Fitment issues with race upper cowl and windscreen

green_bread

Country flag
Hello!

I have the race upper cowl and the windscreen that goes with it. Both of these items came pre-drilled, but the holes arent even close to lining up. I can only get bolts in 2 of the holes at the same time. Even trying to flex the cowl or the screen a little bit doesnt help.

Has anyone else had issues with this? I expect there to be some fitment issues with pre-drilled stuff... but this is like they didnt even measure when drilling... or even look at what they were doing. Youd expect things to at least be close when the screen and the cowl both come from the same place/manufacturer.

Was the cowl even supposed to be pre-drilled? The pics on formula390.com dont show pre-drilled holes for the windscreen in the fiberglass cowl, but there are pre-drilled holes in the carbon one.

Last edited:

green_bread

Country flag
This is with bolts in the top 2 holes:
12422362_10153554130782684_1691625572_o.jpg

Rexbo

Country flag
Wait till you try fitting the side panels... I spent about 2 hours with the dremel trying to get those to fit.

Really odd considering the tail section, wind screen and belly pan fit beautifully.

green_bread

Country flag
Wait till you try fitting the side panels... I spent about 2 hours with the dremel trying to get those to fit.

Really odd considering the tail section, wind screen and belly pan fit beautifully.

That sucks. I was looking at ordering those, too, but if that's the case, Ill spend that $400 on something else and just keep using the stock side panels.

It makes me wonder if they do better QC on their carbon parts. I know if I was dropping that kind of money on carbon parts and then having to drill in to it with a Dremel because it doesnt fit right, Id be pretty upset.

I do agree that the tail section and belly pans fit awesome. Not sure what happened with these other items.

RobbiRob76

This was the same for me with the "chain guard"... No location hole drilled for top tab on the swingarm, and I also had to clearance the backside of the guard because it was rubbing on the chain. I was extremely bummed. To Formula 390's credit they offered to replace, but I was traveling & moving for work simultaneously and had no time for shipping product back and forth. I had a similar issue with the battery box cover. The holes the tabs slide through were not even close. I had to file the openings on both side and cut the grommets down to fit... I really like the stuff, but I expect more for the dollars spent. I was going to finish out the rest of the bike in carbon, but not any longer. I have done the Chain Guard/Hugger, Tank/Battery Cover, and Front Fender.I wanted to do Rear Seat and side fairings, but I don't see it happening after reading this thread. Quality Control is everything to me, and I will pay the money no questions asked. As long as I get what I paid for....

I was considering purchasing a few Tyga items but I would not take the risk of spending heaps of cash only to find I have to drill holes - add spacers etc.... The biggest issue would be getting a replacement - / freight half way around the world - I will hold off on the new rear seat replacement until I see feedback when they are released - time will tell

SneakyOwl

Damn, red lights everywhere!
I hope the QC improves over the time it will take me to buy the parts (performance parts first!)

RobbiRob76

Damn, red lights everywhere!
I hope the QC improves over the time it will take me to buy the parts (performance parts first!)

I am somewhat surprised this thread has been out here for over a week, and no one has spoken to these issues? If you want people to buy your products, how do not address the quality questions and explain what systems are being put into place to give the potential customers peace of mind this is fixed and they can order with confidence the product will show up correct and ready to mount?

I am somewhat surprised this thread has been out here for over a week, and no one has spoken to these issues? If you want people to buy your products, how do not address the quality questions and explain what systems are being put into place to give the potential customers peace of mind this is fixed and they can order with confidence the product will show up correct and ready to mount?

I Agree obvious no care from supplier and = lost sales - I would purchase a rear replacement pillion seat with the new carbon version coming out but not until I have some sort of assurance it will fit

Mr Bean

The tail/seat section fits best of all so no worries there. I didn't have a problem with the upper cowl and windscreen or the bellypan however the side panels took a bit of work to fit..

Matt@TYGA

Supporting Vendor
Thank you for the feedback on the quality issues relating to the TYGA composite parts. We do take all comments and issues very seriously and if anyone has any issue then please send us an email and we will always do our best to put things right. I need to stress that the parts are all handmade and there are always minor imperfections and differences as is the case with nearly all composite parts that I have ever seen. It comes down to expectations and value for money and we aim to provide the highest quality products at the best possible price. We have strict levels of QC and QA to prevent mistakes but even so, occasionally, a part will slip through which is not up to standard and if this is the case, we urge our customers to DIRECTLY contact us or the distributor they bought the TYGA part from to address the issue and find a solution which is satisfactory to the customer. In most cases we are able to do this, either directly or through Formula390; Matt being a very active member on this forum. It should be stressed that the vast majority of our customers are happy with the quality and it is human nature that they are going to be the silent majority and it the few who have issues who will obviously (and correctly) be more vocal. The problem is trying to address these issues on a public forum without it degenerating into a public slagging match which I believe most reader don’t want to read and is not very constructive for any of the parties concerned. It was for this reason that I have been reticent in placing a comment, not a lack of concern or interest in the reputation of our products. In two of the three cases mentioned in this thread, I believe Matt has reached out to the concerned parties and offered a solution previous to their posts here.

In the case of the hugger, he offered a replacement but this was declined as admitted by the poster here. In a situation like this, it is very hard to satisfy a customer as we have not even been given the opportunity to see the issues, let alone resolve them. We have to first establish the part is to blame and not the installation. Following from the comments of the poster, we unpacked our entire inventory of huggers and we couldn’t find any parts that had the same issue that the poster described so it is hard to do much in such a situation. Regarding the hole in the hugger, it is true they were not drilled but the specification on the carbon part did not require this as it is not a fixed mounting point (there are 6 other fixed mounting points) and the positon is used a location slot. The hugger is very rigidly mounted and there is no issue of it rattling around etc. However, a hole can easily be drilled in this area and for the sake of any misunderstandings, we have elected to drill this hole in subsequent part. I do stress that the hole is unnecessary and anyone who has mounted this part I think could verify this is the case.

In the case of the windscreen, this is a fair comment and I can understand the customer’s dissatisfaction. For the record, the screens were drilled to match the upper cowlings since there are always small variations between holes if they are hand drilled separately. On our other models, the screen factory drills slots the holes but they are not very tidy and we wanted a neater solution for the RC390 and decided to drill prior to shipment. I believe the issue here is that the screens and uppers were sent as a batch to Formula390 and so the screens and their respective upper cowlings got separated (our fault and not Matt at Formula390’s). In the interests of avoiding this issue, we will provide the screens undrilled in future and will provide none drilled one to the poster via Formula390.

For the side cowlings, I’ve got to admit that these panels are very challenging to make. The design of the RC390 does not lend itself to making the panels in fiberglass at all. It is ironic that KTM’s slogan is ‘ready to race’ yet their fairings are such a bitch to reproduce unless you are injection molding them in plastic. I am not using this as an excuse but explaining that it is extremely difficult to make compared to say the days of old when you’d have one nice oval upper and lower. I agree that two hours to get the panels right is not ‘TYGA quality’ and you have the right to complain. We have taken the comments on board and will do our best to improve the quality, especially of the side cowlings. However, we do stress that these parts are handmade and depending on how picky you are, there are always small points which could be sanded, dremelled, filled etc. The vast majority of the feedback we receive is favorable so hopefully, after reading this post, maybe some more members attest to our quality and join the others who have already done so.

We have been in business for fifteen years and a lot of the 390 owners are the same guys who bought parts for their NSR250s and VFR400s back in the day. We believe the RC390 will be a cornerstone of our business in the coming years and have a lot more exciting products on the way. We do take quality seriously and we do try our best to provide excellent customer care and are always available by email if you should have any reason to contact us, whether it be for quality or any other reasons.

Cheers,

Matt.

Thank you for the feedback on the quality issues relating to the TYGA composite parts. We do take all comments and issues very seriously and if anyone has any issue then please send us an email and we will always do our best to put things right. I need to stress that the parts are all handmade and there are always minor imperfections and differences as is the case with nearly all composite parts that I have ever seen. It comes down to expectations and value for money and we aim to provide the highest quality products at the best possible price. We have strict levels of QC and QA to prevent mistakes but even so, occasionally, a part will slip through which is not up to standard and if this is the case, we urge our customers to DIRECTLY contact us or the distributor they bought the TYGA part from to address the issue and find a solution which is satisfactory to the customer. In most cases we are able to do this, either directly or through Formula390; Matt being a very active member on this forum. It should be stressed that the vast majority of our customers are happy with the quality and it is human nature that they are going to be the silent majority and it the few who have issues who will obviously (and correctly) be more vocal. The problem is trying to address these issues on a public forum without it degenerating into a public slagging match which I believe most reader don’t want to read and is not very constructive for any of the parties concerned. It was for this reason that I have been reticent in placing a comment, not a lack of concern or interest in the reputation of our products. In two of the three cases mentioned in this thread, I believe Matt has reached out to the concerned parties and offered a solution previous to their posts here.

In the case of the hugger, he offered a replacement but this was declined as admitted by the poster here. In a situation like this, it is very hard to satisfy a customer as we have not even been given the opportunity to see the issues, let alone resolve them. We have to first establish the part is to blame and not the installation. Following from the comments of the poster, we unpacked our entire inventory of huggers and we couldn’t find any parts that had the same issue that the poster described so it is hard to do much in such a situation. Regarding the hole in the hugger, it is true they were not drilled but the specification on the carbon part did not require this as it is not a fixed mounting point (there are 6 other fixed mounting points) and the positon is used a location slot. The hugger is very rigidly mounted and there is no issue of it rattling around etc. However, a hole can easily be drilled in this area and for the sake of any misunderstandings, we have elected to drill this hole in subsequent part. I do stress that the hole is unnecessary and anyone who has mounted this part I think could verify this is the case.

In the case of the windscreen, this is a fair comment and I can understand the customer’s dissatisfaction. For the record, the screens were drilled to match the upper cowlings since there are always small variations between holes if they are hand drilled separately. On our other models, the screen factory drills slots the holes but they are not very tidy and we wanted a neater solution for the RC390 and decided to drill prior to shipment. I believe the issue here is that the screens and uppers were sent as a batch to Formula390 and so the screens and their respective upper cowlings got separated (our fault and not Matt at Formula390’s). In the interests of avoiding this issue, we will provide the screens undrilled in future and will provide none drilled one to the poster via Formula390.

For the side cowlings, I’ve got to admit that these panels are very challenging to make. The design of the RC390 does not lend itself to making the panels in fiberglass at all. It is ironic that KTM’s slogan is ‘ready to race’ yet their fairings are such a bitch to reproduce unless you are injection molding them in plastic. I am not using this as an excuse but explaining that it is extremely difficult to make compared to say the days of old when you’d have one nice oval upper and lower. I agree that two hours to get the panels right is not ‘TYGA quality’ and you have the right to complain. We have taken the comments on board and will do our best to improve the quality, especially of the side cowlings. However, we do stress that these parts are handmade and depending on how picky you are, there are always small points which could be sanded, dremelled, filled etc. The vast majority of the feedback we receive is favorable so hopefully, after reading this post, maybe some more members attest to our quality and join the others who have already done so.

We have been in business for fifteen years and a lot of the 390 owners are the same guys who bought parts for their NSR250s and VFR400s back in the day. We believe the RC390 will be a cornerstone of our business in the coming years and have a lot more exciting products on the way. We do take quality seriously and we do try our best to provide excellent customer care and are always available by email if you should have any reason to contact us, whether it be for quality or any other reasons.

Cheers,

Matt.

Thank you and very well explained - I have your Tyga rear sets and have to say they are top quality and I will be proceeding to purchase your rear seat cowl knowing that you would address any issues if they were to arise - Like you say you guys have been around for years and produce great products. I think this tread has been good for your business with such a great reply thanks again - Oh yea it is hard enough taking the side panels off and on the bike let alone trying to produce new panels so well done :)

RobbiRob76

Cheers,

Matt.

Matt,
Without going into self defensive mode and taking this personal, Photos were sent and with every mounting point attached. There was an issue with fit. More than the mounting hole, being the issue the entire piece was warped... Warped to the point I had to "clearance" the back side by removing material because the entire piece was skewed to the left,( clutch side ) and the entire panel was rubbing on the chain from the inside. Again every mounting point was attached. I understand these are hand made, I understand each is finished but unless someone builds and uses "Go" / "No Go" gauges and uses them a part should not leave the distributor.... I would not be so frustrated except I had to do the same thing to both holes on the battery box cover. I have a huge carbon fiber fetish.... My watch, my wallet, my road bicycle and my wheels all carbon fiber, rather than displace the blame of not getting a part back. There was no way possible, I travel for months at a time in the same industry as you. What cannot happen is receive a quality concern, from a customer and turn around and send the next part that your distributor admitted he could do any kind of quality check before he sent. He did not have the time nor the gauges to unwrap every part, so please do not say "if we had received the part back." You had the part before it was shipped, and shipped it to a customer who had a previous bad experience without checking the fit...
Robbi

Last edited:

green_bread

Country flag
Excellent response, Matt! There is no need to send me another screen. I honestly had a brain fart moment and didn't think about the fact I could just drill the screen to match the holes on the cowl. Yes, there are extra holes now and a couple of the new ones were close to the old ones, so it made it a little tricky, but I got it done and nobody will see the extra holes, so it's no biggy. Especially on a cheap part. I'll admit that I was probably a little too harsh about the fitment of the parts.

I also want to stress again that the belly pan and tail section fit perfectly and are excellent craftsmanship!

I'm looking forward to seeing that exhaust you guys are working on!

RobbiRob76

Matt... One last thing!!! I WANT TO BUY YOUR PRODUCTS! I WANT TO BE A FAN OF YOUR PRODUCTS!... We may be using images of my bike in future promos, just find a way to let us know the systems are in place to eliminate risk. PRICE is not the issue. I love the way the products look, and the little issues with the inconsistencies of hand made products will never be an issue, That is part the hand made patina. Please get this under control and you will get my last penny.
Robbi

Rexbo

Country flag

Totally agree, that's why I didn't want to hassle you guys for a replacement. The overall quality of things has been excellent, and I would definitely buy again, which is why I was willing to chalk it up to maybe I just happened to get a set that maybe the specific tolerances didn't stack up right, causing interference. These are complex parts, and its impressive that they were able to be made to fit.

Rexbo

Country flag

Totally agree, that's why I didn't want to hassle you guys for a replacement. The overall quality of things has been excellent, and I would definitely buy again, which is why I was willing to chalk it up to maybe I just happened to get a set that maybe the specific tolerances didn't stack up right, causing interference. These are complex parts, and its impressive that they were able to be made to fit.