine as far as I can tell, i.e. it's low when cold, normally sits in the middle when hot, AND the fan does come on when required (you can hear it).

Second one is P0134 - O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 1 Sensor 1). As far as I can tell the bike is running & idling fine, but as it's a new bike to me I have no basis for comparison.

Note that these codes are what the Torque reader calls "grey" codes, and gives the accompanying text along the lines of "These codes cannot be cleared by the Torque reader, but may be self-reset by the ECU after N cycles without a recurring problem". There was previously a "clearable" fault code (think it was again a P0134 but foolishly didn't note it properly, just cleared it). However, it hasn't returned - dunno if it would or not, given the "permanent" ones.

So, would really appreciate any pointers as to where to start looking. Given the price of O2 sensors especially, I'd rather not just throw parts at this...

skidrc

OK, an update. After a few cycles, the P0134 code has cleared. I am guessing it's a "stored" fault code that needed the ECU cycled a few times (as per comment above) before it went away. Why it was there, don't know. Total guess: before I bought the bike, it had been sitting a few years (yes, that is unusual but t'was so) and perhaps there was some sort of corrosion on the O2 sensor that needed a few runs to burn off? Dunno.

The P0117 code is still there - I'll advise if it also eventually "heals".

skidrc

...and a (hopefully) final update to this: the P0117 code also cleared. So it would appear it was also a code that self-resets after a few cycles. Dunno for sure, happy to have a clear ECU. Not sure how long ago it cleared either - had not had the Torque reader on the bike for a while.