Fork Through Bolt, what/where is it?

El_Bard0

Country flag
Trying to figure out which way to go on fork cartridges, and cannot determine if my 2020 RC has a fork through bolt or not! Trying googling pictures, tried the parts fiche, and nothing. Where the hell is this bolt supposed to be or not be so that I can look for it on my bike?

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
Threaded into the bottom of the cartridge, through the bottom of the fork leg. Access to it is blocked by the axle when the wheel is installed, but there would be an access hole in the bottom of the fork leg that you can feel if you put your finger on the bottom end of the fork leg. You can also see it if you either use a mirror or lie on the floor and look upward at the bottom of the fork.

HTH.

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
You don't have to take off the wheel. Just feel or look for the hole as I wrote.

El_Bard0

Country flag
So I felt around for the hole and took off the wheel (good practice anyway and it's easy enough) and no hole whatsoever. I'm thoroughly confused, since I wanted to get the Ohlins NIX30 cartridge but they're only for through bolt forks even though they're listed for the 2018-2019 RC 390s. So my only option is the Andreanis?

Last edited:

El_Bard0

Country flag
Can anyone confirm if the forks on a US 2018 or 2019 RC390 have a through bolt or not? Reason I'm asking is that my dealer says the fork part numbers are the same on a 2020 and 2018 for the forks.

louis041

Country flag
I checked my 2019 and there is no hole for a through bolt. I looked on KTM world and they did not have the part diagram for a 2020 but you might be able to ask the dealer if the part numbers are the same for a 2019 and 2020.

Front fork for 2019:
Left: 93501001100
Right: 93501002100

El_Bard0

Country flag
Thanks, those are the part numbers that show up for the 2018 on the online fiches, which tracks as the being the same as the 2020's (non through bolt, at least on my bike).

Anyone care to shed some light into what's different between the '15-'16 forks and the '17+ as far as the internals? I'm again thoroughly confused as to why there are listing of fork cartridges for the '15-'16 and '17+ or even '18-'19 (Ohlins) that aren't for this bike.

Karfanatik

Country flag
Just chiming in. My 2019 Canadian model has NON through bolt forks. Looks like Ohlins is not on the menu anymore. Likely gonna go with the Andy 105/KT2's.

El_Bard0

Country flag
I called GP like ReidMcT suggested and they said their cartridge is for all RC390s, so that's what I'm going with. The ktech and mantis should fit as well but Ohlins is for sure out.

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
While you wait for your new cartridges, you may want to be sure you have the necessary special tools if you're going to DIY:
Heat gun
Pin spanner
Clip-on handlebar or similar deviuce (to grip the fork tub when unscrewing it from its base)

Helpful but not essential:
Fork oil level tool
End-mill bit to clean up damaged threads on fork tube caused by the small set screw

El_Bard0

Country flag
The most frustrating part IMO are the parts not listed correctly, like with the Ohlins. I shouldn't have to go asking, digging, calling people up, looking through parts fiche, researching pictures of forks to find out if the damn parts fit. I hadn't run into this crap in the car world, so I don't know if it's because the RC390 market is so small that companies don't care or what.