Front caliper - winding back pistons

Biker

Country flag
Whilst changing the front fork seals I inadvertently managed to press the brake lever (whilst it was dangling loose off the disc) resulting in the front pads now tightly pressed against each other.

Before I do anything further stupid grateful if someone could please give me a guide as to how to rectify this.

Thanks in advance!

antarius

Remove the brake master cylinder cap.

Use a small flathead screwdriver and push it between the brake pads to spread them apart and presss the pistons back.

Bolt everything back together.

isaac_

Remove the pin that runs through the pads. You’ll need a torx bit but I don’t know what size. See if you can physically remove the pads. That will give you maybe half an inch of space between the buckets. Take a channel lock wrench and squeeze the buckets back. Put a little pressure on the other buckets as you use the wrench so they don’t go out further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NO...NO...don't use a screw driver or pliers. That just risks damaging the pad material. Go to your local hardware store and buy the small plastic (yellow colour) wedge splitter. This little plastic wedge is used for splitting wood for fireplaces. There are two sizes and you want the small one. They are cheap and strong enough to push the pads apart without having to take the pads off the caliper and don't damage the pads. parillaguy

Tom

+1 for what Issac said.

Here's a quick guide on how easy this should be for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lOaq_Fa0ds

If you have manly hands, just press all of the pistons back in at the same time with your hand, no need for a caliper spanner. Dont death grip it, just firm pressure, and the pistons will slowly travel back.

Last edited: