Getting vinyl wrap, anyone else?

Arahant

Country flag
I'm looking into getting a vinyl wrap for my RC 390. To be honest I like the stock look alot, I don't have any problems with it... and I'm sometimes having doubts wether I should even go through with it... but I'v already put down a deposit for the custom design process.

I'm hoping it turns out well, I have some previews I'v been sent but I think I"d prefer to wait untill the bike is actually wrapped before posting any pics.

Anyone else thinking of wrapping their bike? with either a custom wrap, or maby just getting some bulk vinyl online and wrapping it one color... wrapping some pieces(I know some have already done that)... or even buying the decal sets that KTM sells? I actually ordered the Neon decal set before deciding to do the vinyl wrap, so not sure what I'm going to do with that now... I think I will get the precise measurements of it and post it online for everyone to make their own custom decals if they want.

mr-fabricator

I to realy like the stock decals but its a race bike so needs to be more race orientated and room for sponsors in the future , i have wrapped a few bits in carbon vinyl to good effect . I guess youll never know untill u try and physically see the finished artical infront of u

ray

I have got the ADAC wrap printed, need to wrap it soon. Will post pictures once done.

emeglasson

I had a local company do a wrap based on KTM's available 'race' graphics. Photos below. These guys will happily work with you to print a set for your bike. You just need good decal applying skills, as they are quite a bit stickier than a normal sticker. We just finished up getting all of the templates built for the nose and tail. They can customize anyway you want, obviously for a price. I chose to go with a matte finish to see how it looked. It's good, but shiny looks great also! They can do thin decals (like stock) or thick, like the KTM aftermarket versions, which are more like dirt bike thickness. My bike is going back on Thursday to get the sides re-printed (white background instead of the grey fade) and adjust a few other small details; this was a 'first draft'. The front number plate will be revised to be larger as well.

The company is called Dealin in Signs. Located in Bend, Oregon, USA. If you are interested, contact Stephanie at [email protected] They are very helpful, and very enthusiastic about the bikes.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPG

mr-fabricator

I had a local company do a wrap based on KTM's available 'race' graphics. Photos below. These guys will happily work with you to print a set for your bike. You just need good decal applying skills, as they are quite a bit stickier than a normal sticker. We just finished up getting all of the templates built for the nose and tail. They can customize anyway you want, obviously for a price. I chose to go with a matte finish to see how it looked. It's good, but shiny looks great also! They can do thin decals (like stock) or thick, like the KTM aftermarket versions, which are more like dirt bike thickness. My bike is going back on Thursday to get the sides re-printed (white background instead of the grey fade) and adjust a few other small details; this was a 'first draft'. The front number plate will be revised to be larger as well.

The company is called Dealin in Signs. Located in Bend, Oregon, USA. If you are interested, contact Stephanie at [email protected] They are very helpful, and very enthusiastic about the bikes.

View attachment 858View attachment 859View attachment 860View attachment 861

That looks great buddy, well done :)

dcs

I'm having my bmw s1000r wrap today
if I have extra vinyl I might wrap my gf rc also
I went with the gulf lemans design

emeglasson

Thanks Lee. And I realized, it is probably more accurate to call it 'printed vinyl decals' as opposed to a 'wrap'. I believe the products are a little different, but I'm not really sure.

RC_AB

I just finished putting on my KTM powerparts "race" graphics kit today, got the Tyga race belly pan in today so it was time to put the graphics kit on. I'm quite happy with it, it goes up under the passenger seat (not pictured) and onto the tank. They do not come precut for the race belly pan though. They have a stock pan precut one and another one that I'm not sure what it fits (maybe the duke)
.11541928_10152863392577064_4271273170674920602_n.jpg

desmo

Awesome, I like that! How did your exhaust sound / feel from stock? Guessing it included the chip and K&N mods.

ClassicSauber87

I was actually looking at the same exhaust. How does it sound? Can you post a clip if possible...and of course wraps look great man

ToraTora

Country flag
eme, that looks fantastic. Did you do the design work? Do they give you templets to work with in say Illustrator format, and then just do a print/cut, and say thank you very much, or are they more involved?

emeglasson

Exhaust: Yeah, I love the Arrow GP can. Quality is absolutely top notch, and I thought the price was reasonable. (I think about $550 on ebay) It is loud, beware, even with the quiet insert (which must be purchased separately). For me personally, it's a bit louder than I'd prefer for street riding. I don't like pissing off my neighbors. For the track, I'm totally fine with it. Quite a few people commented that it sounds unique, and sounds like a proper, 'real' motorcycle. Other things to be aware of: it does not come with an exhaust hanger; it is meant to attach to the passenger peg. I fabricated the hanger that's on my bike.

Also (I hope someone at Arrow reads this) the mid pipe, (the connector between the expansion chamber and the muffler) is about one inch too long. It all fits fine, but it sticks too far off the side of the bike. My first outing I scraped the pipe. I cut one inch off the mid pipe and moved the spring perch. Now, it sits closer to the swing arm (still plenty of clearance) and I have all the clearance I need for lean angles at the track. So, while it is an awesome system, it took a bit of extra customizing to get it just right. Also worth noting, I chose to cut the back of the stock belly pan so it isn't coming through the hole. It fit through the hole fine, but was a bit of a hassle for oil changes. This makes everything way simpler, and IMO cleaner looking.

Yes, I used a K&N filter and had the ECU re-flashed at the dealer. The re-flash is intended to go with KTM's Akra system, so any dealer should be able to do it. My Power Commander is on the way. Once that arrives, I'll get it on the dyno for a proper tune. Yes, even without a proper tune, I can feel the difference from the stock setup.

And, sorry, but I may be too technologically challenged to manage posting a video. I'll try when I have some time.

Wrap: I did the basic design work, but I don't know how to use illustrator, so I did it the old fashioned way. (on paper). The designer at the sign shop drew it all up in illustrator, or maybe it was indesign?? They have the templates in their computer, I do not. They provide proofs (renderings) for me to review, and we had a bit of back and forth until it was the way I liked it. So, yes, they were very involved in the design process. If you wanted to design it yourself on the computer, I suspect they would work with you to do that, (share the templates) and they could just print whatever you sent them.

Last edited:

ryandalling

Wrap: I did the basic design work, but I don't know how to use illustrator, so I did it the old fashioned way. (on paper). The designer at the sign shop drew it all up in illustrator, or maybe it was indesign?? They have the templates in their computer, I do not. They provide proofs (renderings) for me to review, and we had a bit of back and forth until it was the way I liked it. So, yes, they were very involved in the design process. If you wanted to design it yourself on the computer, I suspect they would work with you to do that, (share the templates) and they could just print whatever you sent them.

What was the cost? I am wondering if we can use your design as a starting point for them... maybe make the next few easier to render for other peeps...

emeglasson

I actually don't know the cost yet(!); we are making one more set of mods tomorrow. I'll post the price when we are done. But, I will be paying for all of the stenciling and general set up work. Anyone that comes along after me will get a much better price, as you will only be dealing with the graphic design and vinyl printing portion.

Arahant

Country flag
Nice some good looking wraps already on some bikes, I just have finished working with a company designing a wrap... I"ll post a pic once its on the bike.

Also I ordered same exhaust, the Arrow one you have on it, good to hear you like it... although not sure I'd like my bike to be to loud... I figured an insert came with it, I should probably order it... I already got my DNA filter and power commander in the mail just waiting for the exhaust to install them all at the same time.

Cost for wrap is 400$ if you pick a design they already have... more for a custom design. I am going try and apply the wrap myself.

emeglasson

I got my bike back on Friday. I had the wrap re-done slightly. We got rid of the grey fade (which looked a little green-ish) and now have a white back ground. I think it looks a better. It has a matte finish. I am still waiting on the owner of the wrap company to give me price range for the wraps. As soon as she does, I'll post it here. She can print custom versions for anyone.

And....I'm finally going to get to spend some time with my bike, installing all of these goodies that have been piling up in the garage! Penske rear shock, clip-on bars, Tyga rear sets, and the power commander.

photo.JPG z.jpg

ray

That's really neat buddy! Anyway these guys could ship these out? :) Also what rim stripes are those?

emeglasson

Yeah, they would happily print you a set and ship them to India (that's where you are, right?) You'd just have to get in touch with Stephanie and giver her your address. I believe she accepts credit / debit card payments, not sure she does pay pal. I just spoke with her; to get this exact wrap the cost is US $175, not including shipping. To have some minor variations, (at least have your own name printed on the windscreen and your own number) you are looking at about US $225. It will vary depending how much you ask to change. If you are local, and you want her to apply it, the cost goes up.

If you are interested, email Stephanie directly, she is great to work with. She could print you a set exactly like mine, or make some changes to customize them a bit. If you make any changes, they'll send you a proof to review before they print the decals. I will get some more photos posted so you can see all sides, but the bike is at the shop getting some dyno work right now.

The rim strips are from ebay:
Wheel Rim Stripes Tape Decals Graphic KTM RC8 690 Duke 1290 Super R 125 390 SMC | eBay
you have to specifically ask for a black / white kit. I had to trim them a bit, as they are made for wider wheels.

Willasan

I'm thinking about putting angry eyebrows above the lights on the windscreen and a shark mouth on the upper portion of the fairings. Opinions?