Finally pulled the trigger

ktmnoel

Country flag
I finally pulled the trigger on a '16 cup version. I can't wait to hit the track. This is a great addition to my other KTMs.

Looking for some advice on "must haves" for the bike. I'm 200lbs so any performance modifications would be awesome.

acruhl

Country flag
It's almost certainly not sprung for you. I've ridden that bike (it's in my profile pic) and it's way better than a normal one but undersprung. I'm 220. My local Ohlins guys said they were wary of WP because they don't have much info on them. You might find the same thing. Hopefully you can find someone who can set it up for you. Other than that, not a lot. Gearing maybe depending on your track. Use 110/70 and 140/70 race tires. I'm using Pirelli SC1 DOT race tires, they work pretty good.

ktmnoel

Country flag
I'm good friends with the local Ohlins dealer. He has sponsored my offroad racing career for years. I'll have him go through it. Thanks for the tire suggestion.

How do you determine what gearing to use?

It's almost certainly not sprung for you. I've ridden that bike (it's in my profile pic) and it's way better than a normal one but undersprung. I'm 220. My local Ohlins guys said they were wary of WP because they don't have much info on them. You might find the same thing. Hopefully you can find someone who can set it up for you. Other than that, not a lot. Gearing maybe depending on your track. Use 110/70 and 140/70 race tires. I'm using Pirelli SC1 DOT race tires, they work pretty good.

acruhl

Country flag
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1T42Kjs53Xbad4d_krrIw5OPAEve9NntuLEwNRPkrnOY/ This tells you about gearing. Done by Formula390, buy parts there if you get a chance. I went up 1 in the front and down 1 in the rear so I didn't have to break the chain. This is pretty tall but makes it much nicer on the freeway. The stock gearing will probably be fine for most tracks as far as top speed unless the straight is super fast. At my track there are a few key areas I gear for is all. You lose too much momentum if you have to shift sometimes. Hitting the limiter is not really an option, it's too severe.

ktmnoel

Country flag
thanks for help. really appreciate it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1T42Kjs53Xbad4d_krrIw5OPAEve9NntuLEwNRPkrnOY/ This tells you about gearing. Done by Formula390, buy parts there if you get a chance. I went up 1 in the front and down 1 in the rear so I didn't have to break the chain. This is pretty tall but makes it much nicer on the freeway. The stock gearing will probably be fine for most tracks as far as top speed unless the straight is super fast. At my track there are a few key areas I gear for is all. You lose too much momentum if you have to shift sometimes. Hitting the limiter is not really an option, it's too severe.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
As acruhl says, gearing is track specific... there is no one answer for everyone. Basically, if you aren't hitting (or almost hitting readline) in top gear, you can likely gear down as you are leaving acceleration on the table. You'll lose top speed, but gain acceleration. If you are hitting redline in top gear, gear up, so you have a higher top speed. Some guys on REALLY short tracks never even get into 5th gear, much less redline in top... in which case you can gear WAAAAAY down and have a wheelie machine! :) YOu'll be dancing on the shifter more, but you'll be pulling out of turns like a scalded ape. Gearing is track and rider specific. My spreadsheet should help with gearing decisions...

ktmnoel

Country flag
Appreciate the reply. I've been racing woods for years and have never changed out my sprocket combo, so this road thing is going to have a learning curve. Just got some stuff for the bike from you, thanks.

As acruhl says, gearing is track specific... there is no one answer for everyone. Basically, if you aren't hitting (or almost hitting readline) in top gear, you can likely gear down as you are leaving acceleration on the table. You'll lose top speed, but gain acceleration. If you are hitting redline in top gear, gear up, so you have a higher top speed. Some guys on REALLY short tracks never even get into 5th gear, much less redline in top... in which case you can gear WAAAAAY down and have a wheelie machine! :) YOu'll be dancing on the shifter more, but you'll be pulling out of turns like a scalded ape. Gearing is track and rider specific. My spreadsheet should help with gearing decisions...